Dish Network and 72.5 Signal

alebowgm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Greetings all,

Before I get started, YES I know DirecTV has 16 TPs over at 72.5, however a thread over at DBSTalk noted that there is a new TID range that appears to potentially be for that orbital location. Moreover, over at the EKB it reports that there may in fact be a single uplink to a TP over there. Heck, 72 is now showing for some in the Installation menu as an option according to JLong. So, simply I am asking someone with a motorized dish, or who has a dish they can repoint, is there any active DBS (not DSS, which is DirecTV) signal over there right now? Also, Digi, maybe its something you can start to monitor?

I looked at it with the Broadlogic Spectrum Analyzer. There are DSS signals on all even transponders except transponder 4 which is empty. There are no signals on odd transponders because Directv 1R doesn't have any. It only has 16 transponders.

Darn, was hoping for some good news since there were a few drop hints all over the place. I guess it is just a 'virtual' uplink and Dish getting the TID ready for when they eventually do get some capacity over there.

On a side note, which probably has an answer in the DirecTV forum, why only 16TPs on DTV1R? Is that the design, or is it cause its about to be deorbited and they are conserving power? Also, why no TP4?

Dish signal is coming from tp 1 at 72.7° (not 72.5°) I have no idea what satellite it is. :)

This is going to get confusing because there are THREE different locations at 72°. 72.2°, 72.5° and 72.7°.

I am not certain which is which when it comes to spectrum. I know 72.7° is DBS. :)

See ya
Tony

There's nothing at 72.7W yet. Directv 1R is at 72.5W and Nahuel 1 and AMC6 are at 72.0W (according to Lyngsat). If there are DSS signals on TP1, more likely they're coming from 72.5W

Here are the BLSA scans.

Attachments

• Directv 1R L.jpg
    Directv 1R L.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 266
  • Directv 1R R.jpg
    Directv 1R R.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 239
Perhaps Dish is preparing to move a satellite to 72.7... The only one free at this time is E6, but they applied to move it to 77 for testing. With the loss of AMC-14 perhaps they felt instead of testing, put it to use at 72.X area until they get the space they leased on NIMIQ 5.

Dish signed an agreement with TeleSat, owner of the 72.5 orbital slot, to lease 16 transponders on TeleSat's Nimiq 5 satellite scheduled to be launched in 2009. DirecTV has a lease there currently until 9/30/08, however, they have the possibility to park a satellite there until TeleSat launches one up there or until 2013. Once 9/30/08 passes, I imagine DirecTV won't be transmitting from that location anymore. However, they might not want to burn fuel and move the bird elsewhere until they have some use for it elsewhere. If that's the case, they may just leave the bird there for the time being. That would mean that Nimiq 5 would have to be far enough away to avoid collision with DirecTV's bird, hence 72.7. That might also explain why DISH hasn't labeled 72 in their list as being 72.5 or 72.7, they may just not know yet what DirecTV plans to do with the parking spot after September.

"That might also explain why DISH hasn't labeled 72 in their list as being 72.5 or 72.7,"

According to the NIT info it's labeled 72.7W. It's just the receivers showing "72.".