DISH loses 4 more HD channels - 3 Return

$17 for a duo DVR and another 20 for a two 612s and another $5 because they 622 can't seem to keep an IP. So just the three receivers costs me $42 which is more than my programming.

I'm pretty sure the $5 no phone line fee is gone.

Also, if you have only 3 recievers, one should be without fee.

Personally I think dish, directv, and cable operators don't get it. Their business model has been successful for years but the times are changing. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon VOD, torrents, and other illegal sites are going to impact them if they keep over charging for hardware.

Do you think that equipment they lease you is free? Those boxes cost a lot of money, and many with the expensive ones are the first to want upgrades. You may find it excessive, but this guy with just one reciever is glad Charlie is not building the lease for 2, 3, or 4 HD DVRs into his base pricing.

If you want to cancel and go to Netfix et.al., no one is stopping you.

title of thread

Says lost 4 more HD channels, is it 4 or more, what are the others? The channel stuff goes in cycles as deals are made for programming. A lot of cable company's can't seem to get NFL network. It's all about the deal. For me the channels lost are not deal breakers. But would be nice to keep the sports . More HD, more better:rolleyes:

Says lost 4 more HD channels, is it 4 or more, what are the others? The channel stuff goes in cycles as deals are made for programming. A lot of cable company's can't seem to get NFL network. It's all about the deal. For me the channels lost are not deal breakers. But would be nice to keep the sports . More HD, more better:rolleyes:

This thread was merged with another that originally stated "PR lost 4 more HD Channels". We lost Green and CI, and the Movie Channel in HD has the "This Channel is blacked out from your are" message. All channels were received for a long time. In my case I lost the Movie Channel HD, even though i have the Continental US HD Package including the Platinum.

OK, so did Dish drop the HD channels or did Disney pull them. From what I read Disney pulled the channels. If that is the case why are people pissing about how Dish is getting rid of channels. Sounds like Disney pulled the channels because they want more money. Maybe we should just see how this plays out before everyone starts bashing everything.

OK, so did Dish drop the HD channels or did Disney pull them. From what I read Disney pulled the channels. If that is the case why are people pissing about how Dish is getting rid of channels. Sounds like Disney pulled the channels because they want more money. Maybe we should just see how this plays out before everyone starts bashing everything.

Doesn't make any difference if Disney pulled or Dish "pushed". They're both at fault.

And this garbage about keeping our rates down is just that...garbage. There is no evidence of a connection between provider fee and Dish rate changes. Dish just sees this as easy cover to maintain their current level of profits.

The above said, things are always magnified in importance at the time they happen. This smacks of the same fight Disney had with CV, which ended after about a week or so with the restoration of the channels as well as the addiiton of ESNPU-HD.

While I wouldn't put it past Dish to pull the channels permanently let's wait a bit before assuming this will be the case. This is clearly posturing by both sides and the situation could easily be resolved in a week or two.

If we follow the money, we need to blame the professional athletes for demanding so much money for what they do. That forces the team owners to charge more for television rights, which ESPN has to pay in order to provide those games to a demanding audience. ESPN then raises their rates which DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, Time Warner, etc. passed on to us, the TV consumer. Out of those major pay TV providers, which one stands up and tries to keep a rein on price increases?

I was going to make the point that all of the providers, Dish is the only one that doesn't own channels (Comcast has numerous Comcast Sports Net feeds, for example) but then Fox unloaded DirecTV, so there went that argument.

But, ultimately, it is up to us as consumers to refuse to pad the wallets of the athletes. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

I was looking at the business site. Im curious if you do not mind. It says "cheapest plan is $40 for business essentials. This is what they charge, or is it based on per X 50 of your FOC?

The news only package seems to be gone now. The non sports packages do not have a per occupant charge. The news package was $30/month. I guess we are grandfathered in.

There is a package called business essentials and it is $39.99 including the HD feeds and locals. There is also a Kids & Education package for the same price.

Yeap. $16 per month increase. That's why today is my last day. What a last day. Bill for premiere, 2 hddvr's, and 1 HD receivers over the next two years never reaches what I am paying now.

S~

So, you and Bob are both leaving. We will see which of you is all talk.

No one bite my head off for saything this but shouldn't this bring up the age old question of À la carte channels? What I've been gathering from this post is people want these channels. Dish Customers pay for RSN and superstation packages, as well as adding hbo, showtime, starz, ect... to any package. It seems like having packages like ESPN/ or Disney would be what's in order. Drop the price of core packages and just add what you want!

No one bite my head off for saything this but shouldn't this bring up the age old question of À la carte channels? What I've been gathering from this post is people want these channels. Dish Customers pay for RSN and superstation packages, as well as adding hbo, showtime, starz, ect... to any package. It seems like having packages like ESPN/ or Disney would be what's in order. Drop the price of core packages and just add what you want!

Yes many of us would like a more ala carte approach. The rub is the content providers. ESPN extorts cable and sat providers by forcing them to put ESPN on their basic tier so they can get paid for every sub. Don't like it. Tough. You don't get ESPN for your cable or sat broadcast. While many of us would be perfectly happy to not have to pay the large amount ESPN charges cable and sat, the people running the cable and sat businesses know they will have problems given the large number of people who have to have their sports. Then of course ESPN says in order to get ESPN you have to take all of the rest of the ESPNs and here's the price. It'd take an act of Congress to change this and that might not even do it. It's not just ESPN and Disney, Viacom does the same as do the other larger content providers. If you want out popular and high in demand programming like Nick, you have to take all these other fluffers as well.

Well, I'm disgusted that Turbo / Dish America customers once again got the shaft by Dish not even giving us Disney, ABC Family or ESPN News in standard def during this outage. I even spoke with executive resolutions about giving Dish America customers access and was told that "at your package level's price we aren't adding Disney in SD".

So I "spoke with my money" and canceled Dish Network last night. Funny thing is, they didn't even try to keep me as a customer. Executive relations simply said "That's fine, I can cancel you now or at the end of your billing cycle".

Empty box is in the mail to return my 722K receiver.

I have a cheap PC connected to the TV that's set up with Windows 7 Media Center, two TV tuners for OTA programming, Boxee, Hulu Desktop and iTunes. Set up my OTA recordings. Found most of the cable network shows I watch for free on Hulu / Boxee and even found one available as a free podcast from iTunes. Bought the season of another on iTunes.

So we will see how this goes. I'm just upset at being a pawn once again in a programming dispute.

Until female family members start complaining about the fuzzy picture on next week's Secret Life, I could care less.

They don't even notice if it's HD or stretched anyway.

So, you and Bob are both leaving. We will see which of you is all talk.

I am leaving. Not necessarily over this. Just so happened on my last day. Mostly it's all about the fees, fees, fees, and their unwillingness to correct a problem they did without needing to go through resolutions and then not returning calls. Still wasn't resolved.

S~

Last edited:
Here is DISH Networks official statement on the matter.

DISH Network offers all customers HD Free for Life, which is possible because we are committed to negotiating fair contracts that allow us to keep our prices low. That is why we could not agree to the significant fees requested by Disney and ESPN Networks for the HD feeds of Disney East, Disney XD, ESPNews and ABC Family. We continue to talk with Disney and ESPN Networks and hope to reach a fair resolution. In the meantime, DISH Network customers can enjoy the same programming on the standard definition versions of these channels.

I called Dish about this and their response to me was "you will need to upgrade your package to get those channels back".

It's too bad this company operates this way. They certainly are the worst when it comes to customer service.

BTW, I have one of the Turbo HD packages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts