dish live 4k?

For those of us new to Dish, what kind of capacity (or lack thereof) does Dish have to even add 4k in the future? Would it require a new bird?

Reactions: bluegras
Reactions: Scola77
They have enough bandwidth to add 4K channels without the need for new satellites.
Can you expand on how they'll do that? With DIRECTV we know they plan on using their RDBS transponders on satellites that are already up on station. Since Dish only recently was able to add the RSN's in HD almost 24 hours a day do they really have the bandwidth to add multiple 4K live channels on EA and WA?

Reactions: Troch77
Dish recently replaced all the old Sat boxes that used the old compression, now everything is on the new compression. They were supporting two systems, this took a lot of bandwidth.
Dish also has an East and West fleet of sats, Direct just has a Central Fleet, having Two fleets of sats helps a lot as the Locals take up a lot on the spot beams.

Now Dish has one system the same on BOTH fleets and more free space for RSN and some 4K for the day there are 4K full time channels.
I bet 4K will roll out just like HD first rolled out, we had a Discovery channel and one HBO or something, then both Directv and Dish added one or two channels every other month. I bet someday the SD channels will all go away and we will have just 4K and HD channels, that will free up even more.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
yea i just in the directv forum that they will be broadcasting mlb games in 4k i wonder what dish will go or do next?

only 25 games iirc, thats a small percentage when there are over 2400 games in a season

Knowing Dish and Charlie they are working on a big deal and a super low price. You know all these 4K channels are going to someday be in a 4K extra pack at some high price for Dish and Directv, its how they roll. Hopefully they negotiate a good deal and just dont jump into 4K like Directv is doing.

How does Dish download 4k to get the 4 channel MultiView? Can they use that download to show one of the MultiView channels in 4k? That way they could show a special sports event or program in 4K.

How does Dish download 4k to get the 4 channel MultiView? Can they use that download to show one of the MultiView channels in 4k? That way they could show a special sports event or program in 4K.
It's not it's taking 4 1080i channels and stitching them together inside the Hopper 3 to make one 4K channel.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
i would like to see dish add the rest of the hd channels that actually have hd feeds to our lineup and i hope they will find some room for 4k channels also. no i do not want to give anyone a heartattack what i am saying,,

Reactions: Rixos
Dish is behind Direct on 4K. I've rented one 4K movie because the selection is limited, but want a live 4K channel. I can't use my ppv certificates on 4K either it's a dollar too high.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Dish is behind Direct on 4K. I've rented one 4K movie because the selection is limited, but want a live 4K channel. I can't use my ppv certificates on 4K either it's a dollar too high.
i agree with you on that dish is lagging behind on 4k look how much 4k ondemand that dish offers i counted about 10 to 15 movies with so many movies companies now releasing so many movies now in 4k you would think that dish would add those tities from 20th century fox and the other movie companies.i would give it some time maybe dish hasnt signed aggreements with the other movie companies to carry their 4k ondemand content.and yes i have a feeling what directv is doing i think it is time for dish to add at least one or two 4k channels.i have a friend of mine on twitter has a page called ultra 4k news https://twitter.com/UHD4k
which you learn all the news on ultra 4k i send him alot of news at 5:30am in the morning alot of the news that i get from the websites that i seatch are up at that time of the morning.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)