Dish makes bid for clearwire

wallyhts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323482504578230124258195796.html?mod=djemalertTECH

Dish Makes Offer for Clearwire
Clearwire received an unsolicited bid from Dish Network to buy the wireless broadband operator company for $5.15 billion, besting Sprint Nextel’s buyout offer and setting up a potential takeover battle.

Dish’s offer values Clearwire at $3.30 a share, topping Sprint’s bid by around 11% and offering a 13% premium to Clearwire’s closing price Tuesday.

Blocked it how?

Well Sprint owns 50% of Clearwire and has said it will not vote its shares for the dish plan: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...=djemalertTECH

Dish's proposal, as conveyed by Clearwire, is multipronged and complicated. The satellite company first proposes to pay $2.2 billion for about a quarter of Clearwire's spectrum. It also says it will try to buy at least a quarter of the company's stock at $3.30 a share.

In addition, Dish is seeking changes to Clearwire's complicated governance structure, including the right to appoint some board members and to block changes of control of the company. It wants to provide financing to Clearwire that the company can use to buy back debt.

Mr. Ergen raised $1.5 billion last month to buy spectrum or do other deals, giving him firepower as he pursues Clearwire. But getting any part of his deal done will require getting past some hurdles that could prove insurmountable.

Sprint argues that its merger agreement prevents Clearwire from selling spectrum without its consent. It also argues that a sale of Clearwire would have to be approved by 75% of the company's shareholder vote. Sprint, which holds about 50% of the company, has told Clearwire it won't approve a deal.

It makes me wonder if Charlie and Clearwire had a deal about worked out and Sprint jumped in the middle of it and wanted a lot more $$ for the same deal.

Ohhhh... I smell a fresh lawsuit for the new year!

It makes me wonder if Charlie and Clearwire had a deal about worked out and Sprint jumped in the middle of it and wanted a lot more $$ for the same deal.

Yes wouldn't surprise me if Dish would have a nother lawsuit coming since they are known for lawsuits :D :) mike123abc that may have what happened and you may be on to something :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts