Dish Network (DishWorld) distributing Roku boxes for new IPTV service

shetaan819

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
San Francisco
Dish Network recently stopped selling the Dish World service in order to upgrade users to a Roku box which will carry a Dish IPTV 'channel' with international channels (SouthAsian/Arabic/Brazilian, etc.).

DISHWorld IPTV Important Notice | DISHWorld IPTV important notice

I've heard the picture quality is supposedly just as good as their actual Dish Network satellite service - will definitely report back as soon as I've actually got the box.

I saw a demo of this at Team Summit. Because of the internet quality in the convention center it was not that impressive, but I am told when you are home and not sharing a signle 1.5 MB data line with all the other exibits it works great.

I am surprised to see them go with a Roku box instead of something made by Echostar.

Roku just put up a blog post about it:
DISHWorld Launches on Roku | The Official Roku Blog

I wonder if Roku has some kind of deal with these IPTV service providers to get their customers Roku boxes at a discount in exchange for offering services over their platform. Sure Echostar has to resources to build a little box, but why invest in that when someone else is willing to foot the bill? Plus it's in Roku's interest, but cause that's more people that could use other services they offer.

I saw a demo of this at Team Summit. Because of the internet quality in the convention center it was not that impressive, but I am told when you are home and not sharing a signle 1.5 MB data line with all the other exibits it works great.

I am surprised to see them go with a Roku box instead of something made by Echostar.

I was certainly surprised as well, or for that matter, something built by the Sling team...

I'm decently impressed with the quality however I have a 100mbps connection, I've uploaded a review of the DishWorld IPTV channel on Roku here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w0hkZQfU8s

In order to watch these channels in 16:9, I actually had to change my Roku display setting to 4:3 which is unfortunate since the resolution is slightly lower and thus the quality does get a bit degraded however the quality is decent when using the Roku 720p or 1080p display setting options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)