Dish Network 2008 CES Press Conference Discussion

The other thread mentioned a "price freeze."

They are raising the prices now, then "freezing" them for a year until they raise them again next February?

Did they really say something like this?

They sure did. I really needed the laugh. I can't believe they actually said that. "We're enacting a price freeze until our next scheduled price increase." essentially. Classic.

They sure did. I really needed the laugh. I can't believe they actually said that. "We're enacting a price freeze until our next scheduled price increase." essentially. Classic.

The price freeze is for the DVR Advantage packages, the same price for 2008 as in 2007, what part do people not understand it?

The 3 new sats to be launched are AMC-14, E11 and Ciel-2. AMC-14 is going to 61.5 (as was recently reported on SatGuys), E11 to 110 and Ciel-2 to 129.
Has anyone heard which order they plan to launch these satellites? I know it is one per quarter, but haven't heard which order. (I can't wait for them to dump the current piece of junk at 129!)

I wonder if the new OTA DVR will have a monthly subscription attached to it???

I've read elsewhere that both products will use TVGOS the free ad supported gemstar guide. Its easier to support because all the guide data can be downloaded from a single channel, usually PBS.

The interesting thing to me was that they are planning to sell the TR-40 at a loss, doesn't make any sense to me.

Looks like Norfolk might be on the 100 locals picture. Hard to tell since Richmond is so close.

ya, that's why I was asking earlier if it was the same map that came out during the charlie chat a month or so ago... b/c the pic on the ces forum page is very hard to see... the charlie chat map was easier to read, and it didn't look like there was a spot anywhere near Norfolk.

*checked the charlie chat hd locals picture on 12/7. it's definitely different than this picture. That could be a green dot over norfolk. who knows. would be nice if they actually released all of the names, but that's been a complaint from everyone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb
...The interesting thing to me was that they are planning to sell the TR-40 at a loss, doesn't make any sense to me.
That is BS and we know it:)

Maybe not-- does it give them capability to showcase and get information (i.e. advertising" to the large section of America that does not have SAT service??

I've read elsewhere that both products will use TVGOS the free ad supported gemstar guide. Its easier to support because all the guide data can be downloaded from a single channel, usually PBS.

The interesting thing to me was that they are planning to sell the TR-40 at a loss, doesn't make any sense to me.

Heck, I buy one of those (TR-50 DVR) if there's no monthly fee, just to get the DVR, even though I don't really need it.:D

Last edited:
Spotbeams baby! Re-usable bandwidth.

I'm not quite up to speed on how all that works with new sats and spot beams.

Does that mean they replace the current sats with the same capacity + spot beams or do these new birds run along side the old(current birds)?

When you use a transponder for locals and feed it to the entire US it is really a waste since only one area can use it.

Imagine if you had 4 or 5 uplink centers across the US. Send up 5 DMA locals on that same frequency and back down on 5 spotbeams across the US instead of one big CONUS beam. Now you have 5 DMA's of locals in the place of where you had 1 before.

Do some googling on Echostar X... an excellent spotbeam satellite.

In 61.5's place, AMC-14 will slide over and cover the national HD. They will turn off the other TP's not needed on AMC-14 that Echostar12 is handling for spotbeams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)