Dish lied to new customer -- can I get out of contract? (NBA pass)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Gosh - what are they thinking?
Perhaps the reason why Dish isn't picking up the NBA is because there isn't enough interest.......I used to be a big NBA fan. Went to a lot of games. Now I could not care less. The pro game stinks. College hoops is a far better product...

In the state where I live, all contracts for monthly service ( health clubs, etc. ) must allow the customer to change his mind within 30 days.

Your state may have the same.

Consumer Transactions with Statutory Contract Cancellation Rights in California....

A
Automobile Sales and Leases -- There is no statutory cancellation period for automobile sales or leases.

C
Credit Repair Services -- five day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1789.16).

D
Dance Studio Services -- indefinite cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1812.54(b).
Dating Services -- three business day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1694.1).
Dental Services Contracts -- three business day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1689.3).
Discount Buying Services -- three day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1812.118).
Door-to-Door Sales -- three business day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1689.6(a)).

E
Electric Service Contract -- three business day cancellation period (PUC 395).
Employment Counseling Services -- three business day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1812.511(a)(6)).
Endless Chain Scheme -- indefinite cancellation period when scheme is unlawful under Pen. Code § 327 (Civ. Code § 1689.2).

F
Funeral Contracts (pre-need) -- indefinite cancellation period (B&P 7737).

H
Health Studio Services -- five business day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1812.85(b)).
Home Equity Sale During Foreclosure -- five business day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1695.4(a)).
Home Improvements Contracts -- three business day cancellation period if a security interest results or may result (12 CFR 226.23)
Home Loans -- three business day cancellation period (12 CFR 226.23).
Home Repair or Restoration Contracts Following a Disaster -- seven business day cancellation period (unless contract is automatically void) (Civ. Code § 1689.6(c)).
Home-Secured Transactions -- three business day cancellation period (12 CFR 226.23).
Home Solicitation Sales -- three business day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1689.6).

I
Immigration Consultant Services -- three day cancellation period (B&P 22442(f)).
Insurance (life under-$10,000) -- between 10- and 30-day cancellation period as determined by insurer (Ins. Code § 10127.7).
Insurance (disability, seniors, life) -- 30-day cancellation period (Ins. Code 786).
Insurance (property) -- indefinite cancellation period (Ins. Code § 6010(a)).
Internet Sales (when order has not been filled) -- 30 day cancellation period (B&P 17538(a)).

J
Job Listing Services -- three business day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1812.516(a)(6)).

L
Legal Document Assistant -- 24 hour cancellation period (B&P 6410(e)).

M
Mail/Telephone Sales (when order has not been filled) -- 30 day cancellation period (B&P 17538(a), 16 CFR Part 435).
Membership Camping Contracts
  • If buyer visits site -- three business day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1812.303(a)).
  • If buyer does not visit site -- 10 business day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1812.304(a)).

Mortgage Foreclosure Consultant Services -- three business day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 2945.3(e)).

P
Personal Emergency Response Unit -- seven business day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1689.6(b)).
Private Child Support Collectors -- 15 business day cancellation period (Fam. Code § 5613(a)).

R
Real Estate Transfer -- delayed or materially amended Transfer Disclosure Statement -- three day (statement delivered personally) or five day (statement delivered by mail) cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1102.3(b)).

S
Seller Assisted Marketing Plans -- three business day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1812.209(b)).
Seminar Sales -- three business day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1689.20).
Service Contracts
  • For used cars, home appliances, and home electronic products -- 30 day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1794.41(a)(4)(A)).
  • For new motor vehicles -- 60 day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1794.41(a)(4)(A)).
  • For any type of goods, pro-rata refund less cancellation fee -- indefinite cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1794.41(a)(4)(B)).

T
Telephone Sales (when order has not been filled) -- 30 day cancellation period (B&P 17538(a), 16 CFR Part 435).

U
Unlawful Detainer Assistants -- 24 hour cancellation period (B&P 6410(e)).

W
Water Treatment Devices -- three business day cancellation period (B&P 17577.3).
Weight-loss Services -- three business day cancellation period (Civ. Code § 1694.6(a)).

in none of these codes is there anything about television services.

ps-im not saying one doesnt exist for sure, as i am not a lawyer, but i failed to find one in my research. if someone can find it, please enlighten us.

(Civ. Code § 1794.41(a)(4)(B)) is the law that most people thinks protects them from the cancellation fees for services such as a cell phone or pay tv. however, this law states that it does not cover cancellation fees. it only covers refund of equipement purchased. for instance, you purchase that new iphone with your att contract, you will get the money back for your iphone purchase, but still have to pay cancellation fee. if you happen to lease the equipement given to you with your service contract, there is no refund to be given as there was never a purchase made.

Well Dish lost a good, 5 year contract today. I called and canceled because of the League Pass lack. The rep didn't try hard to retain me, but I didn't really make it an option. I told her, "No NBA = No Dice". She said they're still negotiating and she can put me on a list where they'll notify me if/when they get it, but I politely declined.

She was nice enough to inform me that between now and when I ship the leased DVR back, I can call back and get my service reactivated for a $30 fee. I LOL'd when I heard that.

Apparently if I change my mind in the next three days they will charge me to continue my service, LOL. Oh well DTV turns out to be more for less and I get LP. I'm going to miss the 622 DVR though :(

Consumer Transactions with Statutory Contract Cancellation Rights in California....

in none of these codes is there anything about television services.

Maybe "telephone sales", depending on point of view. But I doubt it. I thought they did offer the 30-days but could have been thinking of something else. It doesnt help in this situation but in CA the legislature is trying to get a law passed that would make long term contracts such as this (and cell phones for example) illegal in the state.

Telephone Sales (when order has not been filled) -- 30 day cancellation period (B&P 17538(a), 16 CFR Part 435).

specifally says when order has not been filled. so if you cancel prior to install, your ok then. once installed, that law has no protection to provide.

as for california passing legislature to ban long term contracts, all that will do is hurt consumers who are not concerned with contracts. think a cell phone company is going to give you a discounted price or no charge on your phone if they cant get a gaurentee of return on service? for isntance, "samsung instinct" phone only cost the customer 129.00 to purchase with a 2 year agreement. if they cant require a two year agreement, sprint will probably make you pay the full 449.00 retail cost for the phone. that law if passed would probably take options away from consumers. personally, i like having a choice of taking lower upfront costs with a commit or not.

Dish seems to go down to the wire on these things. Two seasons ago it was MLB Extra Innings and they ended up not carrying it. Last season it was NHL Center Ice and they signed the contract right before the beginning of the season. No drama with Directv.

Less than two weeks ago i chatted with a dish csr,who guaranteed me that leauge pass would be available before 11/5. I wonder if dish records these chat sessions ?

They still have a couple of hours left.

All I know is that I am giving them until tomorrow evening, and if they still don't have a contract I am switching to Directv.

No reason whatsoever this crap should be happening

This really is ridiculous. What I don't want to have happen is I sign up for the league pass broadband for $90 or whatever it is, and then a few weeks later Dish agrees with the NBA. I don't like watching games on the computer.

They still have a couple of hours left.

All I know is that I am giving them until tomorrow evening, and if they still don't have a contract I am switching to Directv.

No reason whatsoever this crap should be happening

I was already on the fence with the lack of HD programming for Alaska, but this pretty much seals the deal for me. I just found out I can get Direct TV and I'm set for an install. Nine year customer and I will miss the DVRs 622 & 722, but not the drama.

Less than two weeks ago i chatted with a dish csr,who guaranteed me that leauge pass would be available before 11/5. I wonder if dish records these chat sessions ?

Less than two weeks ago I had a CSR guarantee me that they gave me the numbers to the lottery... oh wait, that was Bob Villa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)