Dish Network + extra channel from IntelSat - equipment question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cybersonic

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 3, 2005
Hi,

here's a complete newbie question...

I have been receiving an international channel through Dish Network for a while now, and have been quite happy with that. However,starting 1/1/05 that channel is now broadcast for free through the IntelSat satellite. I wasn't going to bother, but now Dish Network has decided to stop broadcasting this channel on 3/31/05 because everyone can get it for free.
So, I need to get extra equipment to get this channel in the future. I know next to nothing about receivers/antennas/dishes/etc. so I'm desperately looking for some help here... :confused:

I presume I can't use my Dish receiver for this (I currently have a model 4900 receiver, with 2 dishes)? I want to keep using Dish Network for my other channels, so I'm wondering what other equipment I need to get the channel from IntelSat. Can I share dishes (I currently have 2 for Dish Network)? Or do I need an extra dish with its own cable into an FTA receiver (basically a completely parallel system)? What should I get? Any recommendations?
Any information appreciated!
Thx,
Chris.

Satellite: Intelsat Americas 5
Transponder: 11
Polarisation: vertical
Frequency: 11.929 GHz Ku-band
Symbol rate: 22.000
FEC: ¾

mattb

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Columbus, OH, USA
Head over to the FTA Forums (a few links below the Dish Network forum on the main page) You will need at least a 30" dish + KU LNBF to receive that paticular internatinoal channel FTA, You will also need a receiver such as a Pansat.. etc.. If you go to the FTA Forums here on Satellite Guys, the fine helpful folks can point you in the right direction.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
looks like the OP needs his BVN :)

you will need a complete system for it. they aren't interchangable

You can get a system (receiver, 30" dish and LNB) for under a couple hundred (maybe 150) and theres no extra charges (and there is one helluva bunch of ethnic channels on IA5) :)

Come on over to the FTA section...we'll treat ya well :D

cybersonic

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 3, 2005
Thanks!

Thanks guys for the lightning fast response! Amazing!
I've started a new thread on the FTA forum.
Chris.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)