Dish Network Dolby Digital

TCarson

Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Are there any Dish Network non-HD programs that are in DOlby DIgital. I just got a new 625 and have it hooked up to my Onkyo reciever with optical cable. In set up I have it to decode in DD/pcm. I get everything in PCM is this normal for most programs. Do I have to rent a pay per view for DD to work.

If the program info shows 'DD', you should be getting Dolby. I had a 510 hooked up to my Pioneer receiver via optical and had no problem getting Dolby Digital.

I think the only non-HD channels that have DD on them are HBO and Showtime.

Let's not forget many of the PPV channels are set up for DD. But I do have Starz and Cinemax, and have never seen anything on the latter that lights up the pretty blue light on my Sony receiver. Even the Starz DD is only on the main east and west feeds, and I am often surprised that many recent movies don't have it. It seems like they hold off on using it unless it's a very recent title.

sigmtr

I have the little blue light too! Mainly see it on HBO and PPV. I think (but can't be sure) that i've seen it once or twice on Cinemax.

Most non-premium channels will never have DD though.

Dish does not carry DD for many of the premium channels that provide it.

For example Showtime provides DD audio tracks on selected programs on not only their primary -East and -West channels, but on every channel they offer, including the TMC and Flix channels. However Dish only passes it through on the -E, -W, & HD channels.

So it must be a bandwidth conservation scheme I guess. With my old 4900, a DD PPV would cause the receiver to hang a few times at least during the movie. Now the 625 can handle about anything you throw at it, but even so there are some recent titles that show up as Dolby Digital 2.0 (stereo) rather than the full-blown 5.1 Surround Sound. Does anyone know how much more data it adds to a stream?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts