Dish Network DVR

jdubs

Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
I just put my Tivo to rest along with my digital cable. It was great while it lasted but I needed to move on. When I had Tivo, I could record a show and watch another on the same tv. On my other TV, I could tape two shows at once and watch another(dual tuner). *sigh* Is there anyway at all to do this with Dish DVR?

-jdubs

The ViP622 can record 3 HD programs while you watch two prerecorded others on the two outputs (one HD the other downrezzed to SD), or you can watch a live program from any of three tuners on either output while it records. There are a couple of minor limitations to this scenario, i.e., ota ATSC and SAT1 tuners are for output TV1 only.

I have a total of 5 tv's in my house. Two HD boxes and 3 old SD boxes. My community gives us a simple tv package (basically basic cable plus some sd premiums). I have the house wired all to a single box in my bedroom closet.

From there I have my satalite go out (two to my main tv and two to the bedroom) this hooks up both of my 622's. I have both 622's feed back to the box which has a reversed 3 way splitter taking the cable and both 622's TV2 output and bringing them out as a single cable. That cable is split between all the tv's in the house.

This allows me to watch anything recorded on any DVR on any TV in the house. With this setup I can record 6 things at the same time (2 OTA and 4 via Satalite).

Mind you I could hook up my living room tv to the OTA and record that in HD since it has the capabilites, but it hasn't been a priority. :) I still have Tivo hooked up in a spare bedroom, but we mostly use that for copying to the PSP. (really wish dish would allow this, could ditch the tivo at that point . hehe, sounds like a good commercial slogan)

Anyway, my point being the way I have things setup I can watch something and record 5 shows at the same time. I haven't gotten to the point where wanted to watch some other show and all systems were recording. Hope that helps. :)

jdubs said:
Is there anyway at all to do this with Dish DVR?

Depends on what Dish DVR you have. If it is a new unit (and you didn't buy something off of Ebay), you have a dual-tuner DVR, which is very flexible. Some older Dish DVR units only have a single tuner, like my 510, but I believe all the new units (the 622 and 625) are dual-tuner.

Response

I have two TV's I want to set up. I have a dual tuner DVR (625) right now. Do I need two Dual Tuner DVR's?

None of my TV's are HD, yet.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm assuming your Dish DVR is either a 522 or 625. Just put that bad boy in singlemode. That's the short and quick way to watch one show and record another.

Unfortunately, when you do that you "sacrifice" TV#2 and make it a mirror-image of TV#1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts