dish network and cable broadband in the same room

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rprice54

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
I have time warner high speed cable intenet. I also just changed over to dish network, but now, in my offce, I can only have one- internet or satellite (set up as TV2). I was told I could have both in the same room by dish network- the install guy just said "I don't know why it's not working"

If I leave the connections set up the way the dish network guy did it, I can get TV. But to get internet I have to go out to the box and basically disconnect all the satellite connections from that room and hook the internet back up the way it was before.

Any tips? I may just have to get a wireless connection for my pc...

It might be an issue with the frequency that the cable modem uses for data. You can just run a new RG6 connection over to the office if you'd like, but wireless would probably be easiest.

Are you using a diplexer to combine the two cable feeds at one end, and another diplexer to split them at the other end?

If wired correcrly, this should work, even with cable internet service, since that service uses low-band freqs.

The problem is that Cable Internet uses the low frequencies and TV2 is also in the same lower frequencies. I would change the TV2 output channel and see if that helps. Hopefully you'll find a channel that doesn't interfere with the Cable Broadband frequencies.

Can you get into the cable modem's diagnostics page? I can by going to 192.168.100.1 and on mine it displays the frequencies being used. 705 Mhz for download and 24 Mhz for upload.

thanks for the replies.

Yes, originally there was a diplexer with the cable company feed (internet) on the "SAT" side and the signal from the satellite tuner on the "VHF" side and then the "in/out" side went off to the room where another diplexer was located- the wall went to the 2nd diplexer "in/out", the cable modem was connected to "SAT" and the TV was connected to "VHF". The tuner (625) was using an AIR broadcast to channel 60- the installation guy said that gave the best reception in this setup.

I will reconnect everything and see if changing the channels works...

Attachments

• 07-17-06_1625.jpg
    07-17-06_1625.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
I too would recommend setting the receiver to broadcast in CABLE on a channels above 69. I use channel 73 also and have no problems with Charter HSI and sat signals on my setup.

The TV channel being used by the TV2 output should NOT be an issue.

A standard diplexer will NOT pass the cable internet frequencies on the SAT side.
SAT is 950-2150MHz (or higher). "TV" is below 950 (but some diplexers will NOT handle the very low (40MHz) range that some cable internet systems use.

Rule of thumb: Do NOT try to share a feed between cable internet and ANY part of a satellite system (there's more reasons than I've mentioned.

Run a NEW RG-6 from the cable tap to the cable modem, or move the cable modem to a better place to hit the tap, and add a Wireless Router, or other Ethernet stuff (depending on your setup).

so I need a diplexer that will send the VHF/UHF TV2 signal from my satellite tuner as well as the broadband frequency to the office?

I don't see where the problem would be, my satellite tuner would never see the internet signal- my understanding is that the TV2 feed is just a backfeed and wouldn't be any difference than the cable signal that used to run through the cable in the house.

It could be done with a pair of combiners or splitters but it's against FCC rules, because the TV2 signal could backfeed into the Cable system. Running a new cable is the ideal solution.

If a new cable is not possible, place your cable modem at the drop just inside the house, add a wireless router and wireless card(s) for the PC(s).

I have a similar problem. Due to the way the wiring is laid out, i really cannot pull another cable. This is what i need to set up and i cannot get it right in my head as to how i would do it.

Attachments

• DigitalCable.bmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
The most reliable way would be to extend the cable tv drop just inside the house. At that point place your cable modem and wireless router there. Install wireless cards in the PC's. You will have to connect the router directly to the PC via ethernet for 1 time to configure. Then you should be good to go after that via wireless. I suggest the Linksys WRT54G, about $59 from Wal-Mart and a PCI wireless card for desktop PC's and PCMCIA for laptops if they don't have built in. USB wireless cards are still a little flaky. This type of setup can be done for under $100. Make sure you go to the linksys site and update the router firmware.

sprintcarcrazy said:
Make sure you go to the linksys site and update the router firmware.
Or better yet, go get a 3rd party linksys firmware for the WRT models (check the serial numbers on the models first to the website) and get features on the WRT router that are normally found on much more expensive ones. I know many people that use the 3rd party stuff and love it, absolutely love it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrt-54g

Remember, check the page for proper serial numbers to look for, don't buy the latest revision out there etc...

We never try to combine satellite signal and cable internet on the same line. It just doesn't work well and create trouble calls if and when the customer has problems with their internet and the cable company blame it on the diplexor(s). In fact, I've never been able to combine satellite and cable internet or digital cable with satellite signals on one cable using a diplexor. I'm using PerfectVision's single power and dual port power passing diplexors but they never can combine cable internet or digital cable signals with satellite signals around here: Comcast and Cox cable companies.

I'd call E* and explain that the installer shared your cable broadband line with thier "backfeed" signal.

That should have never been done. Ever.

They should send a technician to run a hardline backfeed for your TV2.

I can verify that I have a setup in my house with no issues where I feed cable into a splitter/combiner (down to 5mhz) and the TV2 feed (from a 622) into the other input then the output from that to a diplexor with satellite and reverse it on the other side and it works fine.
I have tv2 on CABLE channel 73 and my cable tv (2-24, plus some high end bleed thru from 75-99) service is basic lifeline and HSI. My sat receiver on the other end is only a single tuner however, I could not get a dual tuner to work with a seperator from my DPP44

Last edited:
"I could not get a dual tuner to work with a seperator from my DPP44"

Did you have the dual tuner in Port 1? If you want to use diplexers with the DPP44 in Port 1, you need the high current pass diplexers from Holland (blue).

I have my HSI (Comcast) and the feed from a DPP44 (port 3) to a 625 using a separator and diplexers. No issues at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)