Dish Network HD811 receiver picture jump

gplesa

Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Hello everyone,

This is my very first posting so please excuse my lack of technical terms. I have a Dish Network HD 811 receiver that was having TWO seperate issues. The first problem was a frequent Picture freeze problem when viewing HD channels that only could be corrected by selecting UP or DOWN channels and returning then returning to the program I was orginally watching. The second issue was about once every minute there is a picture JUMP as if there is a split second stall in the picture and them the frame jumps forward as if someone is skipping a one FRAME in a movie reel. It continually occurs and is minor but greatly annoying while watching HD. Over time the picture freezing bagan to occurr frequently and finally froze completely. Dish Network has since replaced the 811 receiver in September 2004, and the new one is doing the EXACT same thing. Has anyone else experieced either of these issues and how did you correct the problem? The MOST annoying issue is the picture frame skip or jump. In ALL cases the audio is perfect.

Thanks for your input.

Welcome to the forums :) and welcome to the rough life of a 811 owner :(

What you have described is a common problem with HD channels with the 811. Wether it is problems with their compression or the 811 unit is debatable... some have found that an increased satelite signal helps, but I'd say up to once an hour is normal. Mine does it about once a week, but I don't watch a whole lot of tv.

couple of questions to try and help.

1) is the HD content you are watching via the HDpack (HDNET DiscHD etc via DISH) or local OTA (via your antenna NOT the dish)?

1a) If, via the HDpack, then do you have trees in the way of your LOS (line of site) i.e. if you look from the dish to wherever it points in the sky, does it look like trees might be in the way?

2) what signal levels are you seeing from your satellite (go to the setup menus and point dish screen). what signal level numbers do uyou get from 110 or 119? Any other satellites you can see?

The picture from dish is a digital MPEG2 stream and this can suffer (or survive?) dropouts quite well, but it gives the appearance you describe (lost frames, jerky picture etc).

Let us know and we'll try and suggest things to try and do.

gplesa said:
Hello everyone,

This is my very first posting so please excuse my lack of technical terms. I have a Dish Network HD 811 receiver that was having TWO seperate issues. The first problem was a frequent Picture freeze problem when viewing HD channels that only could be corrected by selecting UP or DOWN channels and returning then returning to the program I was orginally watching. The second issue was about once every minute there is a picture JUMP as if there is a split second stall in the picture and them the frame jumps forward as if someone is skipping a one FRAME in a movie reel. It continually occurs and is minor but greatly annoying while watching HD. Over time the picture freezing bagan to occurr frequently and finally froze completely. Dish Network has since replaced the 811 receiver in September 2004, and the new one is doing the EXACT same thing. Has anyone else experieced either of these issues and how did you correct the problem? The MOST annoying issue is the picture frame skip or jump. In ALL cases the audio is perfect.

Thanks for your input.

Welcome aboard!!!

Are you seeing this with both OTA (Over the Air) and Dish HD channels or just one type of channel. That would help in suggesting what you might do. I have an 811 and personally I have not seen this particular issue.

THANK YOU TO ALL FOR THE REPLIES.

My staellite has a 100% unobstructed line of sight to the sky and I get over 100% signal level from satellites 110 and 119.

I have the digital package top60 and HDpack with NO over attenna connections.

My signal is 100% from Dish Network through the 811 receiver.

I am getting what is called "Stuttering Video" with a freezing of the image ONLY with the HDpack.

I get a what is described as a "Jerky Picture" once every minute while watching ALL standard programming which is NOT part of the HDpack.

What you are describing fits the description as a dropout and the picture recovers causing the jerky picture once every minute and it's always constant and never changes.

So far with my contact with Dish Network so far, there official response is that there is NO known problems with the unit that can cause this symptom. I have received this response from at least 5 different people at Dish since July 2004 which I now know to be not to be true and I don't understand why they are in denial and that is why I wanted to get your kind input here.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN and any further information would be greatly appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)