Dish makes it difficult to justify downgrade from AEP, dollar wise

Rlanham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Dish makes it difficult to justify downgrading dollar wise from their AEP, with all the DVR/receiver fees that they tack on. $24/month in my case if I don't keep the AEP.

The website shows I would have $7 HD fee, and 3-$5.98 DVR fees for some reason, although customer service says I would only have 2-$5.98 DVR fees.

In my opinion their advertising is misleading since the HD essential pack is really $17, not $10.

To save ~$30/month, I would give up all movie channels, and some HD channels like the golf channel that are not in the HD essential pak.

I currently have the AEP with locals (1-622DVR & 1-522DVR) and I pay $131.98 per month.

If I downgrade to America's top 250, dish HD essential and locals, my bill would be $99.93 +tax according to the website.

Oh well, I guess I can put the $30 towards a netflix sub and still have a few bucks leftover.

I am not sure how you figure that the HD essentials price is $17. You pay either the enabling fee or the $10. If anything it si only $3 to move up to HD essentials. But in the end you are correct that you can save money by dropping all of the movie channels. It comes down to whether you watch those channels.

DVR Advantage includes one DVR fee and locals for 49.99. $10.00 more for 250. With HD essentials, one additional DVR fee and one lease fee, you would be at $82.97. And with DVR advantage, you can add a premium for $10.00= $92.97 total. This is what I have (at AT200 + HBO). I also used to have AEP. Don't mess with the online thing, just call.

Last edited:
I got my bill down to $77.97. (Still confused)
Top 200 w/locals $49.99
Dish Essential HD $10
Rest, rep said $17.98 were DVR and receiver lease fees. (I don't own my 622 & 522 receivers)

If I use DISH Builder, it shows same above total, but then on final screen it subtracts $5.98 and says congratulations, you save $5.98 with DVR advantage??? and shows $70.97

Rep told me that to get DVR advantage plan that I would have to sign up for autopay or 24-month committment.
(Went with autopay)

Website shows my programming as top 200, not DVR advantage.

Was told that HBO is no longer $10, even with DVR advantage package.. that it is $14.99. I guess I will call back later when the new HBO season starts and see if I can get it for $10

Rep said I would have to wait 6-months before I could get 1-cent Cinemax deal.

Saving $55/month over AEP, and I don't think I will miss much of what I gave up.

Why is talking with Dish reps, alot like ordering at a chinese take-out.

Last edited:
Got everything straightened out thru CHAT.. I will use CHAT from now on.

(05-03) Jennie H: Ok, I can see that you were signed up for the DVR advantage. You have the DVR Advantage (200 +Locals) 49.99, you have the DISHHD Essential for $10, You have the Leased Receiver fee for $7, you have the Digital Home Plan for $5, and the second DVR fee (DVR Advantage only covers one) is 5.98.
(05-03) Jennie H: I apologize for any confusion.
(05-03) Jennie H: Is there anything else I can do for you?
Rob: I see, what is the digital home plan?
(05-03) Jennie H: That is a warranty.
(05-03) Jennie H: It makes service calls and replacing equipment free, it is an amazing warranty.
Rob: I see, that is probably worth it with 2-dvrs'.. I have one more question, if you would be so kind. I was told that HBO is no longer $10 with the DVR advantage that it is $14.99 even though Dish Builder show it is reduced to $10 with DVR advantage is that true?
(05-03) Jennie H: Well, yes, the premium channels are regular price for just one, but if you get 2 or more they are $10 a piece.
Somebody is wrong?, either 2 reps in a row, or dish builder...

Last edited:
Got everything straightened out thru CHAT.. I will use CHAT from now on.

(05-03) Jennie H: Ok, I can see that you were signed up for the DVR advantage. You have the DVR Advantage (200 +Locals) 49.99, you have the DISHHD Essential for $10, You have the Leased Receiver fee for $7, you have the Digital Home Plan for $5, and the second DVR fee (DVR Advantage only covers one) is 5.98.
(05-03) Jennie H: I apologize for any confusion.
Rob: I see, what is the digital home plan?
(05-03) Jennie H: That is a warranty.
(05-03) Jennie H: It makes service calls and replacing equipment free, it is an amazing warranty.
Rob: I see, that is probably worth it with 2-dvrs'.. I have one more question, if you would be so kind. I was told that HBO is no longer $10 with the DVR advantage that it is $14.99 even though Dish Builder show it is reduced to $10 with DVR advantage is that true?
(05-03) Jennie H: Well, yes, the premium channels are regular price for just one, but if you get 2 or more they are $10 a piece.
Somebody is wrong?, either 2 reps in a row, or dish builder...

Drop the warranty and save the money. You can call in and add it at any time. People have even reported adding it and setting up a service call on the same phone call. No need to be paying for it unless you need it.

Not sure about HBO, but with the $5 difference from the warranty it'll be like getting HBO for $10.

This is correct. I just went to DISH Network -- Dish DVR Advantage but couldn't find the link to the pop-up with the price chart. Premiums include the pay movie channels, the step-up to AT250, and IIRC, the HD package.

I had Cinemax and HBO with the Dish Latino Max Advantage plan and on Friday I dropped Cinemax. The CSR gave me the new price and it dropped by $10.00. He didn't say anything about HBO going to full price because of dropping Cinemax.

I guess I'll find out in my next bill.

Where is this dish builder calculator? I have been thinking about dropping my HD a level and going from 200 to 250 I am curious what that would change.
I have a 622&522 and I am currently paying $113 a month for 200 with locals plus the $20 HD plus HBO plus Showtime.

Where is this dish builder calculator? I have been thinking about dropping my HD a level and going from 200 to 250 I am curious what that would change.
I have a 622&522 and I am currently paying $113 a month for 200 with locals plus the $20 HD plus HBO plus Showtime.

Forget the calculator, see post #5 above regarding DVR advantage.

Dropped AEP last night, told I couldn't get cinemax for penny promo by phone CSR and Chat CSR.
Went on chat, and CSR said sure he would add if for me.. 12-cents for the year...
Guess I will try for $10 HBO next.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)