Dish Network: Distant Networks

srbond said:
In the long run, I really think we will have the last laugh on the locals.

It may take a year or two, but IPTV will change a lot of things.

It's not going to change until the big 4 networks can find a way to replace $28 BILLION in revenue a year that they get with the current system that costs them literally no money in comparison for a distrubtion system. IPTV shifts the cost to them so you have an added expense there, thus you won't have this happen in the next 10 years with IPTV as that translates to about $25 a month FROM EVERY HOUSEHOLD IN AMERICA.

Furtherore, it kills the value of their local O and O stations serving 38% of the population they own at a worth of literally hundreds of millions of dollars each in large markets.

You want a new network? Just ask UPN or WB about losing several hundred million a year with "great quality programming" like they were able to put on.

Nice dream, but we also heard that radio would be dead by 2000 thanks to real audio on the net. Mark Cuban was the only one who made money on that deal.

IPTV and more advanced wireless internet offerings will change the way we look at tv and the internet. Being able to take your television and internet everywhere you go will be a major breakthrough. This is what is needed. It is not a matter of 'if' but a matter of 'when'.

HDTVFanAtic said:
It's not going to change until the big 4 networks can find a way to replace $28 BILLION in revenue a year that they get with the current system that costs them literally no money in comparison for a distrubtion system. IPTV shifts the cost to them so you have an added expense there, thus you won't have this happen in the next 10 years with IPTV as that translates to about $25 a month FROM EVERY HOUSEHOLD IN AMERICA.

Furtherore, it kills the value of their local O and O stations serving 38% of the population they own at a worth of literally hundreds of millions of dollars each in large markets.

You want a new network? Just ask UPN or WB about losing several hundred million a year with "great quality programming" like they were able to put on.

Nice dream, but we also heard that radio would be dead by 2000 thanks to real audio on the net. Mark Cuban was the only one who made money on that deal.

How much of your viewing constitutes the big four networks via locals retransmission?

In my house, maybe 5% max and decreasing.

The big four will have to adapt or die and as far as the locals (using the radio example), sure they will be around if they reinvent themselves. How many times has radio had to reinvent itself in order to survive?

srbond said:
Who uses dial-up anymore... ever hear of high-speed?

You need to get out more:) Millions of people are still limited to dial-up internet service just like millions can't get decent OTA TV. It's called rural America hill country.

srbond said:
How much of your viewing constitutes the big four networks via locals retransmission?

In my house, maybe 5% max and decreasing.

The big four will have to adapt or die and as far as the locals (using the radio example), sure they will be around if they reinvent themselves. How many times has radio had to reinvent itself in order to survive?
Network TV is actually enjoying a big resurgence. Something was even mentioned on the Emmy Awards about it's comeback.

Maybe you don't care about network shows like: 24, Lost, House, Nascar, NFL, Grey's Anatomy, American Idol,....(just some that members of my family happen to like) but there are apparently millions of viewers that do. I don't think the networks are going to die anytime soon.

waltinvt said:
Network TV is actually enjoying a big resurgence. Something was even mentioned on the Emmy Awards about it's comeback.

Maybe you don't care about network shows like: 24, Lost, House, Nascar, NFL, Grey's Anatomy, American Idol,....(just some that members of my family happen to like) but there are apparently millions of viewers that do. I don't think the networks are going to die anytime soon.
We don't watch any of those, but we do watch CSI, CSI: Miami, Criminal Minds, Ghost Whisperer, Numb3rs, etc. - the highest rates shows are still on network television. In fact, with the proliferation of HD-Lite more than two-thirds of our viewing (if you include local news and sports) is free over-the-air. The sooner we have a la carte programming choices, the sooner 75% of the garbage on cable and satellite will disappear when they lose their subsidies.

srbond said:
Who uses dial-up anymore... ever hear of high-speed?

I do. :eek:

Yes I've heard of high speed.:rolleyes: ... But I'm not giving my worthless local cable company $50 a month for the privledge, even if broadband is available where I live (it probably isn't).

NightRyder

waltinvt said:

I can download "Lost" (the only broadcast network show I view) from ABC the next day... I'm sure that this is a trend that will continue.

NightRyder said:
I do. :eek:

Yes I've heard of high speed.:rolleyes: ... But I'm not giving my worthless local cable company $50 a month for the privledge, even if broadband is available where I live (it probably isn't).

NightRyder

I pay $20 per month for DSL from AT&T... screw cable.

srbond said:
I can download "Lost" (the only broadcast network show I view) from ABC the next day... I'm sure that this is a trend that will continue.

Hopefully, since E* may kill my distants, I may have to rely on these forms of viewing to replace the shows when my PVR burps and fails to record....

LMAO, here is the response I got from my senator. This is in response to filling out the form on the savemychannels site. What a pointless response and it only took a month or so to respond. Didn't really

Carl Levin said:
Dear Mr. xxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me about channel access on satellite television. I appreciate hearing your views on this subject.

In 1999, the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act (SHVIA, P.L.106-113) was signed into law. SHVIA was intended to provide owners of home satellites greater access to broadcast network television. SHVIA permits satellite companies to provide "local into local" service, which is the rebroadcast of local TV signals to subscribers who reside in the local TV station's market. SHVIA also outlines the procedure for a satellite company to provide "local into local" service to customers living in an nserved household, defined as a household that cannot receive a quality signal over an antenna, for which a satellite provider can impose a fee.

If you have questions about the current availability of "local into local" service in your area or your eligibility to receive distant TV signals, you should contact your satellite provider or distributor. You can also contact the Federal Communications Commission concerning questions about "local into local" service and other questions about the SHVIA at the following address:

Federal Communications Commission
445 12th St. S.W.
Washington, DC 20554
[http://www.fcc.gov]
1-888-225-5322.

I hope you find this information helpful. I will be sure to keep your views in mind should this issue come before the Senate.

Sincerely,
Carl Levin

srbond said:

BobMurdoch said:
Hopefully, since E* may kill my distants, I may have to rely on these forms of viewing to replace the shows when my PVR burps and fails to record....

Well maybe I just don't know what I'm doing but I checked one of those venues out today. I joined ITunes and downloaded one of the un-aired episodes of Night Stalker.

Sure it plays ok on the little rinky dink player in the ITunes software but apparently $2 doesn't entitle one to a copy that can be burned to a DVD and seen on a full size TV. I can just see my family of 10 packed into my office around my PC screen some night to watch Lost. Actually I wouldn't let all of them watch Lost or "24" but you get the point.:D

waltinvt said:
Well maybe I just don't know what I'm doing but I checked one of those venues out today. I joined ITunes and downloaded one of the un-aired episodes of Night Stalker.

Sure it plays ok on the little rinky dink player in the ITunes software but apparently $2 doesn't entitle one to a copy that can be burned to a DVD and seen on a full size TV. I can just see my family of 10 packed into my office around my PC screen some night to watch Lost. Actually I wouldn't let all of them watch Lost or "24" but you get the point.:D

There is software out there that can capture whatever you stream to burn it.

I agree that the terchnology isn't all there yet, but it's just a matter of time.

IPTV and TV on demand are right around the corner... and I'm sure the NAB would like to block it.

BobMurdoch said:

The technology is coming... ABC is already providing some of their shows for download the day after they air... that is good enough for me.

I amworking on building a media TV that will play these downloads directly to my TV.

srbond said:
IPTV and TV on demand are right around the corner... and I'm sure the NAB would like to block it.
Then I implore you to look at the case against iCraveTV.com. Trust me, if someone breaks copyright law over the internet, it will be painful.

srbond said:
There is software out there that can capture whatever you stream to burn it.

I agree that the terchnology isn't all there yet, but it's just a matter of time.

Yes, IPTV and TV on demand are right around the corner.

Now, if there is anything that you want to watch on it, that is a different story, as production has to be paid for somehow - and those that just want to download it for free such as yourself sure aren't going to foot the bill - and advertisers are not going to pay the $28B they give the networks for a few hundred thousand (or a few million) possibily downloading something off the web.

Greggie - you just don't understand. The only thing that is important is that people like srbond want it. Anything that stands in his way of getting what he wants when he wants it (for free if possible) is a multinational corporate conspiracy against the First Amendment. He believes if you can't hold it then you can't own it (and maybe even not then). Just like the Napster/Kazaa thieves, he won't believe it's a problem until he's frogmarched into the courtroom.

Greg Bimson said:
Then I implore you to look at the case against iCraveTV.com. Trust me, if someone breaks copyright law over the internet, it will be painful.

ThomasRz said:
Greggie - you just don't understand. The only thing that is important is that people like srbond want it. Anything that stands in his way of getting what he wants when he wants it (for free if possible) is a multinational corporate conspiracy against the First Amendment. He believes if you can't hold it then you can't own it (and maybe even not then). Just like the Napster/Kazaa thieves, he won't believe it's a problem until he's frogmarched into the courtroom.

The internet has produced a generations of thieves who believe that stealing is ok - especially if its just 1s and 0s :(

I'll be the first to admit I used to walk into theaters through the exits but I still knew it was wrong and did not try to justify it as being ok. I knew what I was doing. I knew it was wrong.

And that's probably the worst part of what I see - the constant justification that there is nothing wrong with it. It's like an alcoholic or crack user who won't admit they have a problem.

The next 50 years should be interesting.

waltinvt said:
I can just see my family of 10 packed into my office around my PC screen some night to watch Lost.
Fortunately my video card has an S-Video out, so I send the signal out to my TV whenever we watch something that was downloaded.

Uplink Activity for 10-18-2006

Vip 211 OTA Guide

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)