How to output 2 different channels (PIP) from a single receiver like the 921?

SummitAdvantageRetailer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2004
East Coast
Hi guys. Another "problem" I have. I have a customer who has a Sony TV that has Twin PIP. The question is, which DISH Network receiver besides the 522 and 322, can you output two different channels from the same receiver. Can the 721 or the 921 output different channels from say, component output and the composite output? If so, how do you enable that functionality? From my experience, the 921 and 721 is designed for 1 TV use with dual-tuner capability for playback/recording only. It's not designed to output two tuners on different audio/video outputs.

So in essence, the only receiver that can do this is the 522 right? The 322 will require 2 remotes to change channels on both tuners. Or, worse comes to worst, have a 811 and a 311 on the same TV again requiring 2 remotes but also 2 receiver charges. What do you guys think we should do? Thanks!

The 522, 921, and 721 have PIP built in. You don't need to use the TV's PIP function at all. Actually, it would be a huge hassle to use the TV's PIP. I have a 522 and the PIP on my TV sits unused.

Thanks. I forgot to add exactly why he wants PIP on his TV and not on his receiver. He wants to use Twin PIP on his Sony TV to watch two different DISH channels side-by-side. It's actually pretty cool to be able to watch 2 different DISH channels side by side. Say, the wife gets to watch her soaps on the left half of the TV while I can watch a football game on the right half of the TV.

I don't think DISH's PIP allows that possibility. What receiver would be best if he wants to use PIP on his TV with 2 different DISH signals? Thanks.

The ONLY two output receivers are the 322 and 522, you would need to use TWO of any other receiver model.

Yeah, Kevin's right, and it's a crying shame that E* boxes can't do the really, really, cool side-by-side PiP.

It'd be even cooler if they would mix the audio so that Left speaker was Left PiP, and Right was Right (well, Right is always Right. Right? :p ).

It's not too pain full for me, I have a 508 and a 301 hooked to my Toshiba split screen. I'll watch one side - the girly friend watches the other side. If I want to change audio on the show I either swap PIP sides or use the Bose audio. Works for me.

With my 522 and 721 I connect up one output of the 522 through the front inputs on the 721. This allows me to view the 522 by pressing channel 0 on the 721 without having to change the signal/channel input on my television. I can go into the PIP mode and just hit swap to change between the 522 and the 721. I wish the 522 would had the front inputs as well. I'm guessing that the 942 and 625 will also not have the front inputs either (which will probably be obsolete soon anyways).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts