Dish Mexico: a success history

simonhwsn

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Mexico
Hey guys, I just wanted to share this with you
A year ago (November 24th, 2008) Dish Mexico, a joint venture between Echostar and MVS was launched and now has over one million suscribers, a growth without precedents in mexican paid tv industry. Sky, its DTH competitor has 1.8 million suscribers but it's been out since 1996.
The secret of its success: a low cost package with 32 of the top, most viewed channels with at a very reasonable price $149 pesos tax included, about $12 bucks.

Dish Mexico Official Website <- site in spanish

BTW - Yes, the dishes are red :D

Hey guys, I just wanted to share this with you
A year ago (November 24th, 2008) Dish Mexico, a joint venture between Echostar and MVS was launched and now has over one million suscribers, a growth without precedents in mexican paid tv industry. Sky, its DTH competitor has 1.8 million suscribers but it's been out since 1996.
The secret of its success: a low cost package with 32 of the top, most viewed channels with at a very reasonable price $149 pesos tax included, about $12 bucks.

Dish Mexico Official Website <- site in spanish

BTW - Yes, the dishes are red :D

Yea but no Televisa 2,4,5,9 and Azteca 7,13,40

It's been said that Azteca 7, 13 and 40 will be included in early 2010, the channels are already uplinked. Televisa ask for US$1.96 plus taxes per suscriber for a package of 14 channels (most of them are Bullsh!t, my opinion) including their OTA, too expensive to keep the low cost phylosophy, without counting they would need a whole transponder.

Last edited:
It's a real sleeper and will likely turn into a fairly big business. They are doing it with 8 transponders at 77W today. The new Echostar dbs satellite at 86.5W (scheduled for construction completion by the end of 2010) will add another 32 transponders covering southern US and all of Mexico. Add that to the steerable beams tentatively scheduled for Mexico on the new 17 Ghz slots (coming in the next 3-5 years) and you can see where they are going.

Here in Socal I can get all the TP's from Dish Mexico with great quality using an 18" dish.
And one channel in particular is ITC too..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)