DISH Makes offer to buy Sprint (Rescinded)

Blockbuster was DEAD. Dish resuscitated it for a bit, which was better than the other option. The other company wanted to liquidate it. You can't run a company into the ground that's already dead. That's why this BB comparison is so stupid.

I've never hit a dead spot in Japan, even in elevators and subways. I marvel at their coverage.
Its 3 years since I went to Japan and driving even in Tokyo was fraught with drop out changing cells. The subways and major buildings hand their own cells and repeaters throughout and I agree the subways were excellent.

I wish some-one could tell me what's so great about dish. They run an inferior satellite system that is already outdated and users have to have cheap and nasty dishes that are only marginally fit for purpose.
Their CEO has a poor reputation and their customer base TV and satellite internet is declining, no wonder they are looking to get into cell and terrestial distribution. I only hope if they succeed they do not damage the business they purchase like they seem intent on doing to their own.

The board isn't obligated to sell the company.
They are if the deal is in the best interest of the company.
If they choose not to, they will have valid reasons that are in the best interest of the company.
This is where pride often interferes. They have a fiduciary responsibility to have valid reasons, but that doesn't make it so.

I wish some-one could tell me what's so great about dish. They run an inferior satellite system that is already outdated and users have to have cheap and nasty dishes that are only marginally fit for purpose.
Their CEO has a poor reputation and their customer base TV and satellite internet is declining, no wonder they are looking to get into cell and terrestial distribution. I only hope if they succeed they do not damage the business they purchase like they seem intent on doing to their own.

I dont reply much anymore because this site is full of idiots. You sir are one of them.

Dish's best quality is that the Owner doesn't beat puppies like the members on Directv's board of directors do.

Oh, and Directv hired a TV with very questionable morals to do their advertising.

Last edited:
Blockbuster was DEAD. Dish resuscitated it for a bit, which was better than the other option. The other company wanted to liquidate it. You can't run a company into the ground that's already dead. That's why this BB comparison is so stupid.

I think when you compare the end of Blockbuster after DISH bought it and what DISH did with the whole Tivo debacle and subsequent lawsuits and payouts. Let's not forget the original Microsoft Webtv /dishplayer partnership that went terribly wrong. Take all that into account and you can see that what ever DISH(formally Dishnetwork and Echostar before that ) has tried to take over and or work in partnership with, has not worked out well at all. Lets not forget about Echostar buying Sling and the creators leaving shortly afterwards. Anything that Charlie has tried to do in conjunction with other companies has not worked out well for either party. Charlie Ergen's business history speaks for itself. Take all that into account and you can see why Sprint wanted nothing to do with Charlie and or his various companies taking them over. Besides when DISH took over Blockbuster there was talk of not only keeping the physical stores open ,but a streaming video service that would rival Netflix was supposedly in the works. Both did NOT happen and now the dvd service sucks big time. When you promise so much and deliver so little , as Charlie and DISH did, people do not trust you to do anything you say you will.

Last edited:

If that is truly your view on Dish then why are you even in the Dish forum? I have been a Dish retailer and customer for years so I can be a little biased but you will not see me go to the DirecTV forum and bash their product. I do the opposite actually, I know that DirecTV has their benefits just the same as Dish does. If I feel a customer will benefit more from DirecTV I have no problems with that.

Dish May Cast a Wider Net http://allthingsd.com/20130622/dish-may-cast-a-wider-net/?reflink=ATD_yahoo_ticker Interesting Article..Having abandoned efforts to buy Sprint Nextel, Dish Network’s next move may be to resurrect merger talks with satellite rival DirecTV or re-engage wireless carrier T-Mobile, analysts said on Friday.

Dish earlier this year held preliminary discussions about a possible merger with the wireless phone company, which is majority owned by Deutsche Telekom AG, DTE.XE -0.42% according to people familiar with the matter.

I think when you compare the end of Blockbuster after DISH bought it and what DISH did with the whole Tivo debacle and subsequent lawsuits and payouts. Let's not forget the original Microsoft Webtv /dishplayer partnership that went terribly wrong. Take all that into account and you can see that what ever DISH(formally Dishnetwork and Echostar before that ) has tried to take over and or work in partnership with, has not worked out well at all. Lets not forget about Echostar buying Sling and the creators leaving shortly afterwards. Anything that Charlie has tried to do in conjunction with other companies has not worked out well for either party. Charlie Ergen's business history speaks for itself. Take all that into account and you can see why Sprint wanted nothing to do with Charlie and or his various companies taking them over. Besides when DISH took over Blockbuster there was talk of not only keeping the physical stores open ,but a streaming video service that would rival Netflix was supposedly in the works. Both did NOT happen and now the dvd service sucks big time. When you promise so much and deliver so little , as Charlie and DISH did, people do not trust you to do anything you say you will.

They were going to pay TIVO sooner or later, just paid later like many of the other big players that are just paying TIVO now.

When Dish bought Blockbuster, Blockbuster was going down for the count. In their financial reports, Charlie said he recognized that fact and indeed it might not be able to be salvaged. But, the name had value and there were enough Blockbuster fixed assets to cover all costs of the purchase price in the event things did not work out. No one else seemed interested in buying the scraps. Seems like a clear headed business decision.

In regard to Sling. Sling is a great success and an example of a market niche Dish has developed into something really nice.

Whatever Ethel.
Wrong reference.
I think when you compare the end of Blockbuster after DISH bought it and what DISH did with the whole Tivo debacle...
And the football gets taken out of the way... again. You keep saying Dish killed BB, but when called on it, you shift goalposts or pull the football out of the way and mention other things not related to the BB deal.

Wrong reference.
And the football gets taken out of the way... again. You keep saying Dish killed BB, but when called on it, you shift goalposts or pull the football out of the way and mention other things not related to the BB deal.

I am not going to change my mind about Charlie Ergen and what he did to Blockbuster and what he didn't deliver on after the purchase . You are obviously a DISH pom pom waiver and that is fine.:cheer2: I like DISH too and I am quite happy with them going on 16 & 1/2 years now. I like their equipment and have 3 DISH accounts for me ,my parents and aunt. That being said I can be objective and see the faults of both Charlie and his long sordid business history. I am not going to waste any more time on this argument or waste my time responding to you. You are free to believe what EVER you want and so am I. :cool:

Have a GREAT day.:)

Actually, in the REAL world, in adult discussions and debates, an Ad Hominem attack loses the argument for the person making the attack. A pretty clear declaration that the attacker has no real defense for an emotionally held belief.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yep. That "sordid" pickup he had, selling "sordid" BUDs and his being a self made man. "Sordid?" Or "ENVY!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts