"Dish Network" calls from 866-457-9012 continue to disregard "Do Not Call Lists."

jdmart

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2003
Albuquerque
Even though we've had Dish Network for years we keep getting calls from 866-457-9012 soliciting for Dish Network. The caller will claim to be from "Dish Network" (but more likely an affiliate). We explained that we're already Dish customers, we're on the federal Do Not Call list and not to call us again. Regardless, we continue to get the same calls from the same number. We've filed a complaint with the Federal Do Not Call Registry and Dish Network's "Do Not Call" list dept. to no avail. Caller ID displays either "800 Service," "No Name" or "Not available." Any ideas?

The only way your going to catch them with solid evidence is if you actually place an order with them and give up your name, credit card and SSN.

Give them a different address where you currently do not have Dish, let them place the order and generate and account number.

Once the account number is generated, it can be tied back to the affiliate harrasing you since afterall the account number is tied to them and is how they get paid :)

From there, all you need to show DISH Network is your on the federal do not call list and the evidence to back it up with the account number they generated and I will guarantee it will be the last time this dealer or affiliate calls you and may even loose their dealership over it if they have repeated do not call violations!

Q&A: The National Do Not Call Registry

Check out the link above, specifically question #29. Because you have an "existing business relationship" with Dish, they can call you.

Edit: I should say that I get these calls also and I believe them to be from a company or companies hired by Dish to get us to increase our programming. I believe they may be authorized by Dish to say that they are Dish. It's a gray area in the law in my opinion.

I had an unlisted and unpublished land line but still kept getting these kind of calls plus many calls from charities.

The only way I could stop all of them was to change my Dish service to "not connected to a landline" and then switch to a cell phone and "forget" to update my phone number for my Dish account.

My landline used to cost $48 a month while my cell only costs $18 a month, so in a way, I am grateful to Dish for all of the affiliate calls they made. :)

Check out the link above, specifically question #29. Because you have an "existing business relationship" with Dish, they can call you.

Edit: I should say that I get these calls also and I believe them to be from a company or companies hired by Dish to get us to increase our programming. I believe they may be authorized by Dish to say that they are Dish. It's a gray area in the law in my opinion.

Really? Then why when they call me they push to install instead of upgrade... If they were trying to get me to upgrade they would be out of luck... AEP+HD... not really much to upgrade on my account (maybe dish interactive games and such (which I really have little interest in)... but that would be it).

I after the 15,000th call to join dish network (post installation) I now screen all my calls. you have to start talking to my answering machine to persuade me to pick up the phone.

Really? Then why when they call me they push to install instead of upgrade... If they were trying to get me to upgrade they would be out of luck... AEP+HD... not really much to upgrade on my account (maybe dish interactive games and such (which I really have little interest in)... but that would be it).

I after the 15,000th call to join dish network (post installation) I now screen all my calls. you have to start talking to my answering machine to persuade me to pick up the phone.
I can't answer your question as my calls are always to upgrade programming.

The only way your going to catch them with solid evidence is if you actually place an order with them and give up your name, credit card and SSN.
This is the worst piece of advice that I've seen in a very long time.

NEVER give your credit card number to anyone that you didn't call (unless you were expecting the call and you're confident that the caller is who they say they are). Resist giving your SSN out altogether.

I suggest dialing your phone company's code for reporting calls after each call. You can usually find this information in the "Consumer Tips" section of the phone book.

Always make sure that you ask to be put on the "no call list".

Have you registered with the national do not call list and your state ones? I have an unlisted number, and have registered with both lists. I never get phone calls. I can go away for a week or two and come back and not one call on caller id. People that know me know my cell number, no one ever calls on the land line. And yes it is the # Dishnetwork has and is the # my receivers are plugged into.

You probably have a case of a shady company trying to get commissions from Dish, ignoring the no call list.

If I ever manage to get a solitiation call, I say "please put me on your no call list" and hang up. That stops them.

Post #3 above is the answer. And I am speculating that Dish themselves do not have to be the ones to call you - they can probably have a hired company do the calling for them as long as the call is Dishnetwork related.

If you dail *77 on most phone systems, it will enable anon. call blocking. This will help. If you have Sprint/Embarq they offer a service where the call gets screened and the person has to give their name before you even get a ring on your line. Before we switched to Vonage, that was what we did to stop most all unwanted calls. With Vonage we don't have any trouble with unwanted calls. Our number is listed no where ans we only give it to friends/family.

What I like to do to them is kindly say I'm not interested.. if they don't take the hint then the fun begins.. I talk to them for like 30+ minutes.. (keeping them from calls that could have actually made money on).. then tell them I'm not interested or give them bogus info and ask them to come asap.. etc...

Harassment goes both ways.. :)

They can call you once, then you say "Put me on your Do Not Call List" and they must abide, they usually give some spiel about taking 30 - 60 days to take effect. If I ever get a call from a company after I said the magic words I report them. We have it better here in Jersey because I fill out the State form as well as the Federal and someone takes care of it. If I don't get a response I fill out the form once a week until I do. Works great.

Caller ID = not having to talk to anyone you don't want to.If I don't recognize the call/tel#, then I don't answer and it goes to my answering machine/voice mail. If it is someone that I did want to talk to, but slipped thru the crack,, then they leave a message. Easier than getting bent out of shape over the do not call list.

This is the worst piece of advice that I've seen in a very long time.

NEVER give your credit card number to anyone that you didn't call (unless you were expecting the call and you're confident that the caller is who they say they are). Resist giving your SSN out altogether.

I suggest dialing your phone company's code for reporting calls after each call. You can usually find this information in the "Consumer Tips" section of the phone book.

Always make sure that you ask to be put on the "no call list".

I never said it was good advice, but if you truely want to catch the person calling you, the only way your going to be 100% sure is if you place an order and have them run your information through the DISH Network system.

The people making these annoying phone calls, are too smart to give out their "Real" contact information. Thats why they are spoofing your caller ID when they call with an "866" number, instead of their real phone number where you can contact them.

This is NOT DISH Network making these calls, its a retailer!

They will call you all day long, will not provide a correct caller ID when they call you so you cannot call them back, and will not give out their contact information to identify themselves.

But when your ready to sign up, they are more than happy take your information and set up an account and let you know who they are.

If you don't want to give your credit card, simply go and get a pre-paid credit card with $55 available on it. As far as your SSN, you can give the last 4 digits.

Caller ID = not having to talk to anyone you don't want to.If I don't recognize the call/tel#, then I don't answer and it goes to my answering machine/voice mail. If it is someone that I did want to talk to, but slipped thru the crack,, then they leave a message. Easier than getting bent out of shape over the do not call list.

We do the same thing at our house.

Only other thing I could suggest is contact Dish network (perhaps the ceo@echostar) and complain about the retailer. It would be nice to see Dish cut them off as a retailer for tactics like this, but I have a feeling that Dish would be sympathetic, but claim they are an independent retailer and there is nothing they can do about it (except pocket whatever cash the retailer generates in Dish sales).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)