DISH Locals Launching in June

I have a neighboring DMA that is maybe 10 or less miles from me yet it states that it is not a signifigantly viewed station on the FCC list.

Is it possible that Dish or even Direct are now playing with the same rules as the cable companies have been for as long as I can remember?

Directv can to a point

If a market doesnt have the full set of nets Directv can pipe in locals from a neighboring DMA/ There are some markets that have a SV station. Good example is Mankato, MN

They are a 1 (well 2 with Fox subchannel) DMA...3 counties. on D* you get CBS Mankato and the other big 3 from Minneapolis. In Nicollet County which is across the river from Mankato is the Minneapolis DMA. In parts of that county you get Minneapolis as your locals (per the FCC) and KEYC CBS Mankato as a SV station....heck the studio is in North Mankato which is in Nicollet county.

Cable in Mankato has a little more for locals. They have
KEYC (local station)
KEYC Fox (local station)
Big 4 from Minneapolis
PBS from Minneapolis
My from Mpls
ABC from Austin, MN

they do not carry Mpls CW or the Independent station. Mankato has the CW100+ cable only.

yes there will be

Presque Isle is what 3 locals (last I checked)?
WAGM
WAGM Fox
PBS

just checked thelist and they already have a spot on 110 TP23 & 25 "warming" for Presque Isle
SatelliteGuys.US - Dish Network ALL

so they can get Bangor on 119.

Actually Dish can get 4 HD and 6 SD channels in MPEG4. They do in Minneapolis on Eastern Arc

Good news, I think. This is very confusing to me.
Hey Ice, a couple of months ago I requested and received the additional 9 HD channels but it required a third dish and a switch.
If my locals are provided, will my current setup receive them?
I currently purchase ABC and NBC through All America Direct and get CBS and FOX with an ota. My zip is 04730, 45 miles south of Presque Isle.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Good news, I think. This is very confusing to me.
Hey Ice, a couple of months ago I requested and received the additional 9 HD channels but it required a third dish and a switch.
If my locals are provided, will my current setup receive them?
I currently purchase ABC and NBC through All America Direct and get CBS and FOX with an ota. My zip is 04730, 45 miles south of Presque Isle.
Thanks in advance.

What do you currently have now for a setup?
Assuming your location and that EA doesnt really work there do you have a 110/119/61.5/72 setup?

ASSUMING Dish does with the "short" markets like cable does, you would get the 3 Presque Isle stations in SD off 110 (WAGM, WAGM-FOX, PBS) that are uplinked and ABC & NBC from Bangor as fill in.

If Bangor and Presque Isle ever get HD on Dish they would probably do the same thing (ABC/NBC from Bangor, rest from PI). But unless WAGM Fox is in HD (Is it?) you would be short Fox in HD

On Directv for my market (Mankato, MN) we're in the same boat as you but there is no PBS there. 1 station market with CBS/Fox subchannel (CBS HD, Fox 480i Widescreen). D* locals give us CBS Mankato (KEYC) and the other 3 from Minneapolis. All 4 are in HD too. Its weird as Fox Mankato was launched after D* put Mankato locals up so we still get Fox from Minneapolis.

how can you tell what stations dish will have in a market? Our market , wheeling, only has nbc and cbs. Our local cbs has abc and fox as digital sub channels. There is a cable only cw and no my network tv.
Would dish put the abc and fox sub channels up or use the cw, my network, abc and fox from pittsburgh,pa?

Just curious.

What do you currently have now for a setup?
Assuming your location and that EA doesnt really work there do you have a 110/119/61.5/72 setup?

ASSUMING Dish does with the "short" markets like cable does, you would get the 3 Presque Isle stations in SD off 110 (WAGM, WAGM-FOX, PBS) that are uplinked and ABC & NBC from Bangor as fill in.

If Bangor and Presque Isle ever get HD on Dish they would probably do the same thing (ABC/NBC from Bangor, rest from PI). But unless WAGM Fox is in HD (Is it?) you would be short Fox in HD

On Directv for my market (Mankato, MN) we're in the same boat as you but there is no PBS there. 1 station market with CBS/Fox subchannel (CBS HD, Fox 480i Widescreen). D* locals give us CBS Mankato (KEYC) and the other 3 from Minneapolis. All 4 are in HD too. Its weird as Fox Mankato was launched after D* put Mankato locals up so we still get Fox from Minneapolis.

Sorry I didn't tell you my setup, I just looked at the dish pointer and It looks like I have 119/110/72.
Fox from my ota is a 720P signal (I've heard many disputes whether 720P is HD or not).
What you are saying sounds about right according to a local E dealer, that we would lose HD but gain ABC/NBC from Bangor.
At least I would save $10/month and not have to buy the networks from All American Direct.
So will I still need three dishes hanging off my house or will I be able to remove one if the locals come to fruition?
Thanks for help.

how can you tell what stations dish will have in a market? Our market , wheeling, only has nbc and cbs. Our local cbs has abc and fox as digital sub channels. There is a cable only cw and no my network tv.
Would dish put the abc and fox sub channels up or use the cw, my network, abc and fox from pittsburgh,pa?

Just curious.

Hate to say this but you better hope they put up all of them from Wheeling. Since the Big 4 are carried in your market if Dish doesnt carry say FOX they cant pump in a neighboring local. Only if there is NO affiliate for the market

Since ABC & Fox are piggybacked off CBS Dish would make a deal to carry all 3.

Sorry I didn't tell you my setup, I just looked at the dish pointer and It looks like I have 119/110/72.
Fox from my ota is a 720P signal (I've heard many disputes whether 720P is HD or not).
I noticed WAGM is kinda weird as Fox is on the -1 and CBS is on -2 even though its a CBS affiliate. Is CBS in HD too?
720p is HD...thats what Fox uses. My Fox here in Minneapolis is Owned by Fox and its only 720p

What you are saying sounds about right according to a local E dealer, that we would lose HD but gain ABC/NBC from Bangor.
At least I would save $10/month and not have to buy the networks from All American Direct.
and they're "semi" local (in the case of Bangor)
So will I still need three dishes hanging off my house or will I be able to remove one if the locals come to fruition?
Thanks for help.
Since Eastern Arc wont work in your area (and your locals are going to be on 110) you do need 2 dishes. Since 129 is very low elevation in Maine that wouldnt work either (HD is on 129)

Are you sure you're not seeing 61.5 too? Do you have 3 separate dishes?

Hate to say this but you better hope they put up all of them from Wheeling. Since the Big 4 are carried in your market if Dish doesnt carry say FOX they cant pump in a neighboring local. Only if there is NO affiliate for the market

Since ABC & Fox are piggybacked off CBS Dish would make a deal to carry all 3.

what about my network tv and cw?

cw is CABLE ONLY and we don't have a my network station. We do have an adjacent pittsburgh cw channel. Would dish be permitted to offer us that channel or would it have to be new york?

I noticed WAGM is kinda weird as Fox is on the -1 and CBS is on -2 even though its a CBS affiliate. Is CBS in HD too?
720p is HD...thats what Fox uses. My Fox here in Minneapolis is Owned by Fox and its only 720p

and they're "semi" local (in the case of Bangor)

Since Eastern Arc wont work in your area (and your locals are going to be on 110) you do need 2 dishes. Since 129 is very low elevation in Maine that wouldnt work either (HD is on 129)

Are you sure you're not seeing 61.5 too? Do you have 3 separate dishes?

Yes you are right, I'm getting a locked, 50% signal strength on 61.5 and yes I have three separate dishes.

I actually read the text of the bill, and it looks like Dish will be able to sell distants.

That actually won't be very many people, since Dish cannot sell distants to anyone whose locals are carried, and Dish will be required to sell all DMAs' locals. Are there people with no DMA ? I don't think so.

But Dish will be able to sell distants to RV people.

By a date in 2013, Dish will be required to carry all SD locals and all HD locals in the USA.

Is that true? I know with Directv you cannot get distants (even with a waiver) if your locals are available on satellite. But will that be the same for Dish, or will those who want distants be able to get them as long as they have a waiver from the local stations?

cw is CABLE ONLY and we don't have a my network station. We do have an adjacent pittsburgh cw channel. Would dish be permitted to offer us that channel or would it have to be new york?

In past Dish offers CW from NY or San Diego depending on time zone if your CW is cable only/subchanel. I know when I lived in Duluth, MN CW was cable conly and a subchannel off CBS. Dish still gives you WPIX

Directv is CW Washington DC

yep you're all set then. June 3rd they will turn on the locals for your market. You would still need 3 dishes (sadly)

Hope it happens.
I was going to suggest to Sat Guys to hold a contest for "who has the most satellite dishes attached to their house" contest, but after looking at your equipment it would be no contest:)

You **could** get by with only 2 dishes but Presque Isle locals are on 110..hence 3 dishes

For eastern Arc right now (61.5/72/77) 77W is just spanish stations and some markets HD locals. Everything you need is on 61.5/72

But if you had any receivers other than a VIP receiver, you need the 110/119 spot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts