Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Reported from Cleveland.COM
http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1084786267241911.xml

Last season, Indians telecasts on Fox Sports Net Ohio took a clear ratings hit when satellite TV outlet Dish Network refused to air all 150 broadcasts. FSN Ohio had an overall 4.69 rating for its 2003 Indians games, its lowest performance in years.
So, what's the irony now that Dish Network IS showing every Indians telecast these days? FSN Ohio management says while it's safe to assume the added Dish viewers have helped boost the audience for Indians telecasts, it's hard to make any solid estimates on how much they've actually done so.

"We just know it's good to have them back," said Steve Liverani, general manager at FSN Ohio, of the lost Dish viewers.

Indians telecasts have been averaging a 5.0 rating in 2004. For FSN Ohio, one rating point equals some 15,500 households.

Indians Rating in Comparison with LeBron's Cavs

Even with the reduced number of viewers from Dish and the fact the Indians had a bad season in 2003, their ratings were still higher than the Cavaliers with LeBron James. Cleveland is still a football/baseball town although the Cavaliers may get popular if they continue to improve. I think a lot of folks are turned off by the blatantly arbritary officiating and how some players end up playing for the big TV market teams. IMHO the NBA is only a few rungs up on the legitamcy ladder as pro wrestling.

rocatman said:
Even with the reduced number of viewers from Dish and the fact the Indians had a bad season in 2003, their ratings were still higher than the Cavaliers with LeBron James. Cleveland is still a football/baseball town although the Cavaliers may get popular if they continue to improve. I think a lot of folks are turned off by the blatantly arbritary officiating and how some players end up playing for the big TV market teams. IMHO the NBA is only a few rungs up on the legitamcy ladder as pro wrestling.

lol, NBA is plenty legitimate, especially the playoffs (or was Derek Fisher's shot to beat the spurs a ploy to get the high rated lakers further in the playoffs :confused: )

marko said:
lol, NBA is plenty legitimate, especially the playoffs (or was Derek Fisher's shot to beat the spurs a ploy to get the high rated lakers further in the playoffs :confused: )

You have to agree that TV ratings will be higher with the Lakers than the Spurs especially with all the attention Kobi's legal problems have brought. Yes, Fisher had to make the shot but I am sure there were plenty of questionable calls that gave him the opportunity to make that shot meaningful. The fact that 30 years ago a guy who played like Shaq would have fouled out in the first half because the game then was about team work and skill instead of the physical gorilla ball that the game has become. Off the court there have been some extremely questionable player acquistions including how Larry Bird (the great white hope at the time) ended up in Boston, the draft day envelope with the bent corner that gave the Knicks the opportunity to draft Patrick Ewing, and low and behold the Cavaliers get home town savior Lebron James. Of course the NBA will no longer televise the actual selection process for the draft order. It's all on the up and up and if you believe that then I have some bridges and swamp land to sell you.

Being from Cleveland, and living in Kansas, the Indians are the only reason I subsribe to MLB Extra Innings. Made sure they would be carrying the majority of the Indians games before subsribing to the package.

Go Tribe!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)