Dish Network DSL Internet Service

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, I was paying my bill online and see that Dish is advertising a high speed DSL option. I have Comcast cable HSI and they are going up to $56.95/mo. next month. I am currently paying $42.95.

Does anyone have Dish HSI? If so, how does the speed & price compare to cable HSI? I have the top 60 sub with a DVR and local channels. I do know that I have 4 Megs. on d-loads with cable. Also, how much does Dish charge to existing customers a month for HSI- DSL?

Thanks all.:confused:

The DSL is actually with whatever phone company bundle (Sprint, AT&T, etc) that has Dish combined together.

Typically my bill is about $14/month, if you look at the individual breakdown.

I appreciate that. I am used to fast downloads and DSL is far slower than cable. I also know that the farther away from the origin point of transmission the speed gets slower. I don't know about being transmitted via satellite, but I don't want slower downloads. I have been told that the best DSL can do compared to cable is about 7-10 times slower. Thanks for your reply.

I just hate the thought of paying Comcast an extra $16/mo. for what Adelphia charged me for 5 years. I'm also a Dish customer because cable offers no top 60 type packages. I only watch about 7 cable channels and we get HBO about 6 months a year. And Comcast charges $10/mo. for the DVR rental. Bummer!

It all depends on what you're used to as far as transfer rates. At least here in NE Ohio, typical downloads for cable are around 2 - 2.5 M....DSL isn't too far behind that. For example, the "basic" DSL I'm using is approx 1.4/1.5'ish.

A better example...it takes me about 1 minute to download a 10 Meg file...as opposed to the average cable user, who is going to have said file in about 50 seconds.

AT&T offers DSL at 6mbps for $34.99. 3mbps for $24.99, 1.5mbps for $19.99, and 768kbps for $14.99.

True, DSL is slower the farther you are from the central office or router...which is why they don't offer it if you're something like more than a 1/4 mile away.

It's really a trade-off with cable as they're slower depending how many people are online at any given time but distance is not a factor. DSL is a direct line so the number of people online doesn't affect speed.

It's really a trade-off with cable as they're slower depending how many people are online at any given time but distance is not a factor. DSL is a direct line so the number of people online doesn't affect speed.

So true, I love how cable companies always play the distance card on DSL but, never mention there "partyline" shared bandwidth.

My old "4mb" comcast cable modem service pales in comparison to my current ATT 3mb DSL. Not to mention the DSL costs about half as much.

"...DSL is far slower than cable. I also know that the farther away from the origin point of transmission the speed gets slower. I don't know about being transmitted via satellite, but I don't want slower downloads. I have been told that the best DSL can do compared to cable is about 7-10 times slower...."

As noted, DSL is NOT far slower than cable. It depends upon where you are. In my case, things can be snapping along, and suddenly crawl or stop, as someone else in my neighborhood starts using their cable internet connection. And I don't believe cable ever gets 10 times faster. Not remotely, not even in a burst. On the whole, I was happier with DSL than I am with cable. YMMV.

The sites you access are likely the big speed limiter for your service, anyway. Faster connections at your end do not always mean you get anything any faster.

I can't get DSL where I'm at. Too far to the CO. But I'm hearing good news about Fios- might get that going in a few months. It varies by the technology used, but DSL generally will be offered up to around 13,000 feet from the CO.

Satellite, such as WildBlue, can be reasonably fast on the download, but some have posted that they also suffer from slower speeds as more go online. They may be oversubscribed. And they have rather low download limits, plus high latency. They're really for rural areas where there are no other choices. Dish is not offering "DSL via satellite" they're offering "DSL via local telco."

I have been very happy with my Qwest DSL - 1.5 mps line. Knock on wood it has never gone down and always up to speed. I have had it since July 05. I had mediacom who had 1.5 mbps at the time and that was a dog. Always going down, slooooow. When I did a speed test, the DSL actually was faster at my location than the Cable. For what I use the internet for - email, web surfing, DSL has been great! Our Mediacom for internet is $65 per month! DSL is $25. So, I can't justify $65, but $25 is more what I am after.

AT&T offers DSL at 6mbps for $34.99. 3mbps for $24.99, 1.5mbps for $19.99, and 768kbps for $14.99.

True, DSL is slower the farther you are from the central office or router...which is why they don't offer it if you're something like more than a 1/4 mile away.

Is there a "catch" with AT&T for their DSL? The local phone co. forces you to buy all their dopey phone crap to get a "deal" on their crummy DSL service. I only have a bare bones land line and I would dump it if I didn't have a fax machine.

$34.95/mo. sure sounds good if there's no contract. I do like going month to month with cable.

I have been very happy with my Qwest DSL - 1.5 mps line. Knock on wood it has never gone down and always up to speed. I have had it since July 05. I had mediacom who had 1.5 mbps at the time and that was a dog. Always going down, slooooow. When I did a speed test, the DSL actually was faster at my location than the Cable. For what I use the internet for - email, web surfing, DSL has been great! Our Mediacom for internet is $65 per month! DSL is $25. So, I can't justify $65, but $25 is more what I am after.

Yes, the "key" is how I use it. I download tons of pictures from the web, but don't care how fast uploads are. I don't like waiting for d-loads. My time & patience are limited and I can't even imagine having dial up ever again. I wish Comcast would come out with different basic cable packages like Dish. They're so rigid about the all or nothing packages with no top 60 for guys like me. Oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)