Dish Network Changes Programming Package names

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I bet you anything they will eventually make everyone take the locals making it in the basic package charging more for the local package, figuring up how to make up for the cost of launching those local markets and having dish upgrades with the extra money they will be getting each month.

Stargazer said:
I bet you anything they will eventually make everyone take the locals making it in the basic package charging more for the local package, figuring up how to make up for the cost of launching those local markets and having dish upgrades with the extra money they will be getting each month.

Whenever all 210 DMAs are up, I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't!

~Alan

At least that gives us a year (or more) to not worry about it. Besides, the 'no price increase' on AT50 (now AT60 for the same price) is in effect until January 2005.

101 markets up, 109 to go - and many of them SuperDish communities. Forcing subscribers to buy locals would mean providing thousands of subscribers with new dishes. A big expense that won't be covered by an additional $5.99 per month.

Think about it. If THEY force you to buy locals can THEY force you to sign a long term contract? It is their risk that you don't get the free SuperDish installed for the locals they are forcing and then cancel the next month. Too big of a risk, IMHO.

I can see NEW customers, who will be signing a committment, being forced to get locals. But not old ones. And even then, I don't expect it. Marketing will do their best to include locals in their sales but I do not see it being a required part of the purchase for a long time. It is bad business.

JL

Dish would be acting just like cable if they required all subs to take locals. Of course they are becoming more and more like cable with all the new fees and phone requirements or a fee with the newer receivers like the 522 . Let's not forget them going up on their price for the third year in a row like cable. The more they make fun of the cable pig the more it sounds like a case "of the pot calling the kettle black."

One excuse they could make up for making everyone purchase the local channels after most or all the markets are up is by saying that the cost is greater for the smaller markets so they need a locals subscription for everyone plus if everyone purchased it in every market then that would help everyone across the board. Not only this but the networks may require their programming to be in a basic package like some of the other channels do once all the markets are up. One could think of so many reasons why they would do such a thing as this opposed to not doing something like this.

We will not be seeing a basic package for less than $30 (perhaps even $32-$35) in the future when all the local markets are up and more price increases. Hopefully they would decide to provide what is equal to the AT100(120) for that price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts