DISH may lose WBNS Channel 10 in Columbus, Ohio

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
Today, I was watching the Channel 10 news at noon, and they had a crawl announcement that said that Dish network customers will lose Channel 10 on September 1st unless DISH and WBNS can agree on a transmission cost. They had a number for DISH and were advocating that we call DISH and complain.

Another chapter in the never ending story. :popcorn

Seriously though, chances are you won't loose it and if you do it will only be for a couple of days. True, when we in the Northwest lost the Fisher stations it was for months, but that was an exception. Generally it's just posturing, both sides will come to an agreement (WBNS blinks), and everything goes back to normal.

I live in Columbus and this sucks. I already canceled my Dish install because of the BTN thing and now this. Hell we came close to losing our ABC,FOX and CW locals because of the Sinclair deal. Throw in AMC and this stuff is getting ridiculous. Yea I know a lot of you will say it's not Dishes fault and all that but damn. That's a lot of stuff. I all I want is to switch to Dish and get 2 Hoppers and be happy. Looks like that won't happen for a long long while.

Sorry guys just venting some.

You can blame AMC on Dish, but these local channels are being absurd even asking for a dime. They hardly produce any content, all they do is rebroadcast the national feeds.

You can blame AMC on Dish, but these local channels are being absurd even asking for a dime. They hardly produce any content, all they do is rebroadcast the national feeds.

I agree! It just seems like if it's not one thing it's another that's keeping me from jumping. Think about it... if I would have jumped a month ago and the Sinclair deal would have went south we would have lost our ABC,FOX,CW and possibly our CBS channel now. The Big Ten Network is huge hear in Columbus and that could be gone and we love AMC!!!! I am so glad I haven't jumped yet.

Thanks for all the good info you guys and letting me vent. I appreciate it!

This is the other station that Dispatch owns (the other being the NBC in Indy where there is a thread on that too)

1. Dispatch Media is pure crap.

2. More reason to have OTA antenna hooked up to the receive. Pull the channel, I don't care.....we'll just go OTA.

Money hungry foolz.

I find the last sentence of this article intriguing because I thought there has been no dialog except for a middle finger to the Dolans by Charlie Ergen.

"Dish is also in negotiations over rights to offer AMC Networks to its subscribers."

I find the last sentence of this article intriguing because I thought there has been no dialog except for a middle finger to the Dolans by Charlie Ergen.

I would say that is inaccurate reporting. The person who wrote it thinks he/she knows what they are writing about. They are assuming there are negotiations.

So, what are the options as a subscriber. Im only about 4 months into my 24 month commitment. I feel Dish is not living up to their end of the contract. I too, live in the Columbus, Ohio area. 10 TV is off today. Big 10 is temporary, and of course AMC. These channels and Dish say to email and/or call to voice my opinion. I don't feel this is my job. I'm paying Dish and they are no longer providing the service I signed up for. When I called, they told me they can stop and channels at any time without violating the contract. To cancel, I will have to pay the early termination fee.

So, what are the options as a subscriber. Im only about 4 months into my 24 month commitment. I feel Dish is not living up to their end of the contract. I too, live in the Columbus, Ohio area. 10 TV is off today. Big 10 is temporary, and of course AMC. These channels and Dish say to email and/or call to voice my opinion. I don't feel this is my job. I'm paying Dish and they are no longer providing the service I signed up for. When I called, they told me they can stop and channels at any time without violating the contract. To cancel, I will have to pay the early termination fee.

What they told you is what's in the agreement you signed. I know that's little comfort and not what you want to hear. They were offering some deals for AMC. Did you get anything for AMC?

As stated above, I know it's not what you want to hear but:
http://www.dish.com/downloads/legal/Residential-Agreement.pdf
Residential Service Agreement

Section 1 - Paragraph I
I. Changes in Services Offered. We may add, delete, rearrange and/or change any and all programming,
programming packages and other Services that we offer, as well as the prices and fees related to such programming,
programming packages and Services, at any time, including without limitation, during any term commitment period to
which you have agreed. If a change affects you, we will notify you of such change and its effective date. In the event
that we delete, rearrange or change any programming, programming packages or other Services, we have no obligation
to replace or supplement such programming, programming packages or other Services. You are not entitled to any
refund because of a deletion, rearrangement or change of any programming, programming packages or other Services.

Tony

Only AMC is a gripe you have to be honest. (And even at that they gave credits and a free Roku, should be enough to get someone through a contract)
With the other two you are not being reasonable in my opinion. Has the Big Ten been dropped? No. Could it be, sure so could any other number of channels in negotiation.

And as for the local, virtually all come back in a reasonable amount of time. Direct TV lost locals several times. So has cable. As pointed out, actually Dish is living up to their contract. If you really want more answers or info do a search here, it has been discussed in detail in the past.

It can be a pain, but with costs escalating and the economy so bad, you can bet other carriers are going to be put in the same position. I am a long time subscriber, and I can tell you disputes with other carriers has risen over the last year or so. AMC/Rainbow is more an exception to the rule, that eventually they come back. Sure Dish has dropped a few that did not return or returned in another way, but so has Direct TV, Fios, and others. Charter dropped the Mets channels (SNY) for a long time in Ct.

Last edited:
I am watching it on OTA. My only concern is that the guide now shows the message from Dish and not actual programming that is on CBS, so it may not record as a result and I will have to manually do it.

:mad:WBNS posted this--> http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/08/29/wbns-dish-customers-notice.html
My comment to them:

I'm sorry WBNS / Dispatch, but this is all on YOU and your greed. I'm hoping we can get a CBS feed from Charleston/Huntington, WV. Frankly I don't care where it comes from. Why would you prompt people to contact DISH to voice their unhappiness when you have instigated this by wanting a ridiculous fee increase from DISH?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)