Dish Network Earnings Call

Potentially, but there are still no numbers and he stated SciFiHD subs. If you include everyone that gets the channel versus who really watches it, how can that be accurate?

Jac's argument is incredibly ironic, as I spent six months pointing out that nobody outside these Forums watches SciFi. The ratings are far lower than 1.0 .

His argument is "Zero is way more than zero." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Outside of ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX (i.e. "HD Locals") nothing even makes the meter move unless there is a sports component (e.g. "WWE Raw" or "NBA Playoffs").

?? well if you watch MHD you know they carry Soundstage and are not part of VOOM--MHD(MTV ETC)

Also you can view first run of Soundstage on your local PBS station.

I love Rave for Later With Jools Holland. I've found so many new acts I love from watching that show. It's exposed me to more new music then any other network. Will miss it for sure.

I love Rave for Later With Jools Holland. I've found so many new acts I love from watching that show. It's exposed me to more new music then any other network. Will miss it for sure.

You must be in the cultured 1%. You mean you're not in the majority that would love for this channel to be replaced by a 24 hr HD american idol channel?

Luckily, Jools is on a couple of other channels...I believe ovation and fuse? but the quality, especially the sound is just plain awefull compared to Rave HD.

You must be in the cultured 1%. You mean you're not in the majority that would love for this channel to be replaced by a 24 hr HD american idol channel?

Luckily, Jools is on a couple of other channels...I believe ovation and fuse? but the quality, especially the sound is just plain awefull compared to Rave HD.

Yes Devil, I've seen a few Fuse episodes and while SD isn't my cup of tea, Fuse is BD (below def).

I agree with some others.... IMHO this whole Voom thing feels like manipulation by Charlie. It's the timing. If it were really a matter of bandwidth (we know it isn't) or some such excuse, Charlie could have put out a announcement last week saying "In order to get these 22 HD channels, we are going to reduce the amount of Voom channels to create the needed bandwidth." Given the choice before all this happened I would bet most members of this forum would have jumped for joy. By taking out two thirds of Voom less than 24 hours after completing their 22 channel rollout (over the past couple of weeks)... well, it just smacks of manipulation. Just give it some time....

nope... just sd... a an hd holder but that is compelling tv to E* and some E* subs would rather watch the SD upconverted. I do not get it myself (that is why the channel is being labeled as an hd channel).

We love the Voom movie channels. If they go there is nothing similar to take their place. If this keeps up we will just downgrade to the HD only pack for the remainder of our contract.

You all have good points here about the Voom channels, but as a DISH Network Sales Partner and one of the Top 20 retailers for DISH Network, Voom did absolutly nothing to help us along with the sales process and to help keep customers.

When the Origional Voom Satellite service went out of business back in 2005, DISH Network having the Voom channels helped convert alot of these customers over, today its not an issue.

First of all what everyone needs to understand is that the people who read this forum, are totally opposite from the typical DISH Network customer.

Whenever I make a sale from a member of this board, I would say probably 99% of the time I sell them an HD/DVR and probably 75% of the time they take the $20 HD package, instead of the $10 HD package. Im addition just about everyone from this board comes up as a Premimum customer with good credit. In addition members from this board are willing to spend money out of pocket for upgrades, like for a 2nd HD/DVR.

When I get a typical sale on the telephone, I would estimate about a good 25% of those customers have atleast 1 HDTV, however less than 10% are willing to spend the $10 per month for the HD programming. I get about 50% premimum customers, and they never want to spend anything out of pocket!

In addition, the customers NEVER sign up for the $20 HD package, they almost always go with the $10 Package.

Not one of these customers I have spoken to have expressed an intrest on Voom, I name off the channels and the typical responce is that the customer says they never heard of them and are not intrested!.

In my eyes, the USA, SCIFI, Disney is a way better value to people than the Voom Stations.

Also since Voom was almost exclusive to DISH, the customers who they do piss off really have no other choice to get those channels. Directv is an option, but customers will not switch if DISH has just about the same channels as Directv!

You all have good points here about the Voom channels, but as a DISH Network Sales Partner and one of the Top 20 retailers for DISH Network, Voom did absolutly nothing to help us along with the sales process and to help keep customers.

When the Origional Voom Satellite service went out of business back in 2005, DISH Network having the Voom channels helped convert alot of these customers over, today its not an issue.

First of all what everyone needs to understand is that the people who read this forum, are totally opposite from the typical DISH Network customer.
Whenever I make a sale from a member of this board, I would say probably 99% of the time I sell them an HD/DVR and probably 75% of the time they take the $20 HD package, instead of the $10 HD package. Im addition just about everyone from this board comes up as a Premimum customer with good credit. In addition members from this board are willing to spend money out of pocket for upgrades, like for a 2nd HD/DVR.

When I get a typical sale on the telephone, I would estimate about a good 25% of those customers have atleast 1 HDTV, however less than 10% are willing to spend the $10 per month for the HD programming. I get about 50% premimum customers, and they never want to spend anything out of pocket!

In addition, the customers NEVER sign up for the $20 HD package, they almost always go with the $10 Package.

Not one of these customers I have spoken to have expressed an intrest on Voom, I name off the channels and the typical responce is that the customer says they never heard of them and are not intrested!.In my eyes, the USA, SCIFI, Disney is a way better value to people than the Voom Stations.

Also since Voom was almost exclusive to DISH, the customers who they do piss off really have no other choice to get those channels. Directv is an option, but customers will not switch if DISH has just about the same channels as Directv!

In all the HD upgrades and new connects that I have done, I can only recall once that someone asked me about VOOM.

Not to be sexist (just stating the tendencies that I have observed), but must men want the ESPNs in HD, TNT HD, etc., etc., so they can see THEIR games in HD. And most women want to see FOOD HD, etc., etc.

And almost all want their Locals in HD. They are numero uno if they can get them in their area.

I believe in the retailer chat thread that Charlie refers to his managing style as that of a poker player. IMO, Charlie is betting that he will gain way more subs than he will lose by replacing VOOM with other HD channels.

And also IMO, he is right. If I was him, I would go "All-in" with this bet.

Wanna bet? Unless Dish has something very special up their sleeve, I'll be gone at the end of my contract just out of spite. Also, how is Dish programming even close to DirectTV? MLB Package anyone?

Charlie says some of the churn is because of Pirarcy (huh?) and says this summer they will patch holes in their system.
they must be having a major problem with piracy?i heard people doing it with express view here in canada.why dont they use inbeded cards in all of their settop boxes like star choice doses?
seems they dont have any problems in that area.

Not one of these customers I have spoken to have expressed an intrest on Voom, I name off the channels and the typical responce is that the customer says they never heard of them and are not intrested!.

In my eyes, the USA, SCIFI, Disney is a way better value to people than the Voom Stations.

This post explains everything in a nutshell. Not that the HD snobs will agree.

This post explains everything in a nutshell. Not that the HD snobs will agree.

HD Snob here with my 8 foot screen.

I completely agree with what he said. However, you don't slam your best customers in order to get your business model back on track. Dish was always a word of mouth business. Apparently, that has changed.

HD Snob here with my 8 foot screen.

I completely agree with what he said. However, you don't slam your best customers in order to get your business model back on track. Dish was always a word of mouth business. Apparently, that has changed.

I'm willing to bet that their focus groups had their best customers involved. I'm considered a best customer, AEP +HD ultimate, get Gameplan every year as well. I don't consider this a big loss *as long as* they uplink other HD channels in the next couple weeks in place of the Voom's.

By the way, I have a 110" diagonal screen myself... TV size doesn't mean you are a great customer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts