Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just got the following in my inbox.

Emergency Alert System (EAS) Testing

On Tuesday Dish will be conducting a test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS).
This test will take place at approximately 5am EDT and will last approximately 60 seconds.

I didn't know Dish was part of the EAS. Interesting. National alerts only, I presume.

This is why the Weather Channel Interactive has been delayed. ;)

Scott, once this is implemented...will this eas feature be seen on all the channels and how will that work as far as geographical location...via spot beam to a targeted demographic area of the country? Will this be like the local on the 8's that can be watched on local cable systems.....thanks...rolou21.

As crazy as this sounds, anyone wanna record it? Ill be asleep, would love to see a national implemtation of the EAS, aside from well, one issued from the President!

EAS is weather only. What is a "national weather emergency" ?? I'm not interested in bad weather in California anymore than Californians are interested in Ohio weather.

EAS is the Emergency Alert System. AM/FM/TV/Cable have to broadcast its messages.. Alerts can be other things besides weather, in fact with the exception of a few warnings (such as Tornado, Flood and I think Winter Storm if I remember right) terrestriral stations and cable dont have to pass thru..

Now EAS can also be used for earth quakes, Nuclear and other national emergencies, thus why someone mentioned national alerts.

Now,
with the interactive weather coming on board, Dish could techincally by you entering your zipcode, only provide you the EAS for your area.. in theory.

4:57am... I am tuned in to The Science Channel.... Will let you all know what happens.

5:04 am... Nothing yet. Going to bed now. :) I will report if something pops up before I doze off.

See ya
Tony

4:57am... I am tuned in to The Science Channel.... Will let you all know what happens.

5:04 am... Nothing yet. Going to bed now. :) I will report if something pops up before I doze off.

See ya
Tony

At 4:59:30A, recorded both 625 & 622 receivers to the weather ch. (214) and it was interupted with a "EAS TEST" on the top of the screen (black screen) for about 10-15 seconds then returned to programming....rolou21.

OK, to clarify my question- Will Dish only be sending the same EAS info across all areas/subscribers, or will it be targeted to certain areas only, as appropriate?

EAS activation was not necessary - every local media outlet that was on the air was covering the story. Now, had we known that an attack was coming ahead of time - I would have supported EAS activation 100 percent.

But when every local media outlet (and indeed, every national outlet as well) is covering it, there would be no real reason to activate EAS unless Mayor (at the time) Giuliani felt that he needed to make a statement that wouldn't have been carried by the media. What media wouldn't have carried anything he had to say that day?

Same here, black screen, EAS TEST , top center for around 30 seconds, atleast alot less forboding looking than Comcast's EAS channel on the QAM tuner!, for what its worth, attached an image of that (the COMCAST one).

So the placecard channels are there, in hopes, they will never be used, but if they were on a nationa level atleast, we would all be screwed anyways.

Does help for local issues however, weather emergencies, and incase of any Nuclear Power station emergencies!

Edit: Just making it clear, the attached image is of the COMCAST one, dish one is black screen, EAS TEST in white at the top!

Attachments

• Screenshot0.png
    Screenshot0.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,316
At 4:59:30A, recorded both 625 & 622 receivers to the weather ch. (214) and it was interupted with a "EAS TEST" on the top of the screen (black screen) for about 10-15 seconds then returned to programming....rolou21.

Care to post shots, or make a vid for youtube for those who didn't see this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)