Dish Lan Conundrum

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

louisraritan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Denver
What I want to do:
I want to be able to watch live TV from my Dish Network 722k receiver in 3 different rooms. I want to accomplish this using only the equipment and technology that I currently own. (I know it is possible and I refuse to spend any more money)

Problem:
I have four cable outlets and the additional room I want one in (Kitchen) doesn’t have an outlet. The bedroom outlet where my receiver is located is dedicated to my Comcast High Speed Internet gateway. TV2 Is located in a different room. My HOA won’t allow me to run new cable on the outside of my home and I won’t tolerate cable running across my floor.

What I have to work with:
Dish Network 722k Receiver
2 LCD HD TV’s
HTPC (Windows Vista 64 host O/S as well as XP Media Center, Linux and Mythbuntu on virtual machines)
Laptop (Windows 7)
[URL="http://www.xbox.com/en-US/"]Xbox 360[/URL]
High Speed Internet connected to Dual Band Wireless N Router
Linksys 5Ghz Wireless Gaming Adapter
Hauppauge 950Q USB TV Tuner

So far, I have connected my 722K to my HDTV with HDMI and my HTPC from TV 2 Coax out. My modem and router are also at TV one with HTPC and 722K wired with broadband. Because of my outlet limitations I have chosen to broadcast TV2 through MCE via my wireless N 5Ghz router to my Xbox360 Extender. ( I tried to run both tv 2 and HSI on the same coax outlet with dual splitter config but it doesn’t work). Am nonplussed with the extenders picture quality as a direct tv2 connection was at least close to 720p and the MCE DVR buffer blows dongle. Now here is the kicker, still don’t have a solution for broadcasting to my laptop in the kitchen. This is where Mythbuntu comes in. I have read online that others have managed to stream live tv through Myth to a laptop client on LAN only. Right now my myth conundrum is that I only want to run Mythbuntu as virtual machine with windows as host os. Under virtual box, I haven’t found a way to make Mythbuntu see my usb tuner YET. Will post updates as I make headway. Does anyone else have any alternative suggestions?
The saga continues……

Last edited:
Thanks for reply Seth. That is a pretty good example of a standard Dish Pro install for multiple tv's. The setup I am working on is a little different, here is a pic of my system.

SystemDiagram.png

Attachments

• System Diagram.png
    System Diagram.png
    14 KB · Views: 158
Why not get a free (after gift card) Sling Adapter and go over your network to the HTPC or laptop?

@ Krell, I like the way you think. How do I go about obtaining a gift card? Sling really is the simplest way to stream live TV and I think old Charlie was smart for shacking up with Sling Media. Still, as media delivery moves to wireless home server configs, is a good idea to stay informed about linux. Will be an increased demand for savvy home media technologists to install and service the home based modern media server networks. I really would enjoy consulting, building and installing systems for people. Can imagine a wireless media demand/benefit for new construction, existing homes and even MDU's.

You need to order it from Dish via phone or chat. I think Dish IRT members can also set up the purchase correctly so that you get the gift card.

Thanks for reply Seth. That is a pretty good example of a standard Dish Pro install for multiple tv's. The setup I am working on is a little different, here is a pic of my system.

View attachment 70463
gotcha, i totally missed the wireless connections. i agree with the others, get a sling adapter and a rebate. I have a 922 and the sling comes in handy at times while i am at my computer. also you can watch your service away from your home as well, so that is a bonus too.

Agreed, sling link is my best and easiest bet. Still not done trying to find a software solution. Playing around with Tversity. If all else fails, will get a sling adapter. Anyone know why the 722k doesn't get the same GUI as the 922? Is it because it isn't possible or because it isn't offered?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)