Dish just lost a customer

Different address+different name+different credit card=different customer. If they're asses about it, just have your wife say you're divorced. ;)

Then ERT would be the only people to clear it for an order to be built & they do require documentation like utility bills & such.

If they're asses about it, just have your wife say you're divorced. ;)

Haha, I actually thought about that option too! I wonder how long your account has to be inactive before they consider you a new customer again. Anyone know?

Not positive but for some reason I think 90 days to be a new customer again?

As others have mentioned....the 50.00 fee is not that bad, though I know we all want to try to get the best deal possible but the 50.00 is a good one

Be glad your upgrading now. When I first inquired about upgrading to a 2/3 system last spring, I was told that it would be $700. I've been a Dish customer for over 15 years. I just upgraded this month at a much better cost.

Be glad your upgrading now. When I first inquired about upgrading to a 2/3 system last spring, I was told that it would be $700. I've been a Dish customer for over 15 years. I just upgraded this month at a much better cost.

Yeah, it's not really even about the money, it's just the principle. I don't understand companies that treat new customers better than the ones that have been loyal for years. When I worked customer service (cellular) way back in the day, they always told us that it costs 5x as much to get a new customer as it does to keep an existing one. Maybe that doesn't apply any more.

The way things seem to be going with the Genie + C31 system, I'm not sure this isn't an "out of the frying pan and into the fire" situation with an even higher ETF.

Do you have any experience using an HR34 and C31 or are you basing your opinion on what you have read or heard?

stardust3 said:
That's what I meant.

Ever been charged back for signing up a customer like this unknowingly?

Many times

Atleast Directv catches the fraud before the install so you just loose the sale. Dish comes back several months later after you already paid your sales people for the sale and paid for the installation.

Moving (not "moving") isn't grounds for new customer perks. If that was the case every "mover" would be treated to new deals every time they wanted to switch their locals. I got my H/J system for $50 and felt it was a decent offer. As for freebies, if you worked with them, you could have gotten Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, and the Sports Pack half off each for 6 months (basically 3 months free).

I just bought a new house and was pretty excited about getting a new Dish setup there, with a Hopper and a couple Joeys. I'm pretty fed up with my current hardware setup of a 612 and 622. They both have been returned multiple times due to drives/fans dying, which is huge hassle, and my 622 just started acting up again a couple days ago. Dish didn't want to give me any of the promos that they offer new customers though, and acted like they were doing me a favor "only" charging me $50 for the Hopper instead of $100. In fact, they didn't even hesitate to disconnect my service when I threatened to cancel and switch to DirecTV. So I guess I'm committed to switching now, after 7+ years on Dish. WTF happened to customer retention?

all providers are the same. They will give away their grandchildren to bring in a new customer. Existing customers? You will give them YOUR grandchildren.
Hey, the Directv Genie blows the "Hoppa" outta da wauta.

This was kind of my plan, but it might not work. My wife's name and number were listed on the old account as secondaries. I could understand the "Hey take the $50 deal, it's the best offer you'll get" comments if I was just trying to upgrade my equipment at my current residence. But this is a new house, and as far as I'm concerned should have been treated like a new account. I'm keeping the current place as a rental, and told them I want to leave the dish on the roof in case the future renters want to subscribe. I've been with Dish since the "TurboHD" days, and the only perks I've ever been offered are the stupid DishMover program, which I just don't understand what the point is. And that's what I told them. If there's no bonus/perk for me keeping my account, and using the "DishMover" program, compared to just cancelling and starting up as a new customer, why would I want to do that?

I did get an email from them with a number to call if I "change my mind" so it's probably not too late to salvage, just don't know if I want to.
"As far as You ARE concerned?"...Umm, in what way did you come up with "this is a new account"?
By all means, please tell us how you arrived at this conclusion.

The Dish Mover promotion is an offer to install a dish on your new home at no cost and with no new commitment. In my opinion its a great program because all you have to do is bring your remotes and receivers with you and then dish comes out and installs a new dish and wires up your home for you at no cost and no contract extension. As far as leaving your dish on the roof, dish doesn't come out and pull old dishes down, that is up to the customer if they want to leave the dish at their old residence or remove it themselves.

That's what I meant.

Ever been charged back for signing up a customer like this unknowingly?
Was working for a retailer. Customer signed up, cleared credit and account created. I get to the job and it's at a house I have been to before. These are the new homeowners.
INstall? Piece of cake. Took 30 mins. MY Stuff was still there.
Activation was another ballgame.
Because the previous owner never bothered to tell Dish they had moved and their account was still active at this address, I was basically EFFED..
There was no way I was leaving without this getting done. So after snapping at the CSR and telling her how stupid it was for Dish's system to approve a new account where an older one existed, I got her off the phone.
I had the customer call the previous homeowner. I got the guy on the phone, luckily he remembered me. Anyway, I got him to call Dish and order a dish mover. This released his old address. I waited about an hour for the new info to clear and finally after almost 4 hrs I was out of there.

I upgraded to 2 Hoppers & 4 Joeys for a total quoted upgrade fee of $100. The Dish company install completely replaced the older LNBF's with newer multi-switch in the LNBF equipment eliminating the need for my two DPP44 external switches requiring only the Hopper nodes and Joey splitters and drilling 2 new holes and running 2 new cables for one of my Hoppers and my 4th Joey. When I received my bill, I was charged $50.00 for each Hopper. That was it! I'd say $50 for a complete Hopper system install with new LNBF's, and all labor included is a very good way to treat a current customer. It really doesn't get better than what I got, and what the OP was offered. This is one of the reasons I've stayed with Dish all these years and not defected :) to DirecTV (a good service, just more expensive for what I get at Dish) nor my crappy Charter cable TV, although I am a happy 30Mbs Charter Internet customer, and it is also one reason why I recommend Dish to those seeking pay TV alternatives. Of course, if they want to watch the Lakers, I have to recommend DirecTV or FiOS before the cable companies.

Dish is NOT going to give a current customer a FREEBIE install as we ALL got our one-time FREEBIE when we first became Dish subscribers (even the old full-rebate program goes back to year 1999). After that, we are asked to contribute something for an upgrade. How good of a deal we are quoted may have to do with level of subscription, PPV purchases, timely payment, not a PITA customer always calling CSR's for no good reason, no disputes of purchases, and length of service, and even how often we upgrade, or if Dish makes more money off of you, yeah, they are willing to do a $50 upgrade, and if they make less money off of you, like at a bottom tier with no DVR or PPV purchases, they will want you to contribute more to upgrade cost.

The OP overplayed his hand. I do believe $50 per Hopper SYSTEM, that includes Joey's, is outstanding and gets no better for a current customer. Giving a FREEBIE to a sub who probably has only an average or below average bill is an example of Dish LOSING money, and in such a case, Charlie has made it clear you are welcome to go pay the higher prices at DirecTV or cable or FiOS (an excellent service FiOS is, but I would be paying about $30+ per month more to get close to what I get at Dish).

There is greed for the making of money, and the greed of FREEBIES. Neither serves us very well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)