Dish Model 811 - P2.89 Software Update

Dune said:
As soon as I get a slight signal loss, the sound goes out and makes a weird noise.

The two times tonight the sound messed up, it was at a scene change (e.g going to or returning from commercial). It looks like 2.89 isn't handling transitions correctly.

Not sure, but I think the black and white bug is still there in 2.89. This often happens switching from satellite to digital OTA and the picture comes on in black and white. After a few seconds or maybe a minute at most, the picture will change over to color. That bug has been there longer than I can remember, on two different 811 boxes.

John Kotches said:
I had similar issues with 2.87, so it's not new to 2.89 it just hasn't been fixed.

Cheers,

Thanks. I went straight from 2.84 to 2.89 and didn't know this would be a problem. I guess I ought to read the forums more and would have definitely not taken the 2.89 update if I'd known it was this badly broken.

If Dish knew about this in 2.87, and not fixed in 2.89, then 2.89 should not have been released. Losing sound or getting damaging tones on OTA is not acceptable. Grrrr. I want my 2.84 back.

Many dumb question on my part but here goes, how and why does DIsh
control downloads to some receivers not others. If the receiver must be turned off how does download occur, phone line, LNB,? It would seem to me
all upgrades should be sent to all receivers. And yes please explain the term
spooling to a newibe. :confused:

In the software stream that is sent to the satellites they can limit which receivers can have the download and which cant

I've been using the Dolby Digital/PCM but I only have the standard audio RCA connections in use. I have noticed that the audio output on my 811 as compared to my 921's, 721, and 510 (haven't compared it to my other receivers) is about half as loud. Something is wrong here.

I've had no Dolby Digital issues with the 811. My Yamaha receiver locks it in right away, even when switching between DD 5.1 and DPL commercials, there's never an issue. I do lose sound & pic momentarily and have some sound stutter when going into the EPG, but that's about it.

oldtimer said:
Many dumb question on my part but here goes, how and why does DIsh
control downloads to some receivers not others. If the receiver must be turned off how does download occur, phone line, LNB,? It would seem to me
all upgrades should be sent to all receivers. And yes please explain the term
spooling to a newibe. :confused:

If you have your receiver set to Standby (what people call OFF) and you have receiver set to automically receive updates then they are downloaded without any action by the user.

It is a terminology problem. When you press the power button on the front of your receiver it appears off, but it is not. It receives the program guide and any software over the air.

An additional observation about P289 after living with it for a week. Command response to the remote and channel change completion seem a tad slower than they used to be. Wife noticed it also. Not a big deal since they did fix the BSOD problem with OTA channel surfing. Now if they had just restored the DVI PQ to where it was in winter 03-04, I'd be a real happy camper.

P2.89 Full Phase for DP811 starting last (Thursday, July 14, 2005)

I know phase information is not that accurate, but here it is in case someone wants to know. Looks like everyone is going to get the P2.89 upgrade sometime in the following days.

-- Full Phase -- starting last Thursday, July 14, 2005.
This information is from Dish Network TechPortal obtained on
July 16, 2005 at 4:17 AM (GMT -4).
This information is subject to change.

"
7/15/2005: 1252 Software Version P2.89 for DP811 Effective Thursday, July 14th, Engineering plans to spool the FULL PHASE of software version P2.89 for the DP811 receiver. This is primarily a non-forced maintenance release available at ALL satellite locations.

At this time P2.89 will be valid software version for the DP811."

Quotethey had just restored the DVI PQ to where it was in winter 03-04, I'd be a real happy camper.Quote

You say it was once good.? I have talked with CS couple times on this issue
but come out with very little info.

SoftwrDude said:
Engineering plans to spool the FULL PHASE of software version P2.89 for the DP811 receiver.

Good , let them all suffer :)

If you use the S/PDIF output I would highly recommend to avoid this update, unless you already have S/PDIF problems and are hoping to get a fix.

My 811 went from perfect audio (2.84) to lockups on digital OTA (2.89).

Well of course they were gonna screw up the digital audio out. How do you think they were gonna be able to fix it so those older audio receivers could get their DD5.1 to work without screwing up the ones that did work. I really wish dish wouldn't have messed with it and just told those folks whos audio receivers DD5.1 didn't work to get a new receiver

Seen new report - Dish spooling P2.89 using triple bandwith:

PID=08A2h Sat Jul 16 14:18:15 2005
New FW:'P289'
Upgrading FW:'AAA1'-'BDF1','P050'-'P269'. [154/154]
IRD Model: DP811

PID=08A4h Sat Jul 16 14:18:18 2005
Upgrading FW:'AAA1'-'BDF1','P050'-'P099','P280'-'P288'. [38/38]

PID=08AFh Sat Jul 16 14:18:41 2005
Upgrading FW:'AAA1'-'BDF1','P050'-'P099','P260'-'P288'. [16/16]

PID=08A2h Sat Jul 16 14:18:15 2005
Upgrading FW:'AAA1'-'BDF1','P050'-'P269'. [154/154]

The only problem that I have with the new software version is channel changing is a lot slower and not just a tad.

No Guide Info

Just got an 811. It has the P2.89 update. I have 2 issues:

1) When I bring up the Program Guide and press right (to view upcoming shows) all of the blocks display "No Info" and the preview window goes black. When I clear the guide the screen is also black! However if I view the guide again I get my display back.

2) I don't have any guide data for my local OTA channels (they're on 61.5 which I have).

Any suggestions?

sixone said:
Just got an 811. It has the P2.89 update. I have 2 issues:

1) When I bring up the Program Guide and press right (to view upcoming shows) all of the blocks display "No Info" and the preview window goes black. When I clear the guide the screen is also black! However if I view the guide again I get my display back.

2) I don't have any guide data for my local OTA channels (they're on 61.5 which I have).

Any suggestions?
1. Run a Check Switch to reset and confirm that your LNB's are all working.
2. If the 811 doesn't reset itself when you cancel out of the menus, pull the power cord and leave it unplugged for 30 seconds then plug it back in and leave the 811 alone for at least five minutes.

If that doesn't help, post back.

boy921 said:
1. Run a Check Switch to reset and confirm that your LNB's are all working.
2. If the 811 doesn't reset itself when you cancel out of the menus, pull the power cord and leave it unplugged for 30 seconds then plug it back in and leave the 811 alone for at least five minutes.

If that doesn't help, post back.

Thx, unplugging and then running Check Switch allowed me to see upcoming shows (Check Switch alone didn't). HOwever, I still don't get guide data for my OTA.

You do know the conditions for receiving an OTA guide right?

Dish has to be carrying the analog signals for the digital stations you're trying to get guide data for and you have to be able to see the satellite that those locals are on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)