Dish Network CEO Hints At Hard Line In Viacom Renewal Talks, Calls Extension A “Positive”

As best I can I'll try to identify why I respond to the fees posts. Only speaking for myself.
The posts are essentially saying DISH could just drop the fee or are there just because. That is simply wrong. Fees are part of the business model. Drop a fee and another charge or increase will be added to take it's place. Even more important, I see the complaining about DISH fees when I am saving over $185 a year over having Direct tv mostly based on lower DISH fees. Fees are part of the overall costs, part of the business model one aspect affects the other. Package prices affects fees, fees affect package prices. So when DISH has a dispute (which by the way usually lasts a very short time or sometimes never actually happened but people remember it as it happening) we focus on package prices. DISH is competitive with Cable companies and Directv package prices, often less. The conclusion could be why isn't DISH much less than Directv if they always take a hard line in negotiations. You have to go back to the business model for that answer. No first receiver fee, a fee DIrectv has may be where DISH decided to use the savings of negotiating rather than package prices. RSN's? I am saving about $75 a year just in RSN fees that DISH does not charge that Directv does because they refuse to overpay. That is a choice, I could go to Directv and get the NY RSN's in addition to the both Boston RSN's that I am eligible to get and pay $75 more a year for that. (Plus the other higher fees) Or get Cable and get those RSN's, get crappy receivers that my Brother In Law has and pay way more.

DISH has a business model where the people more interested in paying less or just can't afford to pay more can do so without necessarily giving up technology or going to the lowest packages. It's where they tower over Directv and Cable. Get a Vip receiver like a 612 or get a 211 with an EHD and you have a good DVR for a fraction of what others charge especially including no first receiver fee. DISH is far and away less expensive particularly for three or fewer rooms, that I maintain covers most subscribers needs and most installs. Not only are there more VIP receivers in use than the Hopper, a couple of installers or DISH sellers have posted that they still install VIP receivers often. And DISH VIP receivers still to this day are good receivers, better than some Cable is still using.

Those are needs. When it gets to wants, DISH like most any company charges more for the most current technology. You want the Hopper it will cost more, and is more in line with Directv costs. The R&D is astronomical and higher costs is how companies recoup that money and if a good company reinvests it to making the company better.

That's why I respond to posts about fees because they make it sound simplistic when in fact the cost structure is complex and intertwined. I recently responded to the thread about the new fee line we are seeing regarding the first receiver fee. I 100% agree I don't like the possible implications, and I hope it is for showing DISH does not charge while others do. There are many things I post negatively about DISH, but I can't just go along with posts that are not the whole story or do not match my actual experience or experience with DISH.
Tampa I agree with a lot of what you say, except the idea about fees and their intention in charging them.

Tampa I agree with a lot of what you say, except the idea about fees and their intention in charging them.

And I agree with much of what you say. I tried to find it but couldn't, quite sometime ago I posted that if DISH wants to increase subscribers they need to remain less expensive and offer things others don't. It was during the time they had not raised package prices. They raised fees and I said at the time it was a mistake to do it, though I also think I said it didn't affect everyone. Fast forward to today, they can be less expensive but I will admit I meant to be more widely so. Maybe they just can't be much less but with cord cutting now a competitor just as Cable and Directv are, they need to find a way to stand out more.
And they have dropped a couple of things that did make them different, Superstations unless grandfathered, getting EuroNews A La Carte, the National PBS channel and some other various things. But really the one thing I thought they were going to do they have not, that is to have a wireless broadband system to package with the Satellite service. Imagine if they could deliver on their own network, their TV services in addition to Satellite delivery, and add Cell service. Maybe it that is too big for DISH to do but I thought they were going to do some form of it. To me Slingtv is not what I had envisioned, it's more like they had to do something rather than really a leap forward. Slingtv isn't a bad thing, just that it is short of where I thought DISH would be now.

On premium packs that you can choose to subscribe to or not. Basic programming packs , which everyone has to have now to subscribe to DISH,have continued to go up as they went up on price and or added other channels to the pack and renaming them something else. Even the Welcome pack and the Smart pack have had an increase a few years back .

Point taken on that, but I will say HBO is widely subscribed to, at $10 those of us who like HBO see it as great deal especially combined with HBO GO. I do not know what percentage subscribe on DISH but probably a decent percentage.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Point taken on that, but I will say HBO is widely subscribed to, at $10 those of us who like HBO see it as great deal especially combined with HBO GO. I do not know what percentage subscribe on DISH but probably a decent percentage.
Agreed on the HBO. I have it on my account and my parents too, in my name. I like the fact that DISH finally got smart and reduced the price of most of their premium channels. I even said that they weren't worth more than $10.00 each. It's like they read my posts on this board and made the changes to pricing. Showtime is the only one that decided to hike to $14.00 a month, and I only watch it for one series Penny Dreadful. The only thing to me that distinguishes one Premium service from the other, is the original series that they create. The movies are all shown eventually on all premium services. They just take turns showing them.

And I agree with much of what you say. I tried to find it but couldn't, quite sometime ago I posted that if DISH wants to increase subscribers they need to remain less expensive and offer things others don't. It was during the time they had not raised package prices. They raised fees and I said at the time it was a mistake to do it, though I also think I said it didn't affect everyone. Fast forward to today, they can be less expensive but I will admit I meant to be more widely so. Maybe they just can't be much less but with cord cutting now a competitor just as Cable and Directv are, they need to find a way to stand out more.
And they have dropped a couple of things that did make them different, Superstations unless grandfathered, getting EuroNews A La Carte, the National PBS channel and some other various things. But really the one thing I thought they were going to do they have not, that is to have a wireless broadband system to package with the Satellite service. Imagine if they could deliver on their own network, their TV services in addition to Satellite delivery, and add Cell service. Maybe it that is too big for DISH to do but I thought they were going to do some form of it. To me Slingtv is not what I had envisioned, it's more like they had to do something rather than really a leap forward. Slingtv isn't a bad thing, just that it is short of where I thought DISH would be now.
I think that they have missed the boat on the wireless service. Either Charlie has waited too long to make his move or no one wants to work with him because of his need to be in total control or top dog in any combined company. The only time he got close to merging with DIRECTV was squashed by the government over anti monopoly laws. I think his reputation has preceded him in any negotiation.

I think that they have missed the boat on the wireless service. Either Charlie has waited too long to make his move or no one wants to work with him because of his need to be in total control or top dog in any combined company. The only time he got close to merging with DIRECTV was squashed by the government over anti monopoly laws. I think his reputation has preceded him in any negotiation.
I don't mean this to sound smart, but I think that Charlie knows ALOT more about what he is doing than you or I. I know that I am not worth several billion dollars, nor do I control two companies that have a market capitalization of about $30 billion, so I would say the man must know what he is doing. They will come out on top some how with that wireless spectrum that they hold. Either sell it, partner with a carrier, merge with a wireless carrier, or start a joint venture with a wireless carrier.

I don't mean this to sound smart, but I think that Charlie knows ALOT more about what he is doing than you or I. I know that I am not worth several billion dollars, nor do I control two companies that have a market capitalization of about $30 billion, so I would say the man must know what he is doing. They will come out on top some how with that wireless spectrum that they hold. Either sell it, partner with a carrier, merge with a wireless carrier, or start a joint venture with a wireless carrier.
That spectrum, like 50 yrs ago, is top of the market "real estate". Sell it, lease it, negotiate with it...Digital Gold!

Burnie Madoff was a millionaire too.
Having lots of money doesn't automatically make you an Honest business man.
And Charle had some really huge lawsuits that cost over a Billion dollars.
Just as much as Directv/Att paid for ST exclusive rights for its 26 million customers .

So IMO that money could have been put to good use within Dish Network.
Charlie wouldn't be so heavy on the negotiations with networks and trying to scrape every extra penny he can any way he can from his Remaining 13.2 Million satellite TV subscribers.

Because those 600,000 Sling Tv customers are certainly not the ones keeping the lights on with the pathetic $20 a month bill.

That's what I think is so hilarious about you guys sticking up for Charlie claims on how he's weeding out the bad ,unprofitable customer, but yet he's the guy with welfare bottom of the barrel Basepackages like Sling tv, and the Welcome pack.

Those packages aren't paying for crap.
I pay $33 alone in receiver fees under a price lock.
Add another $17 to that in 16 months maybe more when my price lock is up
My fees alone would be 5 Sling Tv customers.

Charlie blows a lot of smoke, he's a gambler, and there is nothing wrong with that, but they always have an excuse when your numbers look low to the public eye, and the best excuse he could come up with was , "I'M WEEDING OUT THE UNPROFITABLE CUSTOMER"
And some of yous actually bought it!
Charlie wants $100, $150,$200 a month customer, even if he pays his bill 30 days late because that's what's keeping the lights on.
Not $20 paid in full on time.

If some of yous think he doesn't want his ARPU to be over $100 a month, well you guys are crazy then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Ok , name one merger or partnership that has worked out with CHarlie and DISH?

Tivo? No: lawsuit for years over DISH stealing Tivos technology that resulted in a big pay out by DISH.

Voom ? No: NO more voom hd channels and more lawsuits .

Microsoft and the original Web tv /dishplayer 7100/7200 model ? GOD NO! More lawsuits and ultimate brick of the receiver that made the internet part not work any longer.

Blockbuster ? Bought in a fire sale , now gone and no longer even mentioned anywhere on DISH website or even used to promote their Vod or pay per view movies.

Name anyone partnership that has resulted in a fruitful deal with anyone who has partnered with DISH and old Charlie. As for selling the bandwith , he has till next year to do just that or use it with a wireless carrier or start his own wireless company or he loses it back to the government. I see him selling it since he can't partner with any cell phone companies. So my original statement stands. No one wants to work with him because of his long history in the industry of not getting along with others and him wanting to be the big boss in any partnership. Working and playing well with others is something you learn in kindergarten and elementary school. It doesn't take billions to be taught that one lesson ,as evidenced by his failure to secure a cell phone wireless carrier partnership even with T-mobile, who wants a deal.

Last edited:
Burnie Madoff was a millionaire too.
Having lots of money doesn't automatically make you an Honest business man.
And Charle had some really huge lawsuits that cost over a Billion dollars.
Just as much as Directv/Att paid for ST exclusive rights for its 26 million customers .

So IMO that money could have been put to good use within Dish Network.
Charlie wouldn't be so heavy on the negotiations with networks and trying to scrape every extra penny he can any way he can from his Remaining 13.2 Million satellite TV subscribers.

Because those 600,000 Sling Tv customers are certainly not the ones keeping the lights on with the pathetic $20 a month bill.

That's what I think is so hilarious about you guys sticking up for Charlie claims on how he's weeding out the bad ,unprofitable customer, but yet he's the guy with welfare bottom of the barrel Basepackages like Sling tv, and the Welcome pack.

Those packages aren't paying for crap.
I pay $33 alone in receiver fees under a price lock.
Add another $17 to that in 16 months maybe more when my price lock is up
My fees alone would be 5 Sling Tv customers.

Charlie blows a lot of smoke, he's a gambler, and there is nothing wrong with that, but they always have an excuse when your numbers look low to the public eye, and the best excuse he could come up with was , "I'M WEEDING OUT THE UNPROFITABLE CUSTOMER"
And some of yous actually bought it!
Charlie wants $100, $150,$200 a month customer, even if he pays his bill 30 days late because that's what's keeping the lights on.
Not $20 paid in full on time.

If some of yous think he doesn't want his ARPU to be over $100 a month, well you guys are crazy then.

You do know there are add ons to Sling packages a don't you? Not every SlingTV subscriber is just paying $20 per month. Not all have all of the add on packages either, but not everyone is just paying $20 per month.

You do know there are add ons to Sling packages a don't you? Not every SlingTV subscriber is just paying $20 per month. Not all have all of the add on packages either, but not everyone is just paying $20 per month.
Yes I know about the add ons.

Again though the value goes out the window when you start with the add ons.

Soon your up over $50 a month, you might as well subscribe to satellite TV.

Reactions: osu1991
Sling..... ;)
Sling was bought by DISH and the creators both left shortly after it was bought. Neither creator stayed to work with DISH once they were bought. They left in Jan of 2009 after the announcement in Sept. of 2007 of the Sling media buyout for $380 million. Sounds more like a total buyout and not a merger or partnership. So that proves my point again. Charlie has to be in total charge or there's the door.

Last edited:
Ok Mike, I get the point, he is an a$$hole.
He is however, still a successful a$$hole and is evidently a better businessman than either you or I, that is, unless you are the CEO of a multibillion dollar company and we just don't know about it.
Could Charlie and Dish have done better, of course.
I still say in light of the man's shortcomings he has still done quite well for himself and for Echostar.
Send a resume out to Denver, maybe they'll hire you to implement your way of doing things and get them back on track.

Ok Mike, I get the point, he is an a$$hole.
He is however, still a successful a$$hole and is evidently a better businessman than either you or I, that is, unless you are the CEO of a multibillion dollar company and we just don't know about it.
Could Charlie and Dish have done better, of course.
I still say in light of the man's shortcomings he has still done quite well for himself and for Echostar.
Send a resume out to Denver, maybe they'll hire you to implement your way of doing things and get them back on track.
Never said he wasn't a good businessman. I said I don't see him doing anything with the wireless bandwith he has because he waited too long and he can't get a partnership with any cell phone carrier because his reputation precedes him. So he will most likely sell it soon or he will have to give it back up to the government by next year if he doesn't either partner or create his own wireless carrier.

Never said he wasn't a good businessman. I said I don't see him doing anything with the wireless bandwith he has because he waited too long and he can't get a partnership with any cell phone carrier because his reputation precedes him. So he will most likely sell it soon or he will have to give it back up to the government by next year if he doesn't either partner or create his own wireless carrier.
They have until 2021 to use the bandwidth the way I read their 10K.

They have until 2021 to use the bandwidth the way I read their 10K.
What I read in the SEC report about DISH and potential Sprint partner( another failed merger deal) in 2013 , he "has till March of 2017 to provide terrestrial coverage and offer terrestrial service to at least 40 % of the population covered by these licenses and the coverage and service requirement increases to 70 % by 2020. " It also said that according to a recent analyst report, "the cost to build out the 2ghz spectrum {is estimated by} US analysts. ....at US $6 Bn. Wile the exact size is not certain , the need for very large capital investments to use the previously acquired spectrum is not disputed. DISH does NOT have prior experience in this type of build -out program.

So unless he has been sitting on a deal that accomplishes the 40 % coverage and service requirement by a year from now, he won't be around to do the 70 % by 2020. So he has to give back the spectrum to the government for re auction and he will take a huge loss in doing so.

Reactions: TheKrell
What I read in the SEC report about DISH and potential Sprint partner( another failed merger deal) in 2013 , he "has till March of 2017 to provide terrestrial coverage and offer terrestrial service to at least 40 % of the population covered by these licenses and the coverage and service requirement increases to 70 % by 2020. " It also said that according to a recent analyst report, "the cost to build out the 2ghz spectrum {is estimated by} US analysts. ....at US $6 Bn. Wile the exact size is not certain , the need for very large capital investments to use the previously acquired spectrum is not disputed. DISH does NOT have prior experience in this type of build -out program.

So unless he has been sitting on a deal that accomplishes the 40 % coverage and service requirement by a year from now, he won't be around to do the 70 % by 2020. So he has to give back the spectrum to the government for re auction and he will take a huge loss in doing so.
Ok, they are going to go bankrupt. I will be selling my Hopper 3 and Joey's and my Dish stock tomorrow.

BTW, here is a snippet about the AWS-4 spectrum from 10/2015.

"Dish is required to build out 40 percent of its coverage on its AWS-4 licenses by 2017 and at least 70 percent by 2021. If Dish fails to meet the initial buildout requirements, the penalty is a one-year acceleration of the second (and final) buildout date. "Therefore, while there is a shot clock in place, the time table still affords Dish a reasonable amount of time to execute a plan to sell or lease the spectrum," the analysts said."[/I]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)