Dish may drop E! and Style

Just shows that Dish is not the only one!

Until these carriers grow some backbone and start saying NO these media giants will price gouge us into oblivion.

Alternate channels are the way to go - tell them you are tooo expensive, we will create our own channel like yours for 1/2 the price - go to ____.

You're right, Dish isn't the only one and I think it will get worse before it gets better. More channel contentions are in our future.

But the carriers are caught in the middle of this mess. If they do as you say, then they have to drop the channels involved and customers complain that the 'xyz channel' isn't on and they are going to switch/dump. If they don't, then we end up paying more, resulting in the same result from the customers. It is definitely a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation!

And from all appearances, Comcast channels are going to be a big part of these contentious issues!

These guys don't understand that, they just go with what even makes Dish Network not look as bad, They just down play everything.

If Chuck Dropped everything but the shopping channels, these guys would still be like

"OH well, I only liked the shopping channels anyway":rolleyes:

...And you care why? Why don't you just mosey on back to the DirecTV forum where you came from. In case you haven't noticed, your precious DirecTV isn't immune to carriage disputes either.

What is "scary" is that Comcast owns E!, Style, Golf Channel, and Versus. They also have part of G4. I also guess this is why we do not see PBS Kids Sprout, MLB Network, FEARnet, and TV One on Dish.
And just think, in the very near future they will own all of the Universal and Warner brothers property's as well. USA, SYFY, NBC and the list just keeps going.
My guess is that Comcast is getting ready to do a major hostile takeover of one of the satellite broadcasters in the next couple of years. If not a takeover, at least it will put comcast in a role to dictate terms to one of the unfortunate companies.

I got to say that I'm tired of Dish complaining that the said channel in dispute is not practicing in good faith agreements. Really, I love Dish and have stuck with them throughout the FOX blackout and the on going Disney HD dispute (which I'm shocked that a company can charge any cable/sat provider to carry the same channel, just an HD feed). At some point they must realize that when they are fighting numerous companies, it must be them with the problem. They seem like that nosy neighbor who the entire neighborhood hates and yet continues to claim that it isn't them, it's everyone else.

I do watch E!, but no problem if it's gone.
You can get a good Idea of who the uniformed (nicer word than I want to use) are reading replies. Charlie was the original one to not take increases by programmers for granted. Had Direct or Cable providers done the same, perhaps this would not have become as out of control as it has. Now they find themselves fighting increases and losing channels at least for awhile too. This is no longer a "Dish" thing. Notice my join date here, I have been a Dish subscriber much longer than that. They have consistently been the lower priced provider overall. (Not a slam against Direct, they are a great provider also, very competitive pricing) They provide a signal virtually 100% of the time, while Cable at work goes out a few times a year from car/pole accidents, transformer explosions, etc..... yet Cable cost WAY more in my area, for less. So ya, I'm backing Dish on these disputes.

Last edited:
You left out the Time Warner dust up with Sinclair Broadcast Group. That has the potential to be a biggie.

Time Warner Cable says Big 4 shows to stay on-air
– Thu Dec 30, 11:06 pm ET
NEW YORK – Time Warner Cable Inc. said Thursday that its customers will still be able to view major programming from ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox even if it can't reach a deal with broadcaster Sinclair before their contract expires Friday at midnight.

About four million Time Warner Cable customers from Portland, Maine, to Pensacola, Fla., are caught in the middle of the New York company's dust-up over the fees it pays Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. to include its signals in channel lineups.

However, Time Warner Cable said late Thursday that it will continue to provide all available Big 4 network programming this weekend even if Hunt Valley, Md.-based Sinclair pulls local programming such as the evening news. Such a plan could mean that college football fans may be able to watch Saturday's ABC broadcast of the Florida Gators playing in the Outback bowl after all.

The companies' dispute is the latest of several in the industry this year, some of which resulted in cable customers missing part of the Oscars broadcast and two World Series games. In most cases, however, cable and broadcast companies have been able to avoid blackouts, even if negotiations go down the wire. Earlier Thursday, DirecTV Corp. said it reached a deal with broadcaster Hearst Corp. over the fees the satellite company pays to carry Hearst's 29 local TV stations, averting a blackout. The companies' contract had been scheduled to expire at midnight Friday as well.

Broadcast companies used to allow cable providers to carry their channels for free and made their money selling commercial time. But competition for ad dollars has intensified, and broadcasters now see these fees from cable providers as a crucial, second revenue stream.

Sinclair is asking for more cash for the right to carry signals from its stations, but Time Warner Cable is resisting the increase. The contract affects 33 Sinclair stations in 21 markets.

Time Warner Cable said Thursday that it is still working to reach a long-term agreement with Sinclair. Rob Marcus, the company's president and chief operating officer, said discussions between the Time Warner Cable programming team and Sinclair have taken place "as recently as this morning and are ongoing."

Sinclair Broadcast was not immediately reachable for comment.

Front page news in the local MudSlide - TV Disputes threaten to hit viewers.

Suddenlink Cable is in DANGER of losing all the Viacom channels because of a 20% rate hike and Viacom pushing "R Rated" EPIX movie channel.

DirecTV is having carriage dispute with RayCom Video Group so local NBC might disappear off DirecTV tomorrow.

Local Ramar Communications is also in dispute with DirecTV wanting them to either carry all 4 of its channels (FOX, MyTV, CW and Telemundo all are carried except Telemundo) or stop advertizing that they carry ALL local stations.

Just shows that Dish is not the only one!

Until these carriers grow some backbone and start saying NO these media giants will price gouge us into oblivion.

Alternate channels are the way to go - tell them you are tooo expensive, we will create our own channel like yours for 1/2 the price - go to ____.

Hearst, DirecTV reach deal on programming fees
– Thu Dec 30, 10:40 pm ET
NEW YORK – DirecTV satellite subscribers around the country will continue to receive network TV stations owned by Hearst Corp. after the two companies reached a new deal over the fees that DirecTV pays the broadcasting company to carry stations on its lineup.

The original deal would have expired at midnight Friday, and subscribers in Boston, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and other markets could have lost Hearst-owned stations on DirecTV. Hearst owns 29 local TV stations, which include affiliates of all the major networks except Fox.

Many of these negotiations over fees have been going down to the wire recently as broadcasters look to tap a second source of revenue outside of selling commercial time. Some disputes have even extended past the expiration of previous deals, leaving cable and satellite subscribers without channels for days, even weeks.

Sinclair Broadcast Group is still wrangling with Time Warner Cable Inc. over the same issue. If a deal isn't reached by midnight Friday, 33 stations could go dark for Time Warner customers. However, Time Warner Cable said late Thursday that it will continue to show all available programs from ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox this weekend even if Sinclair pulls local programming such as the evening news. Such a plan could mean that college football fans may be able to watch Saturday's ABC broadcast of the Florida Gators playing in the Outback bowl after all.

Hearst and DirecTV reached a new deal Wednesday and announced it Thursday.

Terms were not disclosed. DirecTV, which is based in El Segundo, Calif., has about 19 million subscribers nationwide, although the company would not say how many could have been affected had it failed to reach a deal with Hearst, which is based in New York.

Hearst, DirecTV reach deal on programming fees
– Thu Dec 30, 10:40 pm ET
NEW YORK – DirecTV satellite subscribers around the country will continue to receive network TV stations owned by Hearst Corp. after the two companies reached a new deal over the fees that DirecTV pays the broadcasting company to carry stations on its lineup.

The original deal would have expired at midnight Friday, and subscribers in Boston, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and other markets could have lost Hearst-owned stations on DirecTV. Hearst owns 29 local TV stations, which include affiliates of all the major networks except Fox.

Many of these negotiations over fees have been going down to the wire recently as broadcasters look to tap a second source of revenue outside of selling commercial time. Some disputes have even extended past the expiration of previous deals, leaving cable and satellite subscribers without channels for days, even weeks.

Sinclair Broadcast Group is still wrangling with Time Warner Cable Inc. over the same issue. If a deal isn't reached by midnight Friday, 33 stations could go dark for Time Warner customers. However, Time Warner Cable said late Thursday that it will continue to show all available programs from ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox this weekend even if Sinclair pulls local programming such as the evening news. Such a plan could mean that college football fans may be able to watch Saturday's ABC broadcast of the Florida Gators playing in the Outback bowl after all.

Hearst and DirecTV reached a new deal Wednesday and announced it Thursday.

Terms were not disclosed. DirecTV, which is based in El Segundo, Calif., has about 19 million subscribers nationwide, although the company would not say how many could have been affected had it failed to reach a deal with Hearst, which is based in New York.
This is how D* settles disputes.

Now lets see how Dish will handle theirs, Again!

Time Warner Cable says Big 4 shows to stay on-air
– Thu Dec 30, 11:06 pm ET
NEW YORK – Time Warner Cable Inc. said Thursday that its customers will still be able to view major programming from ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox even if it can't reach a deal with broadcaster Sinclair before their contract expires Friday at midnight.

About four million Time Warner Cable customers from Portland, Maine, to Pensacola, Fla., are caught in the middle of the New York company's dust-up over the fees it pays Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. to include its signals in channel lineups.

However, Time Warner Cable said late Thursday that it will continue to provide all available Big 4 network programming this weekend even if Hunt Valley, Md.-based Sinclair pulls local programming such as the evening news. Such a plan could mean that college football fans may be able to watch Saturday's ABC broadcast of the Florida Gators playing in the Outback bowl after all.

The companies' dispute is the latest of several in the industry this year, some of which resulted in cable customers missing part of the Oscars broadcast and two World Series games. In most cases, however, cable and broadcast companies have been able to avoid blackouts, even if negotiations go down the wire. Earlier Thursday, DirecTV Corp. said it reached a deal with broadcaster Hearst Corp. over the fees the satellite company pays to carry Hearst's 29 local TV stations, averting a blackout. The companies' contract had been scheduled to expire at midnight Friday as well.

Broadcast companies used to allow cable providers to carry their channels for free and made their money selling commercial time. But competition for ad dollars has intensified, and broadcasters now see these fees from cable providers as a crucial, second revenue stream.

Sinclair is asking for more cash for the right to carry signals from its stations, but Time Warner Cable is resisting the increase. The contract affects 33 Sinclair stations in 21 markets.

Time Warner Cable said Thursday that it is still working to reach a long-term agreement with Sinclair. Rob Marcus, the company's president and chief operating officer, said discussions between the Time Warner Cable programming team and Sinclair have taken place "as recently as this morning and are ongoing."

Sinclair Broadcast was not immediately reachable for comment.

I wonder if that is legal. Seems like that might violate some sort of FCC rule or be an issue with the NAB.

why is it everytime Dish has a dispute with a Network owned by a company, the DirecTV fanboys come flooding in here to troll and tell us why DirecTV is the King and Dish is just some a**hole company that hates everyone. it's really getting old for both Dish's dispute issue and DirecTV's fanboys just coming in here to troll.

there's a difference to us Dish customers and DirecTV fanboys, we are paying for it, not you, you are paying for DirecTV you damn fanboys. so stay out of our section, only Dish Customers are allowed to complain about Dish's business practices and other stuff we normally talk about here in the Dish Network forums

anyway, i think we will lose E! and Style for a good few months since this is Dish and Comcast that are in Dispute,the last major Dispute we had with Comcast and Versus (then in 2005 when it happened, OLN) which started in October 2005 when Dish pulled OLN (Versus) as they weren't happy with Comcast wanted more money to carry the network due to getting the official Cable TV contract to the NHL and to carry the games on Dish. and that disputed ended the day Comcast announced that OLN would be renamed to Versus. and that was in April of 2006.

so if E! and Style are gone for a good long time, i predict that one of the HD only channels will be on Dish's SD lineup and on the HD packages that said channels are on. it happened during the Fox dispute, and it will happen again.

that's good, they avoided a midnight Eastern blackout and now we will see if the long-term deal is reach, as long as both channels stay on Dish, it's good news then.

edit: photographic proof from the networks sites, they are on both sites:

from E!'s site, Eonline.com:
eoldrop.extended.jpg

also fansfightback.com now redirects to E!'s website.

Last edited:
As for the D* fanboys that pop up, it makes me feel like deep down inside they (particularly those who had E* and switched to D*) secretly wish they had/still had E* or something. Or that they're not sure that their choice to be with D* was the right choice, so they need to reinforce/justify their decision to use D* by "bashing" E*. You certainly don't see me going into D* forums griping about their lack of national HD 24/7, because I am satisfied with my choice to use E* and don't feel the need to justify it by trolling D* forums.

As for this topic, I am glad they reached a temporary agreement or whatever, doesn't bother me either way. If they were to yank those channels an hour from now I wouldn't care in the least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)