Dish Movement question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vtsullyman

Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Blacksburg VA
Guys i have a question.

When the installer came out last week the only place i could find with a clear view was on top on my carport, however sense its so old and shakey the installer said it would move to much to keep an HD signal. I asked about me placing a steel pipe in the ground and mounting it on that, and again he said that in the wind the pole would move to much. So exactly how much movement is ok for an HD direct tv dish? It would need to be about 12' high, so i was gonna sink a 2" sch 40 pole into concrete and have him mount it on that. I think th combination of the ground and the concrete will keep the base from moving, but im worried about the deflection of the pole.

Anyone ever seen or attempted a install like this? I was gonna do 5' deep, and 3' wide base with the pole all the way down to the bottom. Let me know what you guys thing.

Thanks,

Sully

I would worry about a 12' pole install. It's not so much how the pole is installed, but how much is above ground. I just had my AU9 put on a 3' pole and although the pole didn't move a lot it did vibrate. I believe wind on a dish mounted at 12' would move quite a bit. The HD sats are more susceptible to misalignment. Now you could put guy wires on the pole to help stabilize it. I actually used the monopoles on my pole to stiffen it.

Put the pole up next to the carport, and secure it to the carport someway.. Then it won't blow in the wind.

Done this a few time.. Just make sure the pole sticks up a foot or so above the carport and attached well

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)