Dish Name Based Recording DVR Software Update

lancer123

Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
Hello,

I am thinking about moving from Directv to Dish Network because its more affordable for me to get HDTV equipment. Before I do this, I want to wait for the Name Based Recording DVR update to occur. Does anybody have any information when this is going to occur? Will this update make the Dish DVR close to Tivo functions? I currently have a tivo through Directv.

Thanks,

Lance

lancer123 said:
Hello,

I am thinking about moving from Directv to Dish Network because its more affordable for me to get HDTV equipment. Before I do this, I want to wait for the Name Based Recording DVR update to occur. Does anybody have any information when this is going to occur? Will this update make the Dish DVR close to Tivo functions? I currently have a tivo through Directv.

Thanks,

Lance
Historically DISH announces plans then delays and delays and delays. Expect name based in 2005, until it is released nobody know how similar it will be to TiVo but don't hold your breath. Read the forum reports on DISH HDTV receivers and decide if you really want them. Directv receivers may cost more but you will get your money worth. :) :) :)

As Boba has said, No one has gotten to see the full functionality of NBR on Dish recievers and how well it will be integrated. Boba is also correct that Dish tends to announce features and that time give time estimates. Not very good ones and then people tend to get all upset when these estimates are not meet. D* on the other end or more conservative with announcements and tend to get knocked for not letting there customers know what is coming down the pipe. I am sure E* would get knocked if they suddenly stopped info from releasing. But that is another story.

From my understanding, the 522 will be the first with NBR. I am not sure when the 921 is sheduled to have it. The 921 is the HD PVR. There is a 942 that is planned for release. The 921 is based on the 721 code base and the 942 is based off the 522 code base.

There is a Tech chat tonight. I suggest you read the transrcripts or joing the chat. They are usually a waste, but there is usually one or two nuggets of info that might be useful.

As to NBR being out in 2005, well that is Bob's estimate. Time will tell if he is correct. My guess is the 522 will see it before the end of the year.

This is correct, it now appears the only DVR to get NBR this year is the 522. (This was announced on a recent Retailer Charlie Chat.

However tonight is a tech chat so we may hear something different.

If you cant watch the chat be sure to join us in our Chat Room at http://chat.satelliteguys.us and we will keep you updated (you could even win a prize) :D

GaryPen said:
But, do you honestly think the first few iterations will work correctly? C'mon. Be honest.

Nope, I expect bugs and what would some be considered odd behavior.. I also expect possible some missed recordings due to user error or software defects. This is a paradigm shift for the Dish developers and it touches a lot of areas. The Dish developers don't have a lot of expertise in this area so to not expect some issues based on past experience would be short sighted.

I also expect some posts stating "that is the last straw I am jumping to D* because they have a DVR that works PERFECTLY" and a few "This is the biggest POS ever" threads and maybe even a few "Kudos to Dish" posts.

Since this functionality is being released on the 522, hopefully those guys will iron out the big uglies and use 721,508, 921, 542 users will just have the pleasure of the little small annoyances. Well ofcourse that would depend on the 522 group doing the major development with the other groups porting the code. Not sure if this is the case and from my guess communication between the groups is poor at best. By the way... poor communication between development groups if very common in the software world.

I wish that all the Chats would become Tech chats for like 45 minutes and add 15 minutes of Charlie and Jim telling us the newest local cities added . They could also show us the new upgrades to new receivers we might want . This would be much more productive and it would give us the most up to date information on the software updates.

I really hate watching a normal Charlie chat with the mystery guest of the month. It is usually nothing but an infomercial for Dish. Hello ,we already have dish we need to know when the bugs are going to be worked out on the wonderful dish receivers we already have. This might also go to quell some of the disatisfaction felt on these web boards as well. We could at least feel that we are getting the most up to date information. It has been two months since the last tech chat and the supposed name based recording schedule for the dvrs has now changed. I would have liked to know when it changed and why last month.

If they can't do this then why don't they have a monthly tech chat seperate from the Charlie chat on the last Monday in the month and let Charlie have the 2nd Monday in the month. Just imagine David Cummer every month live in your living room!! :D

MikeD-C05 said:
I wish that all the Chats would become Tech chats for like 45 minutes and add 15 minutes of Charlie and Jim telling us the newest local cities added .
What about credit card autopay? I really need to know how to sign up for that each and every month!

Reedl

reedl said:
What about credit card autopay? I really need to know how to sign up for that each and every month!

Reedl

Oh how could I be so stupid!! OF course we need to have an hour long show each month dedicated to nothing but Credit Card Auto Pay. :cool:

boba said:
Historically DISH announces plans then delays and delays and delays. Expect name based in 2005, until it is released nobody know how similar it will be to TiVo but don't hold your breath. Read the forum reports on DISH HDTV receivers and decide if you really want them. Directv receivers may cost more but you will get your money worth. :) :) :)
tonites (8/9/2004) tech chat said NBR is beginning of the year for the 522 and 721.

we'll see.

LER

If you are going to DISH for HD I would recommend trying to get a 6000u with the OTA Tuner card. I am a former DISH sub who switched to Directv. I had the 6000u and kicked myself for selling it for an 811 that was nothing but junk for me.

The 522 will get it first because they want to attract people to the lease promotion and give them the most benefits (at least at first). Its also one of their newer DVR receivers. I wonder if the 942 will have the NBR in its factory software when it is released.

Neutron said:
If you are going to DISH for HD I would recommend trying to get a 6000u with the OTA Tuner card. I am a former DISH sub who switched to Directv. I had the 6000u and kicked myself for selling it for an 811 that was nothing but junk for me.

And when was that Neutron? What rev? My personal opinion and I had the 6000 for 2 years and the 811 since December is to go with an 811. The 6000 maybe a bit more stable (Read as end of software enhancement life), but is sluggish and lacks a lot of features the 811 has. With 2.69 the 811 is a much better box. Yes it still has some annoying bugs, but it is night and day compared to what it looked like 6 months back.

Like everything Dish puts out, it takes time to mature. The 811 is still maturing , but it has a future. The 6000 is locked in time and the benefits at this point don't outway the limitations in my opinion.

I didn't get to watch the show but was non the chat. I got the impression that NBR would release first on the 942. This does not make sense to me to release a feature like this on something that might be delayed. Did anyone here this that watch the show?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)