Dish Network goes global?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Frank7004

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
Indiana
If you can't tell by my avatar, I am a former Marine. I have many friends, stationed all over the world. They would like Dish/American programming. Sure, they have cable offered on base, and minimal programming offered off base but nothing like Dish. I would like to know the legality of setting up their accounts at my house, and hooking up a sling allowing them to watch live TV overseas. No ill intentions other than giving service members access to live American TV.

Technically\legally, I would think that I can not do this. Worse case, I could give them access to my account. That wouldn't be a bad idea, except that DVR would/could get tied up a bit, unless I added a large external hard drive. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Can multiple people watch sling programming from multiple IP's on sling? If this is the case, I may just go this route. Get another 722 with a sling.

Also, I think that dish could do this. Offer "online" dish service.

-Frank

Last edited:
If you can't tell by my avatar, I am a former Marine. I have many friends, stationed all over the world. They would like Dish/American programming. Sure, they have cable offered on base, and minimal programming offered off base but nothing like Dish. I would like to know the legality of setting up their accounts at my house, and hooking up a sling allowing them to watch live TV overseas. No ill intentions other than giving service members access to live American TV.

Technically\legally, I would think that I can not do this. Worse case, I could give them access to my account. That wouldn't be a bad idea, except that DVR would/could get tied up a bit, unless I added a large external hard drive. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Can multiple people watch sling programming from multiple IP's on sling? If this is the case, I may just go this route. Get another 722 with a sling.

Also, I think that dish could do this. Offer "online" dish service.

-Frank

They are actually offering internationals over ip right now. It wouldn't be hard to do the same thing with the rest of the American programming and an ip box for people all over the world. Imagine the vast untapped market out there for those who want DISH and can't get it because of line of sight issues,not to mention over seas service men and women . As long as their is sufficient internet there should be a way to do it.

Yes, you could do it technically.. but legally, I'm sure there's something buried in the agreement that doesn't allow that. ...The promotion stuff says TV 'everywhere' but not to 'anybody' or 'everybody'.

I haven't read up on the sling/online rules, but I would think that any military person serving overseas could have a Dish Sling-enabled DVR at home in USA and log into their own account.

Spoke to a friend. He claims there is a sat company in Japan that is offering sling programming for super expensive....

Dish, ill be happy to take your network global. :) Let me know when you're ready :)

Sling can send TV sound and pix anywhere the internet can support it.

Set up a Slingbox (even SD would work) and it will support one viewer at a time almost anywhere in the world (some nations may block certain transmissions).

IVI is pretty inexpensive and can be month by month (so they can try it without getting stuck) - it is American broadcast TV - no cable networks - but a lot of good television. You just need to download a player. Some of the channels may not be available internationally, though I am not sure if that applies to American bases abroad.

Last edited:
You should read the article on this link.

It's from 2007.

Is It Illegal To Help Someone Watch TV Over Their Computer? | Techdirt

Also I don't think it's legal because most TV shows have global distribution licensing agreements.
and that would violate the agreement, this is why Dish & Direct are not permitted in Canada.

as Canadian TV stations purchase the rights to broadcast the TV shows in Canada, and this would be same as any other country.
Same goes for movies, it's all about money on global licensing and distribution of media. Now would AFB's in other countries be considered US
territory?

Can these guys get access to Hulu.com ?

You should read the article on this link.

It's from 2007.

Is It Illegal To Help Someone Watch TV Over Their Computer? | Techdirt

Also I don't think it's legal because most TV shows have global distribution licensing agreements.
and that would violate the agreement, this is why Dish & Direct are not permitted in Canada.

as Canadian TV stations purchase the rights to broadcast the TV shows in Canada, and this would be same as any other country.
Same goes for movies, it's all about money on global licensing and distribution of media. Now would AFB's in other countries be considered US
territory?

Can these guys get access to Hulu.com ?

A spoofed IP address would likely be required (easy to do) to gain access as Hulu would likely restrict access from IP addresses overseas due to licensing/copyright.

If you have a legal Dish account hooked up to Sling there is no way to know where "you" are accessing your account. There is nothing illegal about this.

If you are talking about accessing in multiple locations you just need multiple accounts here in the states with Dish & Sling. I would consider what Claude recommended.

Now keep in mind that if you guys are using Sat technology to receive your internet there will be delay and picture breakage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)