Dish just lost a customer

Also, I hope you or your wife didn't respond to the phone survey with a "0" (which actually means "10" in Dish logic). I feel bad for the installer from an income perspective. But, she needs to learn the proper way to do things at this stage in her tech career.

Hmmm... I answered with the "No time to take the survey" option, which was probably 0. I don't remember now. The stupid robo-dialer kept calling us and I just wanted it to stop, and it was before I'd noticed the panel outside.

Now I'm thinking I need to go inspect the rest of her work.

A lot of people have been "cutting the cord", and moving to OTA plus Netflix, Hulu, and/or Amazon Prime. A comparable Dish variation would be Welcome/Smart pack plus Netflix/Hulu/Amzn, which would provide some additional channels.

If HBO and SHO were smart, they'd start selling subscriptions to their streaming services, directly to customers, cutting out the carrier/middlemen.

I bet their contracts with the major carriers keep this from happining as a tradoff for something they wanted.

I'd call the installer company back and ask to have it fixed at their expense.

So I just got off the phone with the installation company, they're sending a "more experienced" installer out on Friday to see what can be done. He said the original installer had called him about the awkward ceiling drop because the wall was a "fire break" and she couldn't run the cabling the way she wanted to due to internal bracing, and he had advised her as best he could without being onsite to assess the situation. I told him I didn't think it was up to code to have a penetration through that wall into the garage (due to vehicle exhaust and 2 gas appliances) and he said they don't normally worry about code violations, which seemed pretty strange to me. Also, if the wall is a fire break, wouldn't that be another reason not penetrate it?

At any rate, hopefully they'll make it right.

Glad I don't use 'em, other than to transfer recordings.

I admire your self control. But in my case, if I have to drop to the Welcome Pack in a month or two, I will have months worth of programming to watch. In fact, I think I'll get another EHD or two, to pack 'em full, just in case.

So now for the latest update. I wasn't home for the install, so my wife was in charge. A couple things I noticed with the install that I'm not too pleased about. First, the way she (the installer was a girl) ran the line into my "man cave" is a bit strange, and also possibly a code violation. She dropped from the attic into the garage, then went through the wall from the garage into the house. Not sure why she didn't just run the cable down the inside of the wall and then into the room. Anyone? I'm pretty sure punching an opening between the garage and inside of the house is not allowed. We have a gas water heater and furnace out there too.

View attachment 84063

The other issue is the utility box, which I noticed yesterday when grabbing the garbage cans from the side of the house, is wide open and the wiring is a total mess. This is unacceptable. I'm assuming the box popped open on its own because she stuff everything in there without properly routing/mounting everything inside. I can't even close it, it's a complete mess.

View attachment 84064

Does Dish still contract the installations out to 3rd party installers, or is it all in-house now? I'm going to call them this afternoon and see if they will send out a more experienced installer to fix this mess.

I certainly hope she wasn't tipped. Not time to dump on the lady, but certainly a "training opportunity" or "teachable moment."

She dropped from the attic into the garage, then went through the wall from the garage into the house. Not sure why she didn't just run the cable down the inside of the wall and then into the room. Anyone? I'm pretty sure punching an opening between the garage and inside of the house is not allowed.
That depends largely on whether the jurisdiction considers that wall a fire wall. Not all jurisdictions require firewalls.

There are at least three classes:

1. Storefront contracting with DISH
2. Subcontractor contracting with DISH.
3. In-house.

It seems this entire thread is essentially based on someone being difficult w/ a CSR. When I have to deal w/ any type of customer service am always calm, polite and respectful since it is another person on the other end of the line.... besides you catch more flies w/ honey then you do w/ vinegar.

Cheers, K

It seems this entire thread is essentially based on someone being difficult w/ a CSR. When I have to deal w/ any type of customer service am always calm, polite and respectful since it is another person on the other end of the line.... besides you catch more flies w/ honey then you do w/ vinegar.

Did you actually read the entire thread? Because everyone said what I was offered was the best deal I could get, and I should have just taken it. So why exactly would you say I was being difficult? I've worked in multiple call centers as both a CSR and Tech Support, so I understand the difficulties of the job. And FYI, none of my interactions with Dish were conducted over the phone, they were all via chat through the website.

Just got upgraded to a Hopper and 2 Joeys's on Tuesday after having (2) 622's and a 211 for almost 7 years. When I called to upgrade/schedule I and was told it would cost me $95 for the Hopper and $65 for the install. Asked to be transferred to the "cancellation dept" and spoke to a very nice rep in the retention dept. Told him very politely that after 7 years I didn't believe I should have to pay any hardware fees and he promptly agreed to waive the $95. Then said the only way he could waive the install fees was for me to signup for the protection plan at $7 a month and had to keep it 4 months. Once again I politely said no thanks and once again he agreed to waive the fees.

Well to sweeten the story, I called today and asked why I wasn't made aware of the new Hopper with Sling and that I was a bit miffed, was placed on hold, and 3 minutes later the rep came back on the phone and said that they were sending me out a Sling - 2nd day air - at no charge for my "troubles :)

Motto of the story - kill em with kindness and you too shall be rewarded

Latest update - The more experienced installer came out yesterday and fixed all the issues we had with the crowded utility box that wouldn't close, and the cable she dropped from the ceiling in the garage. He said it was actually a very easy fix, and just chalked it up to the first installer being a noobie. He asked how everything was working so far and said to call them if we had any other issues or questions down the road.

So far the hopper has been a few ups and a few downs. I like a lot of the new features (Pandora, NAS access, AutoHop), and having the extra large DVR accessible from all rooms is nice. The size of the Joeys is very nice, and not having the noise of a DVR (or space requirements) in the bedroom is priceless. BUT, I miss some of the features from my ViP like DishPass and being able to set up timers for shows that aren't currently in the schedule. Also, the system has completely locked up a couple times already, and it's only been a week. The DVR functions are extremely sluggish when the Primetime Anytime is recording too. I have a feeling all the problems are related to Primetime Anytime, and will probably be disabling it soon.

Conclusion: I wouldn't trade it back for my old ViP DVRs even if they paid me. I'm going to call them about the deal they offered in the letter (basically 3 months free of all the premiums, $15 off the monthly service fee, free HD for life, and some other stuff) but I'm not sure how they'll feel about combining those promos with the Hopper upgrade that I already got. I figured it can't hurt to ask though. I'll post another update afterwards.

I'm going to call them about the deal they offered in the letter (basically 3 months free of all the premiums, $15 off the monthly service fee, free HD for life, and some other stuff) but I'm not sure how they'll feel about combining those promos with the Hopper upgrade that I already got. I figured it can't hurt to ask though. I'll post another update afterwards.
Why not? They did offer that stuff to you. No harm in trying.

If they balk, you can still probably get half-price HBO, SHO, Max, and/or Starz by starting the online cancellation process in MyDish. I window should pop up asking if you'd like to keep them at a special promo of half-off for six months. The same applies to BB@H, but it's a $5 off promo. Of course, you have to already have these packages in order to cancel them.

Well I just tried to redeem the promo code online with the chat representative (who I discovered was located in the Phillipines) and they said the promo code from the letter I received was not availalble in their system. Looks like I'm probably going to have to pick up the phone.

Mmm, so I am in the middle of figuring out if now is a good time to switch to DirectTV. They offer fox soccer in one of their lower priced packages and I can get the genie etc plus a $200 gift card. I was originally going to upgrade from dish america to 120Plus to get fox soccer, then add a second receiver; but with the enormous price raise for the 120+ package and having to pay to upgrade to a hopper it is just financially not attractive to stay with Dish. If you are considered a new customer after 90 days, the apparently (financial) best cause of action is to switch every year or two. Am I missing something in this thinking? (been a loyal customer of Dish for 10 years or so).

Mmm, so I am in the middle of figuring out if now is a good time to switch to DirectTV. They offer fox soccer in one of their lower priced packages and I can get the genie etc plus a $200 gift card. I was originally going to upgrade from dish america to 120Plus to get fox soccer, then add a second receiver; but with the enormous price raise for the 120+ package and having to pay to upgrade to a hopper it is just financially not attractive to stay with Dish. If you are considered a new customer after 90 days, the apparently (financial) best cause of action is to switch every year or two. Am I missing something in this thinking? (been a loyal customer of Dish for 10 years or so).

I think you'll always get the best deals switching every two years due to the promos. Lots of people do it. Some Dishers get locked in due to having content stored on external drives they will lose by switching. In the past, Direct's slower receivers kept some from switching. With their new Genie a lot of Dish's hardware advantage has disappeared.

One thing that kept me from DTV was my conus locals. That will soon disappear, so the sky's the limit. heh.

I think you'll always get the best deals switching every two years due to the promos. Lots of people do it. Some Dishers get locked in due to having content stored on external drives they will lose by switching. In the past, Direct's slower receivers kept some from switching. With their new Genie a lot of Dish's hardware advantage has disappeared.
I finally bit that bullet and switched. Probably be back again in two years lol.

I finally bit that bullet and switched. Probably be back again in two years lol.

Yep, I've been with Dish since 1998. I've had Direct on another account at times for the winter/vacation homes, but never for my primary residence. Dish has lost all the price advantage they once held. They don't care to compete on price any longer so I'm looking to switch as well. I have a snowbird account with Dish so I drag my receivers back and forth to Florida. I need to find out if Direct allows this or whether I have to have a separate account. If it's the latter, I might not want to switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)