Status
Please reply by conversation.

cybersonic

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
Hi,

here's a complete newbie question...

I have been receiving an international channel through Dish Network for a while now, and have been quite happy with that. However,starting 1/1/05 that channel is now broadcast for free through the IntelSat satellite. I wasn't going to bother, but now Dish Network has decided to stop broadcasting this channel on 3/31/05 because everyone can get it for free.
So, I need to get extra equipment to get this channel in the future. I know next to nothing about receivers/antennas/dishes/etc. so I'm desperately looking for some help here... :confused:

I presume I can't use my Dish receiver for this (I currently have a model 4900 receiver, with 2 dishes)? I want to keep using Dish Network for my other channels, so I'm wondering what other equipment I need to get the channel from IntelSat. Can I share dishes (I currently have 2 for Dish Network)? Or do I need an extra dish with its own cable into an FTA receiver (basically a completely parallel system)? What should I get? Any recommendations?
Any information appreciated!
Thx,
Chris.

Satellite: Intelsat Americas 5
Transponder: 11
Polarisation: vertical
Frequency: 11.929 GHz Ku-band
Symbol rate: 22.000
FEC: ¾

Head over to the FTA Forums (a few links below the Dish Network forum on the main page) You will need at least a 30" dish + KU LNBF to receive that paticular internatinoal channel FTA, You will also need a receiver such as a Pansat.. etc.. If you go to the FTA Forums here on Satellite Guys, the fine helpful folks can point you in the right direction.

looks like the OP needs his BVN :)

you will need a complete system for it. they aren't interchangable

You can get a system (receiver, 30" dish and LNB) for under a couple hundred (maybe 150) and theres no extra charges (and there is one helluva bunch of ethnic channels on IA5) :)

Come on over to the FTA section...we'll treat ya well :D

Thanks!

Thanks guys for the lightning fast response! Amazing!
I've started a new thread on the FTA forum.
Chris.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts