Dish network arbitration email

I'm sorry, that's Bullsh!t.

Someone needs to sue them because of that, because I think it's illegal.

Anyone can be sued for anything. You can't hide something like this in a residential agreement that nobody reads.

For this to be even remotely legal, it would have to be spelled out in the contract with an initial acknowledging the customer to read it.

There are other companies that do this also, that's crazy for a company hiding a statement that your not allowed to formally sue them.
DirecTV has consumer arbitration in their contracts too, google it. There is a lawsuit about the clause's prohibition on subs joining a class action, SCOTUS has agreed to hear it see DirecTV vs. Imburga. Chuckie is not the only one playing these games.

I really don't like how Dish is trying to take away our rights for their own benefit, and I don't like the way that they are 'sneaking' this change by us via email. Even though I will probably never have a dispute with Dish, I am opting out.

Is this notice by email really a legally approved way for Dish to prevent us from participating in a class action lawsuit?

I think a bunch of you need to dig out the agreements they signed for their cell phone, internet service, and so on. You will find that all of these have similar arbitration clauses. I'll be the first to call Dish out when they're "wrong" but this case isn't one that Dish is setting new grounds in anti-consumer policies.

This is a common business practice.

Several years ago I was buying an RV. When I sat down to do the paperwork, they handed me a sheet of paper to sign which had the same language, that I agree to submit any disputes to arbitration. I got up, thanked everyone for their time, turned around and walked out. The finance officer caught me outside and said "you don't need to sign it if you don't want to". I bought the RV and lived happily ever after, sorta.

I think a bunch of you need to dig out the agreements they signed for their cell phone, internet service, and so on. You will find that all of these have similar arbitration clauses. I'll be the first to call Dish out when they're "wrong" but this case isn't one that Dish is setting new grounds in anti-consumer policies.

I've seen plenty of agreements that say that a suit has to be filed in the corporation's hometown. I don't know if I've seen any that say that you can't have a jury trial. That certainly seems more egregious.

Reactions: Troch77
The contract we use where I work requires arbitration as well, but in a "neutral" country. Our company has the corporate office in Belgium and we work with US-based companies so it has (Paris) France for the arbitration location!

Yes, this is nothing new. Just looked at my Verizon agreement....arbitration or small claims. Dish is just following the norm.

Seventh Amendment - Civil Trials. In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

As long as you dont voluntary sign away your rights, no RSA trumps the Constitution.

The cell phone companies don't install equipment or send representatives of their company to my house.

That makes a big difference!

Agree, But let's not bring in the "Because everyone else does it"

This is about Dish.
Not Verizon, Att, Directv, Comcast, or anyone else.

In this situation, I wouldn't accept these terms, as I already stated, you have hands on contact with representatives of this company in your home.
With Dish Networks equipment on top of that.

Now I personally wouldn't see myself in a lawsuit, But I've seen many legit reasons for them with many providers and company's. Whether it's tech related or physical activity.

Class action suits are Dumb at best and rarely benifit a customer much anyway.
But other lawsuits, I certainly wouldn't let that company set the rules of my lawsuit.

And IMHO the fact that Dish is sending Emails , doesn't sound that bad to me, I don't Remember any provider offering me an opt out.
So I'm happy about that.

That is all.

So for the people that disagree with what Dish are doing, are you going to quit Dish, and go to a competitor where you do not get the choice to opt out? What do you do when all companies have it as a requirement to have their service, a right a company has to make

So for the people that disagree with what Dish are doing, are you going to quit Dish, and go to a competitor where you do not get the choice to opt out? What do you do when all companies have it as a requirement to have their service, a right a company has to make
I agree, and Edited my post to reflect so.

And IMHO the fact that Dish is sending Emails , doesn't sound that bad to me, I don't Remember any provider offering me an opt out.
So I'm happy about that.
Dish isn't some customer-focused good guy for sending an email - the others already have their contracts written this way. If they don't, they MUST notify customers "in writing", no doubt (and email is sufficient in the eyes of the courts). If Dish has no email on record, odds are you will get a letter in the mail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts