Dish Network...Does it suck?

savery2151

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm not very happy.

I had DirectTV with 2 DVR's and they were totally independent (the receivers, that is).

I switched to Dish and now I have one HD DVR (VIP622) and it is connected with another tv (non-HD tv). They seem to be connnected, in that I can't record on TV1 (the HD) and switch to another channel on TV1 (in the single mode) without the 2nd tv being forced onto the channel I've switched TV1 on to....

Make sense?? I'm really pissed about this. If I'm wrong about how this is working, please let me know.

Thanks....

yes this is the way that dish dvr's work, i did not like it either when i first switched so a year later when my contract expired i got them to upgrade me to three single room dvrs (with two tuners each) and one of them is hd. so basically i now have two 625's and one 622.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm not very happy.

I had DirectTV with 2 DVR's and they were totally independent (the receivers, that is).

I switched to Dish and now I have one HD DVR (VIP622) and it is connected with another tv (non-HD tv). They seem to be connnected, in that I can't record on TV1 (the HD) and switch to another channel on TV1 (in the single mode) without the 2nd tv being forced onto the channel I've switched TV1 on to....

Make sense?? I'm really pissed about this. If I'm wrong about how this is working, please let me know.

Thanks....

In Dual Mode, your 622 defaults the second tuner to tv2, and it defaults recordings to that tuner, but you can change that.

If I am recording one channel, I record it on TV2, and can watch something else on tv1. If I am recording on both tuners, then I can either watch what is being recorded on tv1, or watch something from the dvr, or use the dvr to watch what is being recorded on tv2.

In single mode, tv2 plays what is on tv1, but you have two tuners available on tv1, including PiP. I always use dual mode, but its just from years of experience with Dish DVRs.

Give it some time and you will find the 622 to be a very powerful device, particularly when you are recording on OTA, tuner1, tuner 2, and watching something recorded on the dvr. And in theory (but I don't recommend taxing the system by doing this) watching from an external archived hdd, at the same time you are recording on three tuners. :)

2 DVR one 622 and 522 in single modes, modulated in to one line. feeding 4 TV's, so i can record 5 shows at any given time on one TV just tone to specific channel

You should be able to get another DVR for the 2nd room, email ceo@echostar.com

How freaking ridiculous that you're telling him to send an e-mail there. That address is suppose to be for escalated issues and complaints.

That's sorta like the idiot who calls up 911 and wants directions to the nearest Home Depot when he should try something less drastic like mapquest or 411 for the store number.

How 'bout we first try customer service/retailer to see if he can lease or buy another DVR??

Good freaking grief!!

How freaking ridiculous that you're telling him to send an e-mail there. That address is suppose to be for escalated issues and complaints.

That's sorta like the idiot who calls up 911 and wants directions to the nearest Home Depot when he should try something less drastic like mapquest or 411 for the store number.

How 'bout we first try customer service/retailer to see if he can lease or buy another DVR??

Good freaking grief!!
If there is one person on this forum who's advice is sound, it's Claude. His suggestion is so that the OP may be able correct an error in planning without having to belly up.
Have a good freaking day!

you know it would be nice to have one dvr in your house feeding all of your tv's this way you could record multiple shows at once and watch them in all the rooms.

I've often thought abut that. A 4 or 8 tuner monster DVR server would be awesome. The mythical 4 tuner DVR has been rumored for a couple of years, but as far as I know, it's all talk.

You guys don't get it. The 622 simply has a bonus over other multiple tuner DVRs - it allows access to the tuners (depending on the mode) via SD home distribution over coax. Due to DRM you will not see HD distribution over this type of connection in the foreseeable future. Every HDTV,to receive HD, must have its own receiver or a long connection back to the 622 via HDMI or component, period.

You guys don't get it. The 622 simply has a bonus over other multiple tuner DVRs - it allows access to the tuners (depending on the mode) via SD home distribution over coax. Due to DRM you will not see HD distribution over this type of connection in the foreseeable future. Every HDTV,to receive HD, must have its own receiver or a long connection back to the 622 via HDMI or component, period.
Friendly conjecturing. What's to get?

Firstly :welcome to Savery2151

As i look at the original post it seems, With direct tv you had 2 dvr's with dish you have 1. The complaint was that one was worse than 2, well i probably would agree, if you run the one in single mode. However, if you run it in dual which effectively is 2 dvr's, it it should be the same. Is it ? Or is it still not working as you would like ?

I personally, like others here, like the PIP, record and watch of the single mode, so I have 2 622's. Contact Dish if you would like that, of course there are additional fee's depending on your package.

Good luck.

Good freaking grief!!

This post is sorta like the high school intern going into the CEO's office to tell him how to run his company.
It might help to know who you are trying to chastise before you open your mouth, or in this case...type on your keyboard.
Good Freaking grief!! :rolleyes:

This is old Bullsh!t. Just about every time I had did an install for a customer going from direct whom had a tivo unit converting to dish this exact problem came up.

Problem is the equipment is different, direct customers basically have single mode dual tuners, then when they come to dish they are confused about how dish's equipment differs.

I learned when going to a direct swap over who had one of them tivo units to let them know up front what it is their getting. I've done been there where after I finished the install during education the customer start going off....... not a fun situation a nasty chick with no alchohol looks better then that.

Yes this customer will want to contact CEO about this specifically because a normal CSR will charge him/her for the upgrade for another dual tuner, CEO *MAY* waive the fee because of what I had stated earlier, if the customer had KNOWN what he/she was getting from the get go, most likely would have asked for two dvr's up front. Therefore Claude made a good point in contacting ceo@echostar.com

Nuff said.

Due to DRM you will not see HD distribution over this type of connection in the foreseeable future.

Sadly this is all too true. Reactionary a**holes like the MPAA and the senators/congressmen they've bought and paid for have always stood in the way of technological advancement. They've always shackled the inventor and the innovator and held back the progress of technology. These are the same luddites who initially opposed music radio in the first half of the 20th century, opposed the consumer being able to own any form of recordable media starting with reel-to-reel magnetic tape, and tried to kill time-shifting technologies in the late '70's (VCRs). In the late '90's they found a way to get around the fair use ruling by having their wholly-owned representatives pass the reprehensable DMCA which said that yes, you do have a right to make a personal backup copy of media, but if it's got "DRM" on it, it's a federal offense to own the tools to make that personal copy. Kind of like how the government in Cuba says that access to the internet is a right of every citizen, but it's illegal to own a computer. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts