Dish knows they upset a lot of people by the lack of new HD in Feburary

jeslevine

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Quite a few of us thought Feburary was going to bring some new HD, and it really didn't

That is why I feel that within 3 months we will see more HD

Why else would they throw existing customers, HBO/STARZ for 3 months, no commitment and the same deal for HD Platinum with no commitment.

You do know that Dish and Direct have the same amount of national HD channels, right? (Direct has 1 more national HD channel than Dish, and Dish has 4 more premium HD channels than Direct).
So either Dish has been adding a lot more HD channels than Direct over the last few months to catch up, or the whole "Dish is so far behind Direct in HD channels.../Direct keeps adding HD while Dish doesn't..." line that people were being fed here was a load of crap...
As far as the HBO/STARZ promo, hasn't that been around for a few months now?

Hmm...I thought their standard answer was "Soon":p

Their answer is always "soon." However since they are ripping their customers off more in Feb. and blame it on them getting so many more HD channels, that most people figured they had them lined up. Now the rates go up and we get nothing to show for it.

Check the history of February price increases. Very few new channels there.

Giving the restored margin away quickly leads to more price increases.

Last edited:
Not in so many words, but Scott had a thread which indicated

Did Dish say they'd be adding new HD channels in February ?

that Showtime, Comedy Central, and about 5 other channels were going to be added soon.

Sure it wasn't official, but the implication was there

You do know that Dish and Direct have the same amount of national HD channels, right? (Direct has 1 more national HD channel than Dish, and Dish has 4 more premium HD channels than Direct).
So either Dish has been adding a lot more HD channels than Direct over the last few months to catch up, or the whole "Dish is so far behind Direct in HD channels.../Direct keeps adding HD while Dish doesn't..." line that people were being fed here was a load of crap...

My point wasn't about who has or hasn't more HD channels, it was that there were posts, even from Scott about new HD coming to Dish in 2009, and the assumption, right or wrong was that it would coincide with the price increases.

Charlie also upset a few people when he removed Smithsonian, and replaced it with CI.

Dish lost about 100000 customers, and though I believe some of that was due to economic factors, I also believe that Charlie's style of removing channels, was also a factor

I was not happy when he removed Voom or Smithsonian, but it was not enough to make me leave, however it was enough to make me get rid of the Platinium HD package, which he subsequently gave a three month promotion for it

However, there are some channels that I would leave Dish if they got rid of, and am sure that some of that contributed to the 100K customer loss

I just thought this promotional might be incentive to those thinking of leaving to see what happens in the next three months

Last edited:

I don't think its the numbers to which people pay attention but the actual channels offered. D* has the Fox and Viacom suites, E* does not. E* has the two Lifetimes, D* does not. Which do you think people on this forum are yammering for, Lifetime or Fox/Viacom.