Dish Network and Netflix

I think the majority of you are missing the opportunity for Dish to keep the viewer in their ecosystem. By allowing a Netflix app on the hopper, dish is able to retain more of its subscribers. We all know that Netflix doesn't directly replace a lot of the content found on cable/sat tv, but if Dish could allow a Netflix app to interact with the hopper, it's a win win for everyone. If you think about it, you can access pandora from the hopper, which using some of you guy's logic would be competing with the other music channels. The bottom line is that most people have several ways to view Netflix in their homes, but as of current, all require the viewer to leave Dish's receiver. If you don't believe me in the importance of creating an ecosystem, then look at what Apple has accomplished.

I know they were looking at working with Hulu before, in fact last year I met with Charlie and then Hulu CEO Jason Kilar who told me a deal could be in the works if it makes financial sense to both companies.

DISH is realizing for the best user experience then you need to have a box which can do it all. The Hopper is close, with its DLNA features, Pandora and expanding app layout, you might never want to change your HDMI inputs on your TV again.

I also think that DISH understands that people are going to use Netflix, might as well make it convenient for them to watch which in turn gives a better DISH experience.

There is more talk with the Wall Street crowd that Apple may consider buying Netflix outright. The current Netflix stock surge is based in part on that rumor, i.e. built into the stock price. But as far as Dish is concerned, I agree with Scott that Netflix app will likely appear soon. Only benefit to Netflix is the additional sub income but for Dish, they really do need to add all the IPTV apps to their DVR's. Hulu, YouTube, Amazon, Vimeo, Vudu, etc. If Dish wants to stay in the game for the long haul, they need to greatly expand their internet media apps to also include itunes and Apple Airplay.

I don't like the hulu idea because honestly I don't know anybody that pays for hulu but I know lots of people that pay for Netflix. You want to focus on the pay tier of people not the free tier. Amazon might be a good partner but Netflix would be awesome.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I pay for Hulu. I think I've paid for 2 months of subscription over the last year. :) I will watch stuff on a weekend, put the account on pause for a few weeks, and then rinse/repeat. Works great.

I do something similar with both Hulu Plus and Netflix and would do it with Amazon if they had a monthly. Then I do some marathon watching of shows for awhile before suspending.

But unlike some in this thread, I don't actually care or even want that ability from the Hopper as it works just fine as it is with my AppleTV and BluRay player.

The point is to get people hooked on the hopper in order to make them think three or four times before switching.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The point is to get people hooked on the hopper in order to make them think three or four times before switching.
The Hopper could be just one of potentially four home devices...Hopper, Roku (or the like) BD player and Smart TV. So being "hooked" or bound to a Hopper because of Netflix is unlikely on a wide scale.

I think the majority of you are missing the opportunity for Dish to keep the viewer in their ecosystem. By allowing a Netflix app on the hopper, dish is able to retain more of its subscribers. We all know that Netflix doesn't directly replace a lot of the content found on cable/sat tv, but if Dish could allow a Netflix app to interact with the hopper, it's a win win for everyone. If you think about it, you can access pandora from the hopper, which using some of you guy's logic would be competing with the other music channels. The bottom line is that most people have several ways to view Netflix in their homes, but as of current, all require the viewer to leave Dish's receiver. If you don't believe me in the importance of creating an ecosystem, then look at what Apple has accomplished.
Apple doesn't count because that is a cult. Jobs figured out how to make people pay 1.5x for something that other people would normally pay 1x for.

The problem with making the Hopper part of an ecosystem is they would need to add everything. Now if they merged the Roku with the Hopper, that would be doing just that. Right now, the Roku is the only device that has a ton of apps. Most blu-ray, tv's, etc... have limited and locked options (or worse, if you update to gain a new available option, an older one could break and become useless). On the other hand, why would Dish want to have the whole Roku experience available. Premium sport subscriptions would mean they would lose whatever revenue they could have from that. Why pay 10%+ more for a product that you can buy otherwise?

It should be noted that the OP isn't talking about making an App available, but giving away Netflix.

Thanks for making my point.
However, your point is rather transparent as I haven't found much more content on either Amazon Instant or Netflix to get past the 30 day free trial either, which is why I haven't kept them. Hulu at least has episodes of shows available the next day (or within a few days) that keeps me coming back. Amazon and Netflix added content is few and far between (like adding a season at a time after the season is over), or it is pay per view.

Apple doesn't count because that is a cult. Jobs figured out how to make people pay 1.5x for something that other people would normally pay 1x for.

The problem with making the Hopper part of an ecosystem is they would need to add everything. Now if they merged the Roku with the Hopper, that would be doing just that. Right now, the Roku is the only device that has a ton of apps. Most blu-ray, tv's, etc... have limited and locked options (or worse, if you update to gain a new available option, an older one could break and become useless). On the other hand, why would Dish want to have the whole Roku experience available. Premium sport subscriptions would mean they would lose whatever revenue they could have from that. Why pay 10%+ more for a product that you can buy otherwise?

It should be noted that the OP isn't talking about making an App available, but giving away Netflix.

Not giving away Netflix, reselling it or offering it bundled with their services.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Not giving away Netflix, reselling it or offering it bundled with their services.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Just like with telcos and internet, I certainly would not bundle Netflix with Dish..

I know they were looking at working with Hulu before, in fact last year I met with Charlie and then Hulu CEO Jason Kilar who told me a deal could be in the works if it makes financial sense to both companies.
Hulu is a horse of a different color. It provides on-demand replay of programming that Dish already provides. In fact, Hulu is where much of the on-demand available on Dish Online/Anywhere originates from.
I also think that DISH understands that people are going to use Netflix, might as well make it convenient for them to watch which in turn gives a better DISH experience.
They don't even see the need of making OTA convenient by providing EPG information for local channels not already carried on satellite.

However, your point is rather transparent as I haven't found much more content on either Amazon Instant or Netflix to get past the 30 day free trial either, which is why I haven't kept them. Hulu at least has episodes of shows available the next day (or within a few days) that keeps me coming back. Amazon and Netflix added content is few and far between (like adding a season at a time after the season is over), or it is pay per view.
Personally, I find the opposite to be true for me:
-There is plenty of content available on Netflix, not available from Dish or OTA, making it worth the $8 for me.
-Hulu's content, otoh, is mostly already available from Dish/OTA. I merely have to set my DVR. Plus, they still show commercials, even for subs paying $8/mo!!! I find that offensive.
-Amazon Prime Video is included for free with my Prime membership, which I originally purchased just for the shipping.

The Apple ecosystem is unique in that it ties the user to it for all content. It is not voluntary. It is mandatory. (That is why I do not use it.) Unless Netflix became exclusive to the Hopper and/or Dish HW, it would not be an ecosystem in the Apple sense. It would simply be an open system, like Android, with people able to come and go as they please.

It would be great to have these content apps on the Hopper and future Dish HW. But, unless the subscription model changes, I can't see it happening with anything that would compete with their existing offerings.

OTOH, I'd love to see a Blockbuster App like the one on Roku, instead of the current PPV/VOD feature on the Hopper. (With the same pricing structure, which may actually result in me purchasing a movie.) Also, I'd like to see a Roku style app for the free streaming on-demand video, as well. These are the kinds of complementary apps they should be doing right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)