Dish Network: Distant Networks

ThomasRz said:
Greggie - you just don't understand<snip>......

"Greggie" ?

lol.gif lol.gif

Sorry.........I'm ok now.

Greg Bimson said:
Then I implore you to look at the case against iCraveTV.com. Trust me, if someone breaks copyright law over the internet, it will be painful.

I've been talking about legally......at least I assume when you pay $2 for a TV episode from ITunes, it's a legal copy.

Derwin0 said:
Fortunately my video card has an S-Video out, so I send the signal out to my TV whenever we watch something that was downloaded.

srbond said:
There is software out there that can capture whatever you stream to burn it.

The technology is coming... ABC is already providing some of their shows for download the day after they air... that is good enough for me.

I amworking on building a media TV that will play these downloads directly to my TV.

ITunes Customer Service Reply: You can connect a video iPod to your TV to watch purchased videos. All you need is an Apple iPod AV cable and a television with RCA video and audio inputs.

But how do these methods look on a full size TV?

Using the S-Video out gives me pretty good quality on my TV.
But I don't use iTunes, mainly bitTorrent, or the particular networks site (if available), to catch an episode of something that I missed, due to a DVR hiccup or my own memory lapse.

Greg Bimson said:
Then I implore you to look at the case against iCraveTV.com. Trust me, if someone breaks copyright law over the internet, it will be painful.

ABC is already offering some of it's programs for download the next day after they air.

Perfectly legal.

HDTVFanAtic said:
The internet has produced a generations of thieves who believe that stealing is ok - especially if its just 1s and 0s :(

I'll be the first to admit I used to walk into theaters through the exits but I still knew it was wrong and did not try to justify it as being ok. I knew what I was doing. I knew it was wrong.

And that's probably the worst part of what I see - the constant justification that there is nothing wrong with it. It's like an alcoholic or crack user who won't admit they have a problem.

The next 50 years should be interesting.

I'm curious, back in the day did you ever record a friends album to cassette?

srbond said:
I'm curious, back in the day did you ever record a friends album to cassette?

Nope. I can truly say I have never recorded an album, cassette or cd to cassette, CD or DVD for my use or a friend's use.

The only MP3 that I can ever remember downloading off the web was one that was a 9/11 tribute that we needed for a broadcast on 9/15 - again - not for personal use.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Nope. I can truly say I have never recorded an album, cassette or cd to cassette, CD or DVD for my use or a friend's use.

The only MP3 that I can ever remember downloading off the web was one that was a 9/11 tribute that we needed for a broadcast on 9/15 - again - not for personal use.

And which parish was that were you alter served?:) Just kidding.

HDTVFanAtic said:

At least you live by your ideals...

For me, I can't even count the times.

srbond said:
ABC is already offering some of it's programs for download the next day after they air.

Perfectly legal.

I went to the ABC site, and the downloads were for mobile devices like cell phones. The video section was full episodes but all for watching in a web-player.

I went to look at the dish website today. I currently get the Denver and LA distants. When I look up my address it only shows that I am eligible for the Nasvhille locals. However when I go into my account to add locals to see what comes up I see that I am now only eligible for ABC, NBC, & CBS distants signals along with PBS. Each for $1.50. I already have distants but wanted to see what my options are. Last time I looked it had distants packages that had FOX included. I was wondering if anyone with distants has FOX showing up on their available options. Below is the text of the message I get.

Local Package
Congratulations, this address is eligible for the Local Networks Package in your area. High-Definition local channels are available in your area! In order to get your HD local channels you will need a ViP211TM or ViP622TM DVR receiver. Additional equipment and costs may apply.

Please note: If you do not select a ViP receiver, you will still receive your standard definition local channels.

Nashville, TN DISH Local Networks Package

View the complete list of channels in this package.

SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS:

A different and/or additional dish antenna may be required to receive your Local Network Package. Learn more.

A High Definition receiver is required to view your HD local signal. Determine if you have an HD receiver.

Distant Network A La Carte

Congratulations, this address is eligible for the following Distant Networks A La Carte. To add this programming to your purchase, select below. You may only choose a total of two A La Carte Network channels in each Network (ie. no more than two NBC, two ABC, two CBS, two FOX). $1.50/ea.

New York, NY ABC CBS NBC
Chicago, IL ABC CBS NBC
Denver, CO ABC CBS NBC
Los Angeles, CA ABC CBS NBC

Click here to request a waiver for Distant Networks.
if you have previously requested a waiver, you can check the status here.
Superstation Package
Congratulations, this address is eligible for Superstations. To add this to your purchase, select below.
KWGN Denver
KTLA Los Angeles
WPIX New York
WSBK Boston
WWOR New York $5.99/mo.

National PBS
Congratulations, this address is eligible for the National PBS Station.

So basically there's no real medium for downloading anything that can be effectively watched on a regular tv except whatever V.O.D. service one's provider offers?

I wonder why? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

For instance take the series "Lost". It gets exclusive first run the day it airs but shortly thereafter (maybe even next day) it's available for $2 to download and watch on a PC or IPod. Since most hit series are offered on dvd at some point prior to the next season anyway and at even less than $2 per episode and if people are willing to pay the $2 why not just let them be able to burn a dvd now?

waltinvt said:
So basically there's no real medium for downloading anything that can be effectively watched on a regular tv except whatever V.O.D. service one's provider offers?

I wonder why? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

For instance take the series "Lost". It gets exclusive first run the day it airs but shortly thereafter (maybe even next day) it's available for $2 to download and watch on a PC or IPod. Since most hit series are offered on dvd at some point prior to the next season anyway and at even less than $2 per episode and if people are willing to pay the $2 why not just let them be able to burn a dvd now?

Maybe because they want you to spend the $50 to buy the whole season; if you buy single episodes you probably won't buy all 22 or 25 episodes?

rockymtnhigh said:
Maybe because they want you to spend the $50 to buy the whole season; if you buy single episodes you probably won't buy all 22 or 25 episodes?

So charge $3 per episode to have the ability to burn it. The point is, for a number of reasons people that have gotten into a particular series might end up missing an episode or 2 during the season. If you're going to make the episode available anyway, why not make it available so people can watch it on their regular TV. It would probably make that person more likely to stay with that series too.

Also I doubt if they were likely to buy the dvd set anyway that downloading and burning a missed episode would cause them to change their mind.

waltinvt said:
So charge $3 per episode to have the ability to burn it. The point is, for a number of reasons people that have gotten into a particular series might end up missing an episode or 2 during the season. If you're going to make the episode available anyway, why not make it available so people can watch it on their regular TV. It would probably make that person more likely to stay with that series too.

Also I doubt if they were likely to buy the dvd set anyway that downloading and burning a missed episode would cause them to change their mind.

I agree with you. It makes sense, but lots of things make sense and it never stops the tv industry from doing things that dont make sense! :(

voyagerbob said:
I went to look at the dish website today. I currently get the Denver and LA distants. When I look up my address it only shows that I am eligible for the Nasvhille locals. However when I go into my account to add locals to see what comes up I see that I am now only eligible for ABC, NBC, & CBS distants signals along with PBS. Each for $1.50. I already have distants but wanted to see what my options are. Last time I looked it had distants packages that had FOX included. I was wondering if anyone with distants has FOX showing up on their available options.
Fox is still available on mine.
Are you in a Fox O&O area? The O&O stations may have yanked waivers, as they are the only ones to not settle, as opposed to non-O&O affliates like mine that did.

Derwin0 said:
Fox is still available on mine.
Are you in a Fox O&O area? The O&O stations may have yanked waivers, as they are the only ones to not settle, as opposed to non-O&O affliates like mine that did.

Nashville statiion is a Sinclair company. Don't know what is going on.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts