DISH may drop the CBS affiliate for the Huntington/Charlston WV market June 30 or July 1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
we just lost these stations...there goes NASCAR............!
CBS Network Affiliates:
WOWK · WTRF · WVNS

Fox Network Affiliates:
WTRF-DT2 · WVNS-DT2
MyNetworkTV Affiliate:
WTRF-DT2* · WVNS-DT2*

ummm...NASCAR isnt back on Fox til next year ;)
(I guess you are assuming this contract dispute is going to last a while)

Well dish did drop WBOY in Clarksburg WV on Saturday. Dish says WBOY wants a 200% increase in fees, that actually amounts to 2 cents!

I also get WBOY on my OTA tuner and in HD so that is what I use and record off of. I am wondering if the timers I have setup will still fire off since the guide no longer has programing on it. When I look at the timers they are still set to fire but no one at dish can tell me for sure. I know I can convert to a manual and they will work, but why go to the trouble if I don't have to? Does anyone know for sure?
Michael

Well dish did drop WBOY in Clarksburg WV on Saturday. Dish says WBOY wants a 200% increase in fees, that actually amounts to 2 cents!

I also get WBOY on my OTA tuner and in HD so that is what I use and record off of. I am wondering if the timers I have setup will still fire off since the guide no longer has programing on it. When I look at the timers they are still set to fire but no one at dish can tell me for sure. I know I can convert to a manual and they will work, but why go to the trouble if I don't have to? Does anyone know for sure?
Michael

I believe that the timers that were already set before the guide data went away will go via time and channel. Times after the data that was present before the data went away will need manual.

That is what I was hoping and a CSR at Dish thought that also, but you know how informed they are. In any case I will check at the appointed time and report back if it worked.
Michael

Timers failed as there was nothing to record. Apparently automatic timers are married to the guide. I don't know about manual timers, but I will set one up and see.

Timers failed as there was nothing to record. Apparently automatic timers are married to the guide. I don't know about manual timers, but I will set one up and see.

Manual timers operate by time and channel. They should be OK. Just to be sure, your old timers were set up on the OTA channel -01, not the Dish -00? Your description "There was nothing to record" would suggest being set to record the now missing Dish -00 channel, not the OTA.

Nope, they have always been set to record the OTA channel as the Dish version is not in HD. We left the timer unchanged but it failed. Manual does work, however. The guide for both channel says "Important press release" so the automatic timers don't see the program they want to record. The manual timers are set to a specific time and channel and will record whatever is on. The title the manual timer records says "Important press release", but the content is what we want. The problem with the manual timers is if the program is late they won't adjust to the time as the automatic ones will do. That makes them a little unreliable. I'm getting tired of Dish fighting with the programmers and we pay the price! I wonder if Direct does the same thing.
Michael

What he means by "moving" is by changing your physical location address to a different city that has all network stations such as the closest DMA/city that are on Dish. If they catch you doing this then they will turn the channels off.

Wymt

I wonder if WYMT in Hazard, KY is considered Huntington/Charleston, WV or Lexington, KY. Maybe they could replace WOWK with WYMT. Maybe that would get WOWK's attention.
I live about a hour from Hazzard Ky and they won`t give me that station going to call and ask for another CBS station and if they don`t i will go to someone else for tv.

What he means by "moving" is by changing your physical location address to a different city that has all network stations such as the closest DMA/city that are on Dish. If they catch you doing this then they will turn the channels off.

all they would do is move you back to your actual address

I live about a hour from Hazzard Ky and they won`t give me that station going to call and ask for another CBS station and if they don`t i will go to someone else for tv.

bye then.....it was posted before

Dish cannot import any station into a different market unless that market does not have that affiliate. Retransmission issues do not allow a provider to import a different station

I guess I don't understand why he would suggest this. Was he just trying to be facetious?

Yes and no.

It's been known to be done. A customer wants a specific set of locals or a regional sports channel so he tells Dish he's moving to new address where those channels are available. "No tech visit needed, he can move his equipment and set it up himself." Dish reprograms his account and voila! Like said before, if they catch on, they'll put him back where he belongs. It is not exactly within the rules.

mmcl26554 said:
I guess I don't understand why he would suggest this. Was he just trying to be facetious?

No, many around here have done so, and it's talk that although frowned upon by some, is not forbidden talk here. All of you were upset, so I provided an option that I've heard worked for others in the past. As said before, the ramification is they move you back.

No, many around here have done so, and it's talk that although frowned upon by some, is not forbidden talk here. All of you were upset, so I provided an option that I've heard worked for others in the past. As said before, the ramification is they move you back.

OK, now I understand what you meant!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts