Dish Network External Hard Drive

After going months with no hard drive problems, today my one Hopper3 failed to show the two external hard drives. I powered down each hard drive and they both reappeared when they powered back up. The external hard drive on my second Hopper3 never disappeared. So after months with no problems I finally had an issue but it was quickly fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
My wife brought to my attention that our external dish network provided hard drive is no longer showing up on our recorded items....We have a lot of stuff on there....When I unplug the power and wait a bit then plug it back in I am asked if I want to reformat this device. Doing this will erase all the movies and programs that we have saved.....Is there any work around this? Some have mentioned that this happened after a software update on the 5th of Dec.

guessing your superblock needs to be repaired. the h3 sees the drive, thats why it asks to reformat.
repairing the superblock will keep all your recordings in tact, nothing will be lost.

i had to do this more than a few times with my 622/722 days. recently had my h3 scramble a drive i was able to recover and keep all my recordings, about 1.2tb worth of data.
i have not had my h3 drive disappear since rebuilding the file structure. before that it would go offline. when the drive was recognized, i would choose it in the dvr menu and it showed no recordings. guessing thats why it was not being shown

How did you recovered the data?

guessing your superblock needs to be repaired. the h3 sees the drive, thats why it asks to reformat.
repairing the superblock will keep all your recordings in tact, nothing will be lost.

i had to do this more than a few times with my 622/722 days. recently had my h3 scramble a drive i was able to recover and keep all my recordings, about 1.2tb worth of data.
i have not had my h3 drive disappear since rebuilding the file structure. before that it would go offline. when the drive was recognized, i would choose it in the dvr menu and it showed no recordings. guessing thats why it was not being shown

data was never lost,
are you asking about repairing the superblock ?? or are you asking about when my hopper3 tossed all my files in the lost&found ??

the superblock is stored in several locations on the drive, basically it takes a backup to overwrite or repair the bad one.
this is all done in linux, ext2 is the format of the drive