Dish Network and Netflix

But that's just it. Most people don't have HTPCs or Google TV. Members on this forum aren't representative of the general public with regards to these things. I think overall a smartphone app would be useful to more people than wireless keyboard support.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Of course most people don't have those things. And, even if they did, the keyboard would be tied to that device.

My point, that you obviously missed, is quite simple: When you have no devices in the LR that require a keyboard, you don't have a keyboard in the LR. When you have a device in the LR that uses a keyboard, you do have a keyboard in the LR. If the Hopper was able to use a keyboard, a lot of people would get keyboards for their Hopper. Better yet, it could come with one, or have it offered as an affordable add-on, like the Sling adapter, Wi-Fi dongle, or OTA tuner. (The first twoo moot with the new HWS.)

They were previewing a remote with built-in keypad, for a while. But, I thought they were trying to do to much with it. All they need is to add a keypad to the standard remote, or come up with something like the link I provided earlier - a 3/4 size KB with mouse functionality. If they added some standard remote buttons, like guide, channel, volume, transport, even better.

Of course most people don't have those things. And, even if they did, the keyboard would be tied to that device.

My point, that you obviously missed, is quite simple: When you have no devices in the LR that require a keyboard, you don't have a keyboard in the LR. When you have a device in the LR that uses a keyboard, you do have a keyboard in the LR. If the Hopper was able to use a keyboard, a lot of people would get keyboards for their Hopper. Better yet, it could come with one, or have it offered as an affordable add-on, like the Sling adapter, Wi-Fi dongle, or OTA tuner. (The first twoo moot with the new HWS.)

They were previewing a remote with built-in keypad, for a while. But, I thought they were trying to do to much with it. All they need is to add a keypad to the standard remote, or come up with something like the link I provided earlier - a 3/4 size KB with mouse functionality. If they added some standard remote buttons, like guide, channel, volume, transport, even better.

I didn't miss your point. I'm just not convinced that people would (in significant numbers) go out and buy keyboards to use with their Hoppers. If Dish has limited resources, they'd probably serve more people if they focused on smart phone apps. The demo remote they showed about 12 months ago (I think that's the timeframe) would probably work as well. It just doesn't seem like full sized keyboard have been able to catch on as related to TV viewing. If they can do all options, I think they should. Giving consumers more options is always a plus if you're looking to keep them happy.

There is no reason to buy a keyboard when you have smart phones and tablets everywhere. There would be a few who would buy keyboards but not many.
That's nice that you have smartphones and tablets everywhere. I don't. My smartphone usually goes on the charger when I get home. And, my tablet usually lives in the bedroom. My wife's two devices don't count, as she would never put such apps on them, being a wife and stuff.

That's nice that you have smartphones and tablets everywhere. I don't. My smartphone usually goes on the charger when I get home. And, my tablet usually lives in the bedroom. My wife's two devices don't count, as she would never put such apps on them, being a wife and stuff.

It's nice that you're stating your preference given your personal habits. But we were discussing people overall, not ourselves personally.

Edit: I take the criticism back. I wasn't reading close enough to notice that it was a direct response to a statement that they are everywhere.

Last edited:
Netflix: the least used or useful of my running experiments along with Amazon and Hulu Plus. Oh, and Netflix easily the worst PQ of the three, and yes, I have 30mbs downstream and Netflix's current implementation of Super HD is pathetic. However, really surprised at how much good NON-broadcast TV content Hulu Plus has, and they have co-produced some of my favorite BBC comedies that are Exclusive to Hulu Plus from some time before wide release. Amazon is a surprising 2nd place for my tastes, needs and budget because too much content is NOT Prime but rather the legacy purchase or rent. But I highly anticipate Netflix getting canceled at the end of my OTT experiment while Amazon and Hulu Plus are kept.

Netflix: the least used or useful of my running experiments along with Amazon and Hulu Plus. Oh, and Netflix easily the worst PQ of the three, and yes, I have 30mbs downstream and Netflix's current implementation of Super HD is pathetic. However, really surprised at how much good NON-broadcast TV content Hulu Plus has, and they have co-produced some of my favorite BBC comedies that are Exclusive to Hulu Plus from some time before wide release. Amazon is a surprising 2nd place for my tastes, needs and budget because too much content is NOT Prime but rather the legacy purchase or rent. But I highly anticipate Netflix getting canceled at the end of my OTT experiment while Amazon and Hulu Plus are kept.
I use Hulu the least of the three, or perhaps tied for 2nd with Amazon. I absolutely hate the fact that Hulu has commercials. I find it offensive, as it is a pay service. But, they do have closed captions, which Amazon does not. So, I often find myself using Hulu over Amazon for the same programming, when watching with my wife. However, if Netflix has that programming, I go with that. It has the best and fastest interface of the three. And, I have no issue with PQ.

The above experience is with the Roku, which I find to have the best overall performance for the three apps vs Logitech Revue and/or Panasonic Viera Connect on my TV's or BDP's.

I use Hulu the least of the three, or perhaps tied for 2nd with Amazon. I absolutely hate the fact that Hulu has commercials. I find it offensive, as it is a pay service. But, they do have closed captions, which Amazon does not. So, I often find myself using Hulu over Amazon for the same programming, when watching with my wife. However, if Netflix has that programming, I go with that. It has the best and fastest interface of the three. And, I have no issue with PQ.

The above experience is with the Roku, which I find to have the best overall performance for the three apps vs Logitech Revue and/or Panasonic Viera Connect on my TV's or BDP's.

Yes, it does seem a point of taste and preferences when it comes to which OTT service fits. My aunt is a Netflix fan as she hasn't seen all the old stuff that make up the bulk of Netflix streaming content. Meanwhile, my taste of new, good quality, sometimes offbeat content are far better represented on Amazon and HuluPlus. Oh, yes, I can't stand the commercials for the monthly rate, but HuluPlus has some great content not found on any other OTT, at least for a great while before wide release. I've already stated my displeasure with Amazon's mix of Prime and PAY content. Netflix has the best model: one flat rate with no commercials, but it is the farthest from meeting my entertainment needs, so, for me, that would be money thrown down the drain.

YES! The CC issue is a PITA. I do wish the OTT folks would really accelerate the adoption of CC. Funny, I find that none of the OTT services are better or worse when it comes to CC. The same content may have CC on one OTT, but not the other, while another has CC on the competitor's but not the other. It is a complete crap shoot, and I'm sure we are all trying to not HAVE to subscribe to ALL the major OTT's, but from my experience, it sure looks like that seems to be the only way to watch what we want as one service has the rights to a show, but not the other.

I do use the Roku 2 XD, and Netflix is ALWAYS the greatly inferior PQ for the same content, while Amazon and HuluPlus provide good HD for online streaming.

I think that Charlie would be very smart in approaching Netflix with a deal to include their subscription service with every dish network sub- Charlie could give Netflix access to all the blockbuster stuff/content/storage and Charlie could make the hopper the most kick a$$ streaming internet box on the market. Imagine being able to use the dvr on a sling loaded hopper to download a movie from Netflix then send it to your ipad to view on the road without using your wireless data plan. I think it would be an awesome match. Talk about a sticky dish customer. If the hopper had kick butt Netflix integration it would be that much harder to get somebody to switch to another provider. Then you could add the search feature from the google tv box and you would be set- Chrome integration....
Leave Netflix alone! they are happy doing what they do. There is no upside to Dish being involved with Netflix.

while I only have 6Mb DSL, I can't tell the difference between the HD offerings from the big 3 in streaming PQ. VUDU, OTOH, has much better HD PQ than all the others imo. My ISP doesn't support Netflix's SuperHD, so maybe that is the difference.

I find all 3 to have plenty of interesting things to watch and use all 3 almost every day.

HuluPlus for some of the excellent exclusives they have as you noted, as well as being able to see the CW series in HD. But their offerings of some older stuff are really odd. Some will have a slew of episodes while others may be only one season or even just a very few episodes. And of course, the ads. How irritating!

Netflix has the overall best selection for my viewing tastes, especially filling in early seasons of current shows. And seems to have a wider selection of movies, though many of them are very old, but them so am I! :)

Amazon just fills in where HuluPlus and Netflix don't quite have what I'm looking for.

I watch Netflix and HuluPlus via my AppleTV, and Amazon via my BluRay player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts