DISH loses 4 more HD channels - 3 Return

If it wasn't for my 200+ movies I have stored on my EHD in HD I would have jumped ship to Direct.They really got me by the b@!!%!!!!!!

And if the US is out, they will drop, not go up. The same for Mexico.

Those high ratings are when you factor in US and Mexico games. Take them out and the ratings drop significantly. I would be willing to bet the fewer people will be watching the later rounds once US and Mexico are out.
take the Yankees out of the World Series and the ratings drop
Take the two biggest basketball markets(LA and Boston obviously)out of the NBA Finals and the ratings will drop. Check out the ratings when New Jersey plays San Antonio ;)

Extortion

Disney is pulling the same type of extortion that program distributors nation wide are trying. This is something that they have been doing to TV stations across the nation. They are trying to milk everyone w/ HD is worth more than SD. They are seeing an end in the future when there will be more HD than SD and they want to set a precedence to be able to get the rates higher. It always surprises me when D* just rolls over. Now someone earlier in the thread may have been right that D* just lets E* do the battles in negotiation & reaps the benefits from it. Disney is probably trying this as well for national TV stations as well. Since I'm not working for a commercial station now can say for sure, but would expect it. BTW working w/ their dist people is a royal pain in the neck.

whatchel1 said:
It always surprises me when D* just rolls over.
Evidence? DirecTV just went through a rather public battle regarding Versus (and DISH had that battle four years ago when it was OLN). Just because DirecTV doesn't cut-off channels as often as Dish Network does not translate that DirecTV "just rolls over".

Until female family members start complaining about the fuzzy picture on next week's Secret Life, I could care less.

They don't even notice if it's HD or stretched anyway.

Yep. It took a long time before my wife decided that she preferred HD and it was worth it.

Thank god SD TVs are few and far between today.

ESPNews isn't very interesting at the moment, but if it's not back by August I'd probably switch to someone else over the issue. The rest of the Disney channels - I don't think I've ever watched them.

Yep :) Now that the HR's don't suck, it might be time to sample D*!

I am hooked up as of today. After 12 years it was hard to switch. I just couldn't stand all of the fees and my credits run out next month anyways, especially since I owned all of my equipment. Over the next two years my bill never reaches what I am paying now (even with the credits). Plus they refused to address an install problem they did on 1/30. CEO offices didn't return calls. PQ is quite nice. Recording a few shows tonight to test out the MRV. If I don't like it, I can change out down the road. It's only TV.

S~

Only 3 governors are for it

this is another reason why the nbc and comcast merger shoudlnt go through:)

This came out today on SkyReport: The Free Press, Media Access Project, Consumers Union, the Consumer Federation of America, the National Consumers League, the Writers' Guild of America, West, Bloomberg, DIRECTV, DISH, the Communications Workers of America, and, oh yeah, Earthlink are all piling on that proposed Comcast/NBC-U merger.
Comcast says (in a blog from EVP David Cohen) that a number of important folks do back them (including the governors of CA, NY and PA) and that, "Some commenters, including certain competitors and programmers, appear to be attempting to use the transaction review process as an opportunity to seek advantages and concessions outside of marketplace negotiations."
Have a feeling that it will be hard for SEC to give it's approval w/ so many saying it's a bad idea.

I called Dish about this and their response to me was "you will need to upgrade your package to get those channels back".

It's too bad this company operates this way. They certainly are the worst when it comes to customer service.

BTW, I have one of the Turbo HD packages.
Now isn't it nice that Dish is offerering an HD customer the opportunity to upgrade to standard definition.

:D

It seems that yes D* prices may be higher, but by how much? One trip to McDonalds, a six pack, a large bag of chips. That may be a small price to pay to rid one's self of this never ending drama.

Here is what DIRECTV just sent out to its retailers...

MORE REASONS WHY OUR HD FOR LIFE IS BEST

DISH Network has stopped carrying 4 popular HD channels: Disney Channel HD,
Disney XD HD, ABC Family HD and ESPNews HD.

According to Multichannel News, DISH Network claimed the move was necessary to
keep customer prices down.

However, Disney responded by saying, "The recent New York State Court ruling
confirms our position that DISH Network is not entitled to carry ABC Family HD,
Disney Channel HD, Disney XD HD and ESPNews HD without paying compensation.”

The publication also noted that a New York court recently ruled that DISH
Network owes Disney approximately $65 million under the applicable affiliation
agreement.

HERE ARE THE OTHER REASONS WHY OUR HD OFFER IS THE BEST

* DIRECTV has the HD channels DISH Network had to drop

* Our customers DO NOT pre-pay for service, pay higher receiver fees and are NOT
subject to upfront fees if they want to receive their bill in the mail

With the most full-time HD, the most sports in HD and the most movies in 1080p
HD, no one can compete with DIRECTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)