Dish mounting/installation question

TimA

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Midwest
So I'm moving from cable to Dish with an installation scheduled for next weekend. It's my understanding that the dish they install will point generally south. However, my cable comes into the north side of the house on the east corner, and that's where I have patch panels for cable, phone, network, etc. My house faces west (and is situated pretty close to north/south) but a straight line pointing to the south from that northeast corner of my house passes through the house. Given that I need a direct line of sight to the south, my assumption is that I won't be able to install the dish on that northeast corner of the house and that it will need to go somewhere on the south side of the house.

All of that said, does anyone have any thoughts on the best placement for the dish? To bring it into the house where the cable comes in now, will they have to run coax the length of the back of my house? Could/would they bring it into my unfinished basement closer to the dish and then run it the length of the house on the inside? I'm just trying to get a feel now for what the installation might look like before they get here on Saturday. Appreciate any insights anyone might have. Thanks!

It really depends on line of sight on the property, but generally they will try to install it as close to the existing cable as possible.

They may even suggest a pole mount instead of wrapping the house in cable.

Its really hard to answer this question due to the number of variables that can come into play.
Here are just a few; LOS, esthetics, type of siding, type of roof,access to house (flower gardens bushes ect), number of receivers or hopper joeys, location of grounding point and cable demarcation, Is the current cable being used for cable internet? ,are your "locals" on east and western arcs? ,is installer willing/able to place a pole? and on and on and on

Cool site. It looks like western arc line-of-sight would pass directly through my house from that corner (unless mounted at the roof, which is essentially 3rd story height due to my sloping yard), but eastern arc is totally clear. After doing a little bit of searching here, it seems that my Kansas City location gives me some flexibility in choosing either arc, which would be sweet. Hope that's the case.

Thanks for the great feedback.

Its really hard to answer this question due to the number of variables that can come into play.
Here are just a few; LOS, esthetics, type of siding, type of roof,access to house (flower gardens bushes ect), number of receivers or hopper joeys, location of grounding point and cable demarcation, Is the current cable being used for cable internet? ,are your "locals" on east and western arcs? ,is installer willing/able to place a pole? and on and on and on

I know you're right... lots of factors that make it a tough question to answer. But I think I've got some great info now that has put my mind at ease on the mounting point options. We'll see what happens on Saturday.

Wow there are many different things that I have to bear in mind. I think I will list them all in order to see which things could be a problem. I have a big garden with lots of flowers and plants. I simply cannot stop ordering serenatas luxury flowers by post. I really hope that all my flowers and plants are not a problem for the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)