KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
All new Dish Receivers say mpeg 2. Does anyone know or know what link I can go to, to find out mpeg2 what? I record a lot of stuff on my computer with my video capture card and I can record in different formats mpeg1, mpeg2, avi, etc. What is the Bit Rate for E*s Mpeg 2 ???

Yes Google is my favorite and search engine of choice and I've tried that route, I have found some stuff, but a lot mixed stuff nothing concrete.

ke4est said:
All new Dish Receivers say mpeg 2. Does anyone know or know what link I can go to, to find out mpeg2 what? I record a lot of stuff on my computer with my video capture card and I can record in different formats mpeg1, mpeg2, avi, etc. What is the Bit Rate for E*s Mpeg 2 ???
As noted, E* uses a variable bit rate format. It all depends on the action that needs the bits at that moment on that channel.

Also as noted, Dish gives more overhead to premium movie and PPV movie channels (about 25% more than a standard channel) and HD channels consume a lot more bandwidth than SD channels. The current compression fits about 12 channels of SD on a transponder (maximum), roughly 3.84 mbits each.

JL

Judging by the video resolution that I see, there is no way that the bitrate is 3.84 mbits on the SD channels. Either there is some additional overhead, or there are other things on those transponders.

What bitrate would you guess? There is some overhead, but the bits available allow for something close to 3.84m. The overhead includes the "browse" function's Present/Next EPG for all channels all birds and enough information to define and find all of the channels and transponders on all of the birds. Not really a lot of overhead.

JL

Unh. Doing the short math. 500MHz per transponder set hits the feed cable (950-1450MHz for the low band). 16 transponders into 500 yields about 30MHz per transponder. Some locals have 12 channels stuffed into that. Comes out to be about 2.5MHz per channel on average - but remember it's actually stat-muxed.

IIRC, OTA is 6MHz per channel.

SimpleSimon said:
Unh. Doing the short math. 500MHz per transponder set hits the feed cable (950-1450MHz for the low band). 16 transponders into 500 yields about 30MHz per transponder. Some locals have 12 channels stuffed into that. Comes out to be about 2.5MHz per channel on average - but remember it's actually stat-muxed.

IIRC, OTA is 6MHz per channel.
That would be great if we were talking in MHz ... but we're talking in Mbits. :D

6MHz OTA gives broadcasters about 19.36Mbits for HD and SD channels.
DBS transponders don't completely overlap, but with the current choices of symbol rate and FEC each one gives E* about 46MBps for SD channels. That is about 3.84Mbps per channel. (HD TPs operate at a higher bit rate.)

BTW: Transponders on 32 TP satellites are generally 27MHz each. ATSC OTA can have 4-6 SD feeds per 6MHz channel which with your math would be 1 to 1.5MHz per channel. So satellite is consuming more MHz per channel than OTA. (And even at 3 HDs per 27MHz transponder E* uses more MHz per channel than OTA.) Not that the MHz is important ... rely on the Mbits.

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)