Dish just lost a customer

Wade-0

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
I just bought a new house and was pretty excited about getting a new Dish setup there, with a Hopper and a couple Joeys. I'm pretty fed up with my current hardware setup of a 612 and 622. They both have been returned multiple times due to drives/fans dying, which is huge hassle, and my 622 just started acting up again a couple days ago. Dish didn't want to give me any of the promos that they offer new customers though, and acted like they were doing me a favor "only" charging me $50 for the Hopper instead of $100. In fact, they didn't even hesitate to disconnect my service when I threatened to cancel and switch to DirecTV. So I guess I'm committed to switching now, after 7+ years on Dish. WTF happened to customer retention?

you threw a hissy fit and Dish called your bluff.

Without knowing more info like payment history/last time you upgraded/programming package/contract we can't make a judgement on what Dish gave you. But $50 sounded fair considering you are a current sub. The $50 is probably an install fee

Yeah man you should have took that...Like Tony said though several variables that we don't know.

Sounds like a very fair offer. Just like Iceberg said, probably the install fee.

Op clearly mentioned he wanted new customer deals which means free hopper & Joey & maybe $15-20 off for some months & 3 months free premiums.

What dish offered ie 50 is what all existing customers are paying. Heck if you could have asked politely...dish could have given the 3 month free premiums also.

Directv ain't so bad, you may be glad it worked out the way it did.

Yeah, it all depends on the CSR you get, and how you treat them. Then tell them "my way, or the highway" and expect they might call your bluff.

Suggestion: IF you still want to keep Dish, ASK a DIRT member here if they can re-instate you, and then pay the $50. In the scheme of life, that's not a lot of money if you feel it'll give you a better piece of equipment with less hassles. Isn't that worth $50 to you?

The way you over play your hand is by requesting service be disconnected in a few days (Not immediatly), and when given the reason say that Directv is coming to install a new system.

This way you can disconnect your service without really disconnecting your service and it gives then an oppertunity to call you back with better offers to stay.

There is a cetain way you need to play the game, most of the CSR's are trained to know when you are threatening to cancel and really don't mean it. That is probably why they didn't give you any offers to stay.

BTW, $50 on a hopper upgrade is a very good deal.

That probably would have worked. However thats committing fraud on DISH Network by getting a new customer promotion for an existing customer. I wouldn't advise doing something like that.
Different address+different name+different credit card=different customer. If they're asses about it, just have your wife say you're divorced. ;)

They have caught on to that kind of stuff, not saying it's impossible, but much harder than it used to be. Also finding a retailer to take the risk knowingly is going to be pretty tuff. Besides there is a high likelihood dish's system would catch it before it ever produced an account #.

To address an earlier comment the hr24 & h25 receivers have not been discontinued. With a little research it's easy to decide which system is right for you.

Since it is a new address, couldn't the OP have simply ordered new service in his wife's name?

This was kind of my plan, but it might not work. My wife's name and number were listed on the old account as secondaries. I could understand the "Hey take the $50 deal, it's the best offer you'll get" comments if I was just trying to upgrade my equipment at my current residence. But this is a new house, and as far as I'm concerned should have been treated like a new account. I'm keeping the current place as a rental, and told them I want to leave the dish on the roof in case the future renters want to subscribe. I've been with Dish since the "TurboHD" days, and the only perks I've ever been offered are the stupid DishMover program, which I just don't understand what the point is. And that's what I told them. If there's no bonus/perk for me keeping my account, and using the "DishMover" program, compared to just cancelling and starting up as a new customer, why would I want to do that?

I did get an email from them with a number to call if I "change my mind" so it's probably not too late to salvage, just don't know if I want to.

Different address+different name+different credit card=different customer. If they're asses about it, just have your wife say you're divorced. ;)

Technically a wife is considered the same customer. Other than that, if they match anything to a previous account such an email address they will flag it as existing.

They will even take the address listed on your credit report and match it against their database to determine if your a previous customer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts