Dish needed for Tailgate

rockcola

Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Lehigh Valley, PA
Ok, so my head is spinning from all the different dishes and satellite locations. Im a dish network subscriber and want to set up one of my recievers at a tailgate. I really only need ESPN HD and maybe locals (although I can use OTA antenna for HDs if needed) Im going to use a VIP 211 receiver. Whats the simplest dish I can buy for setup. Will a Dish 300 work for ESPN HD and my VIP211 reciever? HD is a requirement, but I want it to be as simple and cheap as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I took a look at the Channel List and it seems ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD are also on the 129 location. I see you're in Ohio, so your locals are on 129 too so you could point there and get both. 129 will be harder to find than 119 or 110 since it's a weaker signal, so you may be ahead to go with 110 and use OTA for locals.

I'll take a wild guess that you'll be tailgating at the Buckeye game this Saturday... I'll be there myself!

Channel List:
SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 129°W

Call some of your local dealers for a used dish. I bet some are throwing away a lot of dishes and maybe you can get one for free, without an lnb. Buy it. I got two dish 300s in my shop, with lnbs.

Yes, Planning an Ohio State tailgate but not this weekend, next for the USC game. So after research I was planning on only hitting 129 with a single LNB, but now you have me worried that 129 may be harder to hit.

I have someone giving me an order DirecTV dish. (round not oval) I think I read that I can use a dishnetwork LNB in it, or maybe it will even be compatable. Is that true?

I have also found a dish 500 locally for $35 with LNBs. I was just thinking it may be easier to set up a single LNB 300 system.

What do you guys think? Just looking for the simplest setup for ESPN HD.

Big Thanks for the help

The old round Directv dish will work fine with the Directv lnb and 129 is easy to find since they launched the new bird. Just make sure to use TP 17 and up to aim.

dish500 is very easy to align with whatever you need. It's a bit larger than the old directv dish and will make aiming a bit easier too. Dishes can be found on craigslist for nothing or next to nothing..

Ok so I got an older DirecTV dish and was able to find 110 pretty easy. But I cannot find 129 at all. I searched for quite awhile.

Also on my receiver when I put in my zipcode; dish 300; and 129 on the dish pointing screen, it doesn't give me an angle or elevation. Do I need to do something to my receiver to find 129?

Thanks,
Rocky

Thinking about my own tailgates later this season and I've got a few questions...

I have a Dish 500 and want to catch locals and ESPN and ESPN2. I also have a Dish 1000 (pretty sure it's not a plus or .2, etc, how can I tell?)

The locals in the area on 61.5... probably no luck on the OTA option. What is my best bet? Shooting for the Eastern Arc ones (72, 77, etc) or trying for 129? No requirement for HD...

Will the dishes I have work? I'd really like to go with one dish if possible. (I'm moving to the NYC area from Texas and have to pull these dishes off the roof.)

The tailgate will be in West Point, NY and my account will include the NYC locals. Thanks for the help.