DISH launches OnTech Smart Services, a new direct-to-consumer smart home solutions brand

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I want a service provider/tech who is trained with a specific skillset, not a company trying to side hustle by cross-training satellite techs to do home networking and IT. Not saying you couldn't do it well, HipKat but I haven't met a Dish tech yet who knows much about networking.

Thing is it takes years for a good Installer to learn the tricks and the ins/outs of doing it properly.
You get the revolving door effect with low pay and "drop in" jobs on them when they are 40miles+ away from it at 4pm... its just stupid.
Not to mention the nonsense metrics you must maintain that are mostly out of your control.
You get them to do home networking on top if it and the common tech just has no idea what is going on. They force this stuff on them so it makes them waste more time for nothing or very little pay. Techs don't get paid for the time they get paid for the job... a 4 room when I left it was only paying $65 - that is IT!! It was just completely stupid at that amount..before via sat took over my old RSP we were near $100 a 4 room so yeah there are no original techs left..who in their right mind would stay.

Let them come install, service your satellite system..and leave.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Ohh and I don't recommend any anti virus software if you are a decently tech savvy user... just be careful what you click on and use portable cleaners for malware from time to time vs installing.
I've worked on computers for nearly 25 years now on the side.. If there is a big ole oak tree down the road..no matter how many air bags your car has if you want to hit that sucker you can hit it as fast and hard as you can...doesn't matter what those airbags do or are there for.

Ohh and I don't recommend any anti virus software if you are a decently tech savvy user... just be careful what you click on and use portable cleaners for malware from time to time vs installing.
I've worked on computers for nearly 25 years now on the side.. If there is a big ole oak tree down the road..no matter how many air bags your car has if you want to hit that sucker you can hit it as fast and hard as you can...doesn't matter what those airbags do or are there for.

You don't have to click on anything to get malware from legitimate sites. Ad networks are lousy with it, and even the best ad blocker doesn't catch everything. Google plays whackamole, but it is hard to keep up. How do you know you are infected if you don't have anything monitoring for suspicious activity. At least have an IDS running on your network.

You don't have to click on anything to get malware from legitimate sites.

Ladies in the office who use Facebook during the day have had their computers infected with malware. I'm nice because I don't block Facebook use at work, but I wish people understood that Facebook is the modern equivalent of Limewire IMO, at least when it comes to spreading malware.

Ladies in the office who use Facebook during the day have had their computers infected with malware. I'm nice because I don't block Facebook use at work, but I wish people understood that Facebook is the modern equivalent of Limewire IMO, at least when it comes to spreading malware.

Yeah, FB is terrible. Like Limewire, people can expect to get infected from time to time. A lot of the Crowdstrike hits we see is FB, at least the stuff it catches. Most of the nasty stuff is RDP exploits.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Yea, I got 1903 last month and it's been good for me too.

I see some of the horror stories about it at tenforums.com and it's scary though. :eeek
I'll have to look those up. I know one guy with legacy WiFi Adapter drivers on an older laptop and it killed his WiFi

Thing is it takes years for a good Installer to learn the tricks and the ins/outs of doing it properly.
You get the revolving door effect with low pay and "drop in" jobs on them when they are 40miles+ away from it at 4pm... its just stupid.
Not to mention the nonsense metrics you must maintain that are mostly out of your control.
You get them to do home networking on top if it and the common tech just has no idea what is going on. They force this stuff on them so it makes them waste more time for nothing or very little pay. Techs don't get paid for the time they get paid for the job... a 4 room when I left it was only paying $65 - that is IT!! It was just completely stupid at that amount..before via sat took over my old RSP we were near $100 a 4 room so yeah there are no original techs left..who in their right mind would stay.

Let them come install, service your satellite system..and leave.
Ontech is not people who do Dish installs, services or Dishnet. It's a separate "division" like Samsung is, with different uniforms logos, van wraps, etc.

That's why I advise staying off games or the "What 80's Movie Are You" type of apps.

Reactions: satjay
I advise people to stay off FB altogether, but that's difficult for most (especially ladies, it seems)

It's not all bad. There's a page for the Camp I was stationed at when I was in Korea and I've ran into guys I never thought I'd see again, for example

It's not all bad. There's a page for the Camp I was stationed at when I was in Korea and I've ran into guys I never thought I'd see again, for example

There is plenty of good stuff on it, but the platform itself is garbage. Google+ was far superior in software design, but being first to market by a few years gave FB all the momentum they needed to remain #1.

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
There is plenty of good stuff on it, but the platform itself is garbage. Google+ was far superior in software design, but being first to market by a few years gave FB all the momentum they needed to remain #1.
Totally agree on G+. There was a lot of good about it. Google just came way to late to the game

They're doing it everywhere, eventually, and "Geek Squad" IS a term used in the training, actually. Why is that a big deal? It's a business branching out into other areas to try and remain profitable
If they can do this RIGHT, they could make a lot of money and it could be a very big business. I know COUNTLESS people who just are at a loss when it comes to relatively simple problems, set-ups, understandings of technology in the home for the consumer learning how to use TV's, IOT, SmartPhones, etc. Others are lost without the IT fuy for hire they pay a lot of money to do all sorts of trivial, moderat, and really hard things, or even just hardware upgrades or how to use an app or program on a computer.

I've always wondered how seminars on this stuff would be sucessful.

Reactions: HipKat
I use Windows 10 Pro as well and it seems that every time there's an update or problem the first thing they tell you is to remove all third party AV software. :)
FWIW, Windows Defender was rated the HIGHEST among AV impressively beating every other AV (I belive with no false positives and detected everything thrown at it); Defender is all I use, and it has NO ADDITIONAL COST. Also, any AV, especially 3rd party AV is another attack surface regarding security, and frankly, today is a higher risk running 3rd party AV than the supposed protection it provides. AV's are also snoopy and DO TRACK and gather personal data on everything you do--and sell that data becasue that is how they offer it for FREE--becase they are inspecting everything to provide the supposed protection. Some FREE versions now have such disclaimers while others do not, but do, in fact, track and gathre data--because that is why it is FREE, and we can only hope they tell the truth when they claim that PAID versions do not track nor gather personal information. Further, the OS's are making near impossible for AV's to truly do their job or provide the security they claim to provide because the OS's MUST close the SAME holes that 3rd party AV uses that are also used by malicious actors in order to protect users--and better, absolute protection by closing those holes instead of HOPING a 3rd party AV can detect someting malicious (or false positive) since every AV scored lower than Defender.

Malware is real threat today, along with (Spear) Phishing, phony CA's and 3rd party sites that inject code that can be malicious (reputable sites that run reputable ads, fonts, etc. carrying the malicious code to your device that the 3rd party is unaware they have been hacked to send out the malicious code), so always use an add-on like uBlockOrigin that have other benifits and protections, and many more privacy and security add-ons. Really good and well known ad-ons provide better security consisitanlty than any 3rd party AV in several regards.

I think it was reported that simply NOT running Windows as an Administrator, but only as a Limtied User, solves about 98% of your problems, as well as running a really sucure browser, almost anything other than any version of Internet Explorer (although MS Edge--offered with Windows 10--is the first truly sufficienlty secure browser from Micrsoft EVER!). Chrome is still the most secure (but they are SNOOPY), so Firefox is a good alternative (they offer privacy) and with recent updates and more big changes to come, Firefox could be eqaully as secure as Chrome by the end of the tranformation.

Advice FWIW:
*Just use Windows Defender.
*Don't use Internet Explorer at all.
*Log on Windows as Limited User.
*Use a good malware scanner regularly like Malwarbytes, etc. (but not in "Real Time Mode" because that is invasive like an AV and could provide an attack surface).
*Don't click on any links in email unless you are EXPECTING such a link from a safe source (like a friend). Otherwise NEVER clink on any link even from what appears to be a reputable company with whom you have a realtionship, but instead go to the site yourself using your browser.
**Those are the threats today, not so much viruses.

There is more to add, but the point is that one really should NOT be using a 3rd party AV today. There are documented cases where 3rd party AV's have caused problems and NOT provided the security we are told they provide. It's the 2010's, not the 1990's. Threats and hackers have evolved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts