DISH launches OnTech Smart Services, a new direct-to-consumer smart home solutions brand

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
came across my twitter feed

- OnTech installs, integrates and educates consumers on smart home devices, home networking and entertainment systems from top brands
- OnTech technicians are professionally trained and insured
- OnTech can deliver and install products as soon as the same day
- OnTech launches initially in 11 markets offering products and services to all consumers

DISH launches OnTech Smart Services, a new direct-to-consumer smart home solutions brand

Reactions: ncted
I’m glad they aren’t doing it around here.

This smells of Geek Squad.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I’m glad they aren’t doing it around here.

This smells of Geek Squad.

They're doing it everywhere, eventually, and "Geek Squad" IS a term used in the training, actually. Why is that a big deal? It's a business branching out into other areas to try and remain profitable

"Geek Squad" IS a term used in the training, actually. Why is that a big deal?

Because the official "Geek Squad," when referring to Best Buy, is notorious for screwing up people's computers, giving bad IT advice, and simply aren't trained appropriately for the tasks they purport to perform. Therefore, at least in the IT world, the Geek Squad is laughed at as a bunch of amateur gamers who would likely otherwise be flipping burgers.

Can't tell you the number of times I've had stories of people paying lots of money to the Geek Squad, only to bring their computer to me to have fixed later. I tell people to avoid the Geeks for anything other than installing Zagg shields on your phone. They can usually do a decent job at that.

If you MUST take your PC or laptop in for repair, find a Micro Center. Those guys are the real deal and won't lie to you to make a buck. Micro Center is where the pros shop.

Because the official "Geek Squad," when referring to Best Buy, is notorious for screwing up people's computers, giving bad IT advice, and simply aren't trained appropriately for the tasks they purport to perform. Therefore, at least in the IT world, the Geek Squad is laughed at as a bunch of amateur gamers who would likely otherwise be flipping burgers.

Can't tell you the number of times I've had stories of people paying lots of money to the Geek Squad, only to bring their computer to me to have fixed later. I tell people to avoid the Geeks for anything other than installing Zagg shields on your phone. They can usually do a decent job at that.

If you MUST take your PC or laptop in for repair, find a Micro Center. Those guys are the real deal and won't lie to you to make a buck. Micro Center is where the pros shop.

I've worked in IT for 26 years, and I was not aware of this. We don't have Micro Center around here, although I wish we did. I send people to the Geek Squad regularly for help with their home PCs, and they seem to offer good advice and service. Our service desk hires a lot of them, and most turn out well. I've only had the Geek Squad deliver TVs and large appliances which they seemed to do just fine. I can't speak to Dish techs' networking savvy, but, given how simple most people's home networks are, I am pretty sure they could handle what most people are going to throw at them. Both of the Dish techs I've had at my current house were former Verizon phone techs who previously installed ISDN, DSL, DS, and Fiber service, so I'd expect them to do a fine job for most people.

I've worked in IT for 26 years, and I was not aware of this. We don't have Micro Center around here, although I wish we did. I send people to the Geek Squad regularly for help with their home PCs, and they seem to offer good advice and service. Our service desk hires a lot of them, and most turn out well. I've only had the Geek Squad deliver TVs and large appliances which they seemed to do just fine. I can't speak to Dish techs' networking savvy, but, given how simple most people's home networks are, I am pretty sure they could handle what most people are going to throw at them. Both of the Dish techs I've had at my current house were former Verizon phone techs who previously installed ISDN, DSL, DS, and Fiber service, so I'd expect them to do a fine job for most people.

I wouldn't hire the Geeks to wash my car. I've never heard of somebody having a good experience with them. Just listen to the people standing in line waiting at the Geek Squad counter sometime.

PS- one of my first experiences at this job (I've been here 18 years this July) was having to fix my boss's computer after he had taken it to the Geeks. They completely screwed it up. I've never trusted them since.

I wouldn't hire the Geeks to wash my car. I've never heard of somebody having a good experience with them. Just listen to the people standing in line waiting at the Geek Squad counter sometime.

Honestly, there's almost never a line of any sort a my BB. When there is, it is usually someone dropping off or picking up their computer. I've never heard anyone complain. One of our newest service desk guys worked there and he speaks highly of the experience. I'm sure there are reasons for the reputation, but I wasn't aware it was a thing based on my personal experiences and those of friends and family. Thinking back, the worst thing I can say about GS is they failed to get all the viruses off my niece's Packard Bell back in the early 2000s when she installed Limewire.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

PS- one of my first experiences at this job (I've been here 18 years this July) was having to fix my boss's computer after he had taken it to the Geeks. They completely screwed it up. I've never trusted them since.

Well Geek Squad as we know it now as acquired and rolled out by Best Buy in 2004. Just 14 short years ago. If that was your experience 18 year ago it was not the GS we know today. Not defending GS, just point out the time line does not match unless it was with the seperate company that started before the BB acquisition

Well Geek Squad as we know it now as acquired and rolled out by Best Buy in 2004

Good to know. Usually if I (or someone I know) gets burned by a company, they never get another chance. I have used the geeks to install Zagg Shields, but I haven't used them for anything else since early 2000's.

I still stand behind my earlier statement that Micro Center is the best (if there is one in your area).

My one experience with Dish Protect Smart Services was handled very well. I asked if Webroot would work well with Norton on my computers. He answered immediately and said they coexist well. I then installed Webroot since it was provided as part of the Dish Protect Gold and it has worked fine.
The Dish Tech Advisor app on my phone has a bunch of articles that are pretty simplistic. Such as “How to connect your Smart TV to internet” , “Using ICloud Keychain to remember your Passwords” , “An easier way to share your location” , etc.
For some people those articles may be helpful. Keep in mind that SatelliteGuys users tend to be more tech savvy.

I want a service provider/tech who is trained with a specific skillset, not a company trying to side hustle by cross-training satellite techs to do home networking and IT. Not saying you couldn't do it well, HipKat but I haven't met a Dish tech yet who knows much about networking.

Normally, I might agree with you. However, I've had two recent experiences with DISH techs working on my Samsung appliances. Both were absolutely top notch. The techs knew their job and performed it excellently with a high level of professionalism.

With regards to a DISH tech not knowing much about networking, that's not what they were trained to do. However, if they are going to start dealing with networking, I expect that they can and will be trained.

There's no reason why an employee can't be trained to perform a multitude of tasks, not all related. If you don't believe they can, then you should never call the fire department during an emergency. Today's firefighters are trained, cross-trained, over-trained, and retrained. They're expected to be able to do everything from lighting your water heater to rendering life saving medical techniques. Putting out fires is way down the list nowadays.

JMO

Reactions: osumike
I recommend ESET over Norton these days. You might think about checking it out sometime :)

I used and recommended ESET for years and was always happy with it. Since Windows 10 came along with Windows Defender now being so robust I see no need for a third party anti virus anymore. Besides that Windows doesn't seem to like third party AV software much anymore either. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts